This thread is privately moderated by pjdog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 26, 2011, 05:35 PM
Jack
Thread OP
Discussion

Starting over with another F&L

I sure wish I hadn't lost my control with the first F&L but it's to late now. This will be a better twin than the first one. Main parts are cut out.

Got the main spar from the first F&L put on this wing. Also installed the nose wheel off the first F&L on this fuselage. I might add that this fuselage is a little longer. It's also cut and ready to be attached to the wing. I need better spruce for the booms. The ones I have are a little warped. I'll go to Home Depot in the morning and get more spruce. I decided to build a single motor and a twin motor at the same time. I would also like to make a pusher. Like the British Meteor I think it was called.

Mounted the firewall and motors. Also got the nose wheel to the correct position and length.

Now I must make some proper engine Nacelles. I've been studying P-38's on the net trying to get a correct nacelle profile shape. I notced the P-38's don't have engine exhaust pipes like the P-51, Spitfire, P-40. I guess it's because of the supercharging or Turbocharging. Which ever it had. Turob I guess.

I saw in the net where an American WWII pilot was buzzing along over Germany with a wing man. He saw a group of fifty (50) ME-109's. He and his wing man dove down on the Me-109's after dropping there wing tanks. His engines quit just as he fired on the first 109. He scored hits and downed the plane. He reset the fuel feed and restarted his engines and dove down on a P-51 that was being chased by two (2) 109's. He went so fast he went throught the two (2) 109's and was at such speed his controls were not effective (Compressability). After reaching denser air the speed slowed and the controls worked and he was pulling out of the drive when a 109 was shooting at him. He pulled up and left hard and put the P-38 in a stall rolled right and caught the 109 with a burst of fire. In the fight he downed 3 Me-109's. Must have been scary to be a fighter pilot in those days. The P-38 was so big and heavy I don't think it was a great dog fighter but it was very fast for the day.

Started the single motor F&L today. In the morning I'll make the rest of the landing gear mounts and the nose motor mount. I got a new Exceed rocket series motor for it. I bought three motor all different sizes. I'll use the one that best suits the plane.

I've never used these Exceed rocket motors before and I didn't know how to mount them on the F&L. I bought several types of motor mounts and got one that will fit but it's rods not long enough. The motor needs another 1/4 of an inch for the motor to fit inside the mount. I ordered another today from RCDUDE. SO the single motor is on hold waiting for parts.

Got the motor mount and installed it on the single motor F&L. Now for paint.

Booms are sanded. Now for some fine sand paper and paint.

Just got the paint from Home Depot. A light finish sanding and I'm painting. I've got to get a couple more Receiver's from China. Sense they are so cheap (6.99) I have a receiver for all my planes. I have two AR7000's but they are for the Fokker DR1's. One of the DR1's has a AR6100 in it. I'l get it out to test the F&L. Should be this week.

Making great progress today getting ready for paint. Installed the hings for the controll surfaces on both planes. Installed the carbon fiber rods for elevator support (both planes). Hope to get to paint this after noon.

Painting foam is tough. I hate it.

I have found that if I use just a little water while painting the F&L's with Home Depot water base paint that the paint goes on much smoother. Looks nasty while wet but when it dries it's good. Paint coming along nice. The twin is dark tan and trimmed in Yellow. The single motor is very light gray trimmed in Red.

Painting almost done. Made Decals today.

Painting done. How for the decals. Then radio.

Time for radio installation.

It's been three weeks sense I've worked on the F&L's planes. Today I got the radio installed into the single motor. I still have to sort out all the wires. They are all over the place and looks bad. I'll finish that in the morning. Can't wait to give it a try.

Single motor is ready for the maiden flight. I do need to paint & mount the cowl.

Starting to put the radio in the twin F&L today. I've got one problem in the wiring I'm still a little confused about. But I have allot of work to do with servos and push rods so I'm going to get on it today. Maybe one of the Forum guys will provide some knowledge on ESC wiring for two motors.

Working on the twin F&L today. First thing I did today was break one of the twin rudders. Epoxy. I have three shelves over my work bench to hold stuff. I raised the bottom shelf up one level. I'm always hitting my planes one that bottom shelf. Installing servos and push rods. To hot outside today. Must be close to 100 out.

Servos in and I'm using a AR6200 receiver. Two 12A ESC's. I've got to make a 'Y'harness for the battery power to the ESC's.

I've moved the elevator servo out towards the nose of both F&L's and have it above the wing. That way the servos will pull the elevator up rather than push the elevator up.

Both F&L's are ready for the first flight. I hope I am. I'm real happy with these builds. Ready looking forward to the RED F&L pusher.

I need a tach. as the right motor seems to be pulling harder? I have other copies of the very same motors so all is not lost. I think I'll order a tech from nitro planes today.

Tried to fly both F&L and had problems with both. The single motor had an ESC issue. I was using an old helicopter ESC witha very slow startup. This didn't make the plane happy and when I tried to reprogram the ESC I cooked it. Had to order some new ones. The twin has the right motor pulling real hard and the left motor is not a strom. I can't get the plane down the runway. it wants to go right. At half motor it seems good but I don't trust it. So I've got to remotor the left side.

Ordered two more 40 amp ESC's and a Tachometer.

Had two different props on the twin. Very poor eye sight. I use three different pairs of glasses when build a plane. Guess I need to pay more attention.

I hate having to use the 6 inch/12 inch "y" harness to marry ailerions and twin motors or twin rudders. On my F&L's I have all kinds of wire ties trying to manage the wiring mess. I made this short "Y" by cutting down a long on. Works great and saves weight and mess.

New 40amp ESC's showed up today. Soldered the plugs on and tested the throttle response. It appears to be good so it's a go for tomorrows test flights on the single motor. Still waiting on my tachometer for the twin. I want to be sure that both motors are turning the same RPM.

Getting these two electric motors to turn the same RPM is a nightmare. I've tried everything and they are still way off. I think next I'll try a single ESC plumed to both motors. Then see if I can get two motors that will run close to one another. The twin ESC's and twin motors are off by almost 1000 RPM with 6x4 props. At half motor they are much closer but to me 1000 RPM difference is way to much.

Got a new harness soldered up to test one 40 AMP ESC driving both motors in hopes that they will turn the same rpm running in the same direction.

Installed the 40 AMP ESC in the twin F&L. It's turning 9700 RPM on both motors with a 6X4 prop at half motor. It was pulling really hard. I didn't feel comfortable to go full motor in sitting in front of it. I think maybe I'll go to a smaller battery too. Currently I've got a 2200 MHA. I think I'll do an 1800 MHA.

The sound of a twin sure is nice.

Maiden flight next after it cools down a little. I'm to old for 100F weather.
Last edited by pjdog; Aug 20, 2011 at 12:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts

Quick Reply