Jun 26, 2011, 04:14 AM
Everything's A Compromise
Thread OP
Build Log

"Wabbit" DS Plank.

With the assistance of my Sniper team mates, I've ventured into somewhere I never thought I'd EVER go… flying a plank. After recently DSing with the locals for the first time, I've been inspired to create some moulds for a DS plank that should "go alright". The wing profile is the tried and true PW51 (within construction error) and I've kept the 1/4 chord line straight.
Wing Span is 1650mm (65"), Root chord is 200mm and the tip chord is 150mm offering an Aspect Ratio of about 9.5:1. The fuselage has been commandeered from a 60" slope model that I reckoned I'd never end up building anyway. Oddly enough, it looks remarkably like the old Renegade.

Evan and I cut the cores for the wing and the fin (NACA 0006) today. After taking to the old fuse with Jeff,s band saw, we had all we needed for the first hanger flight of "DaS Hammer".
There wont be anything new here and in the age of cheque book modeling I hope that others will have a go at being creative and building something of their own.
D.

Edit:- There's been a name change as of the 9/7/2011. The project name has changed from "DaS Hammer" to the "Wabbit".
Last edited by Larrikin; Nov 07, 2011 at 02:25 PM. Reason: fat fingers
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2011, 04:41 AM
working to the closest cm
Looks fast
Jun 26, 2011, 04:42 AM
Happily Addicted
Nice one Dave,

Looks like all the right bits in the right places.
You've really been bitten by that DS bug.
Are you going to sheet the wing then mould it?

Cheers
Shane
Jun 26, 2011, 04:59 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iwanufly
Nice one Dave,

Looks like all the right bits in the right places.
You've really been bitten by that DS bug.
Are you going to sheet the wing then mould it?

Cheers
Shane
Yup, gunna bag the foam bits with glass stuff then pour over the plastic stuff to shape some carbon bits. How hard can it be????
D.
Jun 26, 2011, 05:13 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Hi Dave,
Das Hammer looks the biz.

I can see a couple of tip-fuel tanks in its future ;0)

Chris.
Jun 26, 2011, 05:22 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DrFragnasty
Hi Dave,
Das Hammer looks the biz.

I can see a couple of tip-fuel tanks in its future ;0)

Chris.
Hey Chris, dunno 'bout fuel tanks but thought a couple of these would be cool.
D.
http://www.regin.com/images/wingo5.jpg
http://www.regin.com/rcsmokecart.html
Jun 26, 2011, 05:33 AM
There is only DS
Well done Dave, It's more fun building your own.
Asto
Jun 27, 2011, 04:28 AM
Thread OP

update

Bit more done this arvo... mostly shaping the backend to suit the fin. I also cut the mylars in preparation for laminating the cores.
There's a better view of a hanger fly-by too
Jun 27, 2011, 04:34 AM
Thermal Wrangler
Looks great Dave, all it needs now is a tip-tank on the fin to match the ones on the wing tips.

I'm having a Thunderbirds moment.

Chris.
Jun 27, 2011, 07:31 AM
Auzzie built planks
65 inch. ??????

Just had to be bigger than mine..... It's not how big it is , it the way you?... Never mind...
Latest blog entry: More colours
Jun 27, 2011, 05:18 PM
608 km/h!
Nice work larrikin! I love all the home brew action going on at the moment. Soon there will be no market for ARF as everyone will just build their own. Itll be like the days of yonder that everyone goes on about but instead of balsa and tissue paper itll be carbon and glass. I thing I need a plank next... so many planes in the que though! Have you thought of some sort of braking (not breaking) system for it?
Jun 27, 2011, 05:22 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by timbuck
65 inch. ??????

Just had to be bigger than mine..... It's not how big it is , it the way you?... Never mind...
Mine might be longer but I bet yours is wider.

It was suggested to keep the aspect ratio less than 10:1 to avoid having a critical CG but I also wanted the Wabbit to have good turning effeciency
So I settled on 9.5:1 = 1650mm
No one can call it the Choad Wabbit (The things you learn from your teenagers)
D.
Last edited by Larrikin; Oct 28, 2014 at 06:10 PM. Reason: missing a word
Jun 27, 2011, 06:01 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by josh18
Nice work larrikin! I love all the home brew action going on at the moment. Soon there will be no market for ARF as everyone will just build their own. Itll be like the days of yonder that everyone goes on about but instead of balsa and tissue paper itll be carbon and glass. I thing I need a plank next... so many planes in the que though! Have you thought of some sort of braking (not breaking) system for it?
I agree Josh. Although, ARF, BNF, PNP are here to stay which is fine coz it brings a lot more people into the sport that wouldn't otherwise be here.
Re braking, nothing set yet ... just mulling over some different ideas. The idea I'm liking the most at the moment is to mould recesses into the sides of the fin and use a single servo to operate "barn doors" like the old rudder/elev/spoiler (RES) gliders use on top of the wings.
Another option would be to start the elevons about 200mm out from the fuselage and use this area to create a Trailing Edge brake. Using this method sort of defeats the purpose of having a quick build model coz of the work involved.
Jun 27, 2011, 06:12 PM
Thread OP
Now that I've drawn that image, I'm wondering if putting a TEB on the fin could be a viable prospect ... interesting.
D.

Quick Reply