Jun 30, 2011, 03:30 AM
Auzzie built planks
Nice work on the La hammer.......it will be hammering up the back side in no time....
Latest blog entry: More colours
to remove ads between posts
Jun 30, 2011, 03:40 AM
working to the closest cm
Quote:
Originally Posted by Larrikin
The cores are in the bags. I was going to wait for the rain showers to stop before painting the primer onto the mylars but I want to keep the momentum going. I'll paint the plugs after.
Also got some glass over the balsa insert on the fuselage.
Productive day
David.
That's good progress Dave.

>Sliding a wing in a tube can be a bit tedious if the jackets move.

Yes can be a problem - especially if you are still doing the 'old school' of sliding jackets inside the bag

cheers jeff
Jun 30, 2011, 04:05 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by jirvin_4505
That's good progress Dave.

>Sliding a wing in a tube can be a bit tedious if the jackets move.

Yes can be a problem - especially if you are still doing the 'old school' of sliding jackets inside the bag

cheers jeff
Old School indeed. I did the fin first with the jackets on the outside but got myself in a bit of a mess. The whole time I was preparing to start laminating, I had that niggling feeling that as soon as I start stirring the epoxy my phone would ring with a business call. You can prolly see where this is going.
I'd planned on putting the wing and fin in the same bag but had to make a make-shift bag coz on the third layer of glass on the fin ... ring ring ... and double . A work call. Inconsiderate clients.
I got the fin under vacuum and went and did the business thing but then started running out of time to get the wing in the bag before the "boss" got home.
I wet out the skins on the mylars and screeded on a thin layer of balloons and resin onto the cores. It was fast and easy to build a sandwich from the bottom up, tape it together, place it carefully on the plastic and seal up bag and then evacuate it.
As old school as an ink well at the top of the desk. But it's done.
D.
Jun 30, 2011, 04:15 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck
Nice work on the La hammer.......it will be hammering up the back side in no time....
You can prolly tell I'm a bit fired up about this little rocket. I'd like to be flyin' one before the westerlies are done.
Turns out I bought 4 x JR 171 for my first Sniper but I reckon they'll go into 2 X Wabbits and get some MKS servos for the Sniper.
Might be a bit quiet over the next cuppla days while the wing and fin cure.
Chat in a few days.
D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jul 08, 2011 at 09:17 PM.
Jun 30, 2011, 04:28 AM
Auzzie built planks
Nice to see your progress.....you will be flying one before I'm finished my back side bandit...
I better start doing some very late mornings....
Jul 01, 2011, 04:13 AM
Thread OP

Confession time

Quote:
Nice to see your progress.....you will be flying one before I'm finished my back side bandit...
Yeeeeah ... about that. I have made the most basic and embarrassing of mistakes.
You've no doubt heard the expression, "haste makes waste". Yesterday, in my haste to get the wing in the bag, I somehow managed to put the core in the jackets upside-down.
I cant believe it. Pretty bummed, gotta start again
, and double
D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Jul 01, 2011 at 05:35 AM.
Jul 01, 2011, 04:52 AM
working to the closest cm
Quote:
Yeeeeah ... about that. I have made the most basic and embarrassing of mistakes.
You've no doubt heard the expression, "haste makes waste". Yesterday, in my haste to get the wing in the bag, I somehow managed to put the core in the jackets upside-down.
censored:, and double
D.

Ouch

I feel your pain Dave
Jul 01, 2011, 05:13 AM
Auzzie built planks
Bummmmmmmeerrrrrrrr mate......I have to admit.....I have done that aswell
Now that you have done that wing the next one will be easy and better....

Tim who's in him man cave waxing...
Jul 01, 2011, 05:26 AM
Subscribed
Jul 01, 2011, 05:33 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Bummmmmmmeerrrrrrrr mate......I have to admit.....I have done that aswell
Now that you have done that wing the next one will be easy and better....

Tim who's in him man cave waxing...
Yup, already cleaned up the mylars and organised to get some more glass and going to Ev's in the morning to cut new cores. Such a basic oversight ... I feel such a goose.
D.

Welcome to the circus, Kane
Jul 03, 2011, 06:21 PM
AvB
AvB
Wind, hill, ... I'm keen ...
Dave I love the way you do the vac bagging ... very different to how I do it and since I find it really hard and get pretty bad results, I think I need to take a few lessons! OK, I've resisted the tacky tape idea but will have to give it a go since my layups always end up sliding out of alignment with the handling. And I've been using huuuuuuuuge amounts of lead weight pressing on boards on the beds, but I get dimpling ... time to try less weight I think.

Mate I admire your honesty admitting to the cockup ... happens to me more than most and sometimes it's easier just to go quiet and hide!
Jul 03, 2011, 09:26 PM
Twisted and Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB

Mate I admire your honesty admitting to the cockup ... happens to me more than most and sometimes it's easier just to go quiet and hide!
When there's been a bit of a gap in a build thread after a frenzied pace, I sometimes wonder if this has happened. Done stupid things like this myself too, as has everyone no doubt
Jul 03, 2011, 09:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by AvB
Dave I love the way you do the vac bagging ... very different to how I do it and since I find it really hard and get pretty bad results, I think I need to take a few lessons!
Sensei Jeff is your guru. I'm still old school coz I haven't kept the finger on the pulse.

Quote:
OK, I've resisted the tacky tape idea but will have to give it a go since my layups always end up sliding out of alignment with the handling.
Consultation with Sensei Evan confirms the merit of placing the jackets on the outside of the bag. If you put the jackets on the inside and there is a mis-alignment issue the opportunity appears for inconsistent pressure by the jackets on the cores. If the cores are in the bag with the jackets outside there can only be uniform vacuum inside.

Quote:
And I've been using huuuuuuuuge amounts of lead weight pressing on boards on the beds, but I get dimpling ... time to try less weight I think.
Yeah, if you're vacuuming then you dont need a lot of weight on the jackets. In the past when having the jackets on the outside, I'd align the cores and jackets, add some weight to the jackets, get the wing under vacuum then check the alignment of the cores and jackets. Then completely release the vacuum for a cuppla minutes, let the cores settle into jackets and switch the vacuum back on. Dunno if this really helps much but I read it somewhere and it made sense so I did it.

Quote:
Cockup??? Where??? Doesn't everyone make 2 wings to get one that works???
It has been suggested that I should have put it through the band saw and continued like nothing had happened but confession is good for the soul. A person's true character is revealed when no one else is watching. I'm happy to admit when I things up ... as frustrating as it is. Challenges along the way can make the end result even sweeter.
David
Jul 03, 2011, 10:44 PM
It flies!
Quote:
, and double
D.

NNNooooo! Bummer David, it's so easy to make mistakes likes this. I've no doubt the next one will be even better than the first would have been.
Jul 03, 2011, 10:48 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sean Moloney
I've no doubt the next one will be even better than the first would have been.
It sure will, Sean. The glass is cut and may even make it into the vac bag this arvo ... if I could just get away from the 'puter

Quick Reply