Jun 24, 2011, 06:19 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Build Log

Pat Builds the "Happy Hunter"

I still have a job on the ways, but here's what's next: Robbe's "Happy Hunter" tug.

There have been a couple other threads around here on the HH... and a recurring theme is "it's too expensive!"
Well yes, it's not cheap... and if you don't like it, then spend 500 hours scratch building your own, or be satisfied with the POS level of quality and engineering that comes with other "affordable" kits.

Why do I like Robbe kits? Because they are fully engineered... everything goes together as designed, and the design is fully thought out... it works. Plus, there are a number of parts which come from expensive tooling, like the injection molded mast assembly... unlike other kits which provide a bundle of dowels and just a suggestion for what the finished mast might look like, with no hint of how to secure it to the model...
I could go on.

Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 24, 2011 at 06:57 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 24, 2011, 06:33 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP

What's in the Box?

We got the HH kit from Harbor Models, along with the "optional" power and fittings kits. Also a set of ESCs for the twin motors and the Raboesch bow thruster, and a Harbor Models diesel sound module. Still working on a set of brass props and Raboesch prop shafts & tubes... the latter have to be chosen carefully to work with the Robbe kort nozzles. Also need to pick up a 10Ah 12v battery, and a suitable speaker.

The kit box itself is light, as there is a lot of vac-formed ABS in there. These structures seem flimsy, but they are tough and become quite strong when braced and assembled.

Much of the top sides is provided in cleanly die-cut ABS sheet. There are also some bundles of wire and bags of fittings... though most of the detail fittings are in the back-ordered fittings kit.

Also, two large plan sheets and a couple books with instructions. You can view the instructions online... oddly the German language web page links to one book (the build photos), and the English language page links to the text manual:

Build pictures:
http://www.robbe.de/robbedaten/pdfs/...r%20Bilder.pdf

Text manual:
http://data.robbe-online.net/robbe_p...122_1-1106.pdf

Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 25, 2011 at 01:23 PM.
Jun 24, 2011, 06:48 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
What's in the Power Kit?

Two big slow running 700 motors, some basic shafts and plastic props, and odds & ends.

The Kort nozzles and rudders are part of the main kit.

We're looking at brass 60mm Kort props and upgraded shafts, they'll come in later.

Jun 24, 2011, 07:44 PM
Cheif Bottlewasher
Cool..
Rather spendy kit though
Jun 24, 2011, 07:45 PM
"day ain't over yet-"
Quote:
Originally Posted by patmat2350
I still have a job on the ways, but here's what's next: Robbe's "Happy Hunter" tug.

There have been a couple other threads around here on the HH... and a recurring theme is "it's too expensive!"
Well yes, it's not cheap... and if you don't like it, then spend 500 hours scratch building your own, or be satisfied with the POS level of quality and engineering that comes with other "affordable" kits. .
Well said Pat, and I agree with you on the Robbe quality---.
Jun 24, 2011, 09:11 PM
Pat is this one for your own use or are you building for a client?
Latest blog entry: Myrtle Corey
Jun 25, 2011, 06:47 AM
Cool build Pat, but aren't these kind of expensive? Sorry, couldn't help it.

Dion
Jun 25, 2011, 09:30 AM
I love the details in the build photos (instead of drawings). Even I could follow along with those instructions.....nah, probably not.
Jun 25, 2011, 12:58 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP

Trimming the hull

Again, I'm not really starting on this yet... but I can prepare a few things...

First step: Trim the hull back to the indicated lines. Robbe is never clear here... from the outside, you see some wide, softly-defined molded lines, with no clear indication where the actual cut should be.

From the inside, you see sharper definition of the lines... it seems like I should cut to the tops of these... safer, I can always cut more later!

The ABS cuts easily with aviation snips, left & right handed. Make a rough cut first, within a few millimeters of the final cut, then come back for a final cut. Even the final cut can be left a little wide, so that you can finish with sanding or a file.

Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 25, 2011 at 01:06 PM.
Jun 25, 2011, 01:04 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP

Ballast test

With hull in hand, I ALWAYS try to go right to the float test in the Domestic Marine Test Facility. Best to know right away what the model needs to weigh, and where the weight needs to go.

Here, the bare hull weighs 30 oz. I marked the waterline in a couple spots, and loaded her up until she sat right.

The result:
5.5 lbs forward
7 lbs midships (the battery)
10.5 lbs aft

With the 2 lb hull, the model totals out at 25 lbs. With a removable battery, this will be quite manageable for one person to launch.

Of course, the weight of the rest of the model will be deducted from this weight budget... I'll do an estimate of how much that might be, allowing me to pre-locate adequate ballast compartments.

Also, good to get some idea of the weight sensitivity here... what happens if you can't avoid adding a pound? Or how much lighter should the load be, if you want her to ride higher?

I can probably remove 2 or 3 pounds aft to match the height seen in the publicity shot, where her stern is riding a bit high... good for minimizing swamping!

Last edited by patmat2350; Jun 25, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
Jun 25, 2011, 02:15 PM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Added up all the other kit parts (10.5 lbs), subtracted that, the batteries, & hull from 25 lbs, leaves a ballast task of about 5 lbs (float at waterline), or less for a higher ride.
Jun 25, 2011, 02:34 PM
WooHoo!
Quote:
Originally Posted by dion9146
Cool build Pat, but aren't these kind of expensive? Sorry, couldn't help it.

Dion

The Robbe Happy Hunter
Last edited by woodybob; Jun 25, 2011 at 05:27 PM. Reason: wrong quote
Jun 26, 2011, 03:10 AM
Great choice, this tug. I finished one couple of month ago, based on my fiberglass hull. Tug need a lot of power, I thing Speed 700 motors are minimum. I am planning to replace them by brushless motors.
Last edited by DDG 51; Jan 29, 2016 at 05:37 AM.
Jun 26, 2011, 06:51 AM
Mmm, tugs...
Thread OP
Very nice, DDG.
I'm interested in how you sealed the main deck. I see that you added an engine room cover, which allows a coaming around the main hatch... do you still have the second hatch, over the rudders?
Jun 26, 2011, 08:57 AM
let us enjoy this build.

ps: price on Harbor's site is not updated (ouch!!)...you need to add around $140 to the total amount Dave sells the kit in his website (Hunter kit, fittings set & power set).

Quick Reply