Jun 26, 2011, 02:15 AM
Build Log

Dumas Ace Sloop build

Hi all. I started the build of a Dumas Ace Sloop tonight and thought I'd share it here. This is my first boat build of any kind, first sailboat, and first time posting in the sailing section, so go easy on me! The Ace Sloop is a freesailer, and so far seems like a simple build. I'll try to keep things moving along and hope to have some fun learning. Feel free to point and laugh at my building skills, and chime in with any tips.

Right off the bat I'll say that the instructions are pretty minimal, but a close study of the plans answered most questions I had. Some things I'm still scratching my head over is sewing the sail and how to apply a finish to the hull. I guess I'll get there when I get there, but any paint and polyurethane help would be great to talk about.

Anyway, I got the basic assembly started and snapped a few pics. I'll be using a combination of adhesives throughout the build. I tacked everything in place with CA, but will also be using Titebond 2 wood glue and Sigment airplane glue in a few places. Here's the progress so far.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 26, 2011, 05:18 AM
Look`n good ! look forward to more pic`s / progress
Cecil
Jun 26, 2011, 10:06 PM
Hope you continue posting your build. I have a friend that built a 1:1 Ace 14, then with a little ribbing from our group, he scratch built an R/C model of it. Both boats sail very well, and your "kit" looks very similar. I don't have the skills to build from scratch, but would sure like to have one of these cute little boats, so I'll be watching you build with much interest. I hope this comes thru, plus if you look on some of the latest posts on Plaza Pond reports, you'll see more of his little boat. Thanks, Ron
Oops can't seem to post the pic, so check out the plaza posts
Jun 27, 2011, 02:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cecil T
Look`n good ! look forward to more pic`s / progress
Cecil
Thanks! I'll try to keep things moving along!

Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx
Hope you continue posting your build. I have a friend that built a 1:1 Ace 14, then with a little ribbing from our group, he scratch built an R/C model of it. Both boats sail very well, and your "kit" looks very similar. I don't have the skills to build from scratch, but would sure like to have one of these cute little boats, so I'll be watching you build with much interest. I hope this comes thru, plus if you look on some of the latest posts on Plaza Pond reports, you'll see more of his little boat. Thanks, Ron
Oops can't seem to post the pic, so check out the plaza posts
Thanks Ron. Your friends Ace 14 looks very nice. I like how he finished the hull very much. The beauty of a nicely finished wood boat on the water is very much a reason I chose to build an Ace myself. This kit is very simple and I think you'd have little difficulty putting one together. Cheap too, I picked this one up for $29 bucks.

Got a little bit more done on the Ace today. Chine stringers installed and fabbed up the keel attach. I added a couple of 1/8 plywood doublers in between the bulkheads to give the keel a bit more support. Probably doesn't need it, but it was easy to do and helped with vertical alignment of the keel. It will be secured in place with glue and a couple wood dowels. Here's a few pics.
Jul 18, 2011, 02:29 AM
Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some small lettering decals? I'd like to put a name on the boat when the time comes, and I'd like to use some water slide decals or something similar. Not picky about font, but it would be nice to find something elegant or block that's outlined. My local hobby shop is huge and I thought I'd have luck there in the car or train department, but struck out. I have tried to free hand paint small letters, with results that a 1st grader and a crayon could beat. Any suggestions?
Jul 18, 2011, 05:15 AM
Don't lie to my dog.
Quote:
Originally Posted by latebraker
Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some small lettering decals?...
Try an arts and crafts store, such as Michael's or A.C. Moore.
Jul 18, 2011, 05:18 AM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Can anybody out there point me in the direction of some small lettering decals? I'd like to put a name on the boat when the time comes, and I'd like to use some water slide decals or something similar. Not picky about font, but it would be nice to find something elegant or block that's outlined. My local hobby shop is huge and I thought I'd have luck there in the car or train department, but struck out. I have tried to free hand paint small letters, with results that a 1st grader and a crayon could beat. Any suggestions?
I don't know if Letraset transfers would be available, or you could try and see if there are any cheap first graders on E-Bay
Jul 18, 2011, 10:54 AM
I have not used them, but look at DecalPaper.com.
Jul 19, 2011, 08:38 PM
Thanks for the ideas. I'm going to try printing some decals out. Got a third coat of varnish on last night. Back to sanding!
Jul 19, 2011, 09:04 PM
Hey latebraker,
Lookin great!! Can't wait for the electronics install. It looks like everything is fitting pretty good. Nice work. Ron
PS I've been looking for some small lettering also, and am being told to find someone that can print them on a computer?
Jul 19, 2011, 09:10 PM
FROM THE MIND OF A MADMAN
Quote:
A few of the guys have used this company to custom make lettering for there model boats.
http://www.callie-graphics.com/index.php
Jul 19, 2011, 11:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by blckgnx
Hey latebraker,
Lookin great!! Can't wait for the electronics install. It looks like everything is fitting pretty good. Nice work. Ron
PS I've been looking for some small lettering also, and am being told to find someone that can print them on a computer?
Yeah I plan to simply print them out on my home inkjet printer, that's what the paper is designed for. The other thing I am reading up more on is what type of final finish to apply over them once they're on the boat. I'd like to apply another coat of varnish, but not sure if it will yellow or attack the paint and decals. I could also just spray a clear coat as well. A bit more research I'll be doing. Oh and no electronics on this boat, it's "old school" free-sailing. There is something that I find charming about free sailing boats, and I like challenges. I just hope the darn thing doesn't sink the first time out! lol

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpzy
A few of the guys have used this company to custom make lettering for there model boats.
http://www.callie-graphics.com/index.php
I've used callie-graphics before, and she is great. For such a small project though, it's a bit cost prohibitive. Thanks though!
Jul 20, 2011, 09:48 AM
For my decals (but printed on laser copier/printer) I used clear Krylon - but do a bunch of very light coats. Too thick and the dryers in the paint will attack the ink/toner.

Also, be careful trying to wet sand or polish over the decal. These are like the old plastic model decals - water-slide and very thin backing. Add them last.

Here a couple that I've done. Illusion was my first effort at a strip built 36/600 - very heavy and not competitive, but sails nicely and decal is clear.

The other one is on an RG-65 I built for son-in-law and includes hull side logo, bow sail number, and similar logo on keel.
Last edited by Dick L.; Jul 20, 2011 at 09:49 AM. Reason: spelling

Quick Reply