This thread is privately moderated by Bajora, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 23, 2011, 07:41 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
New Product

New EDFs from AEORC: 40mm, 45mm and 50mm, all with brushless outrunners

I recently received a few of the newest EDF power system offerings from AEORC. For those of you who may not have heard of AEORC, they are a company specializing in the manufacturing of EDFS that range in diameter from 27mm up to 70mm. The rotor in the smallest AEORC fan, the 27mm, has seven blades. The rest of the AEORC EDF rotors are all eight bladed impellers. More information and a discussion can be found in a thread here:

The various and complete ducted fans:27,30,35,40,45,50,64,70mm !!!

Many have been asking AEORC for EDFs in this size range. The HUGE popularity of the 50mm Sky Angel EDFs all but guarantees that these new fans will be very popular. The stock 50mm EDF and motor that come with the Sky Angel jets is good for around 160-180 watts on 3S, depending on the balance of the fan and also the quality of the lipo that you use when flying them. (I prefer Thunder Power!) The stock unit is a solid performer but most pilots eventually want to gain a little more power under the hood. While one may automatically assume that the obvious choice in selecting an AEORC EDF for use in a Sky Angel EDF is the 50mm unit, a few minutes studying the specs of the 45mm AEORC EDF vs the 50mm AEORC EDF is in order. Other worthwhile considerations include the fact that the stock JPower fan does not have a flared inlet lip as the AEORC EDFs do. This will probably require a little foam to be removed from the area where the fan mounts, to accommodate the flared inlet lip on the 50mm AEORC fan.

OR, it may be more advantageous to use the AEORC 45mm EDF instead! Check the thrust and watts of this unit and the note the dimensions of the housing, as compared to the dimensions of the stock JPower 50mm housing (See photos below). The AEORC 45mm EDF is almost a drop in replacement! It may be necessary to create a thin depron shim of sorts to wrap around the fan shroud, in order to build it's circumference up a bit to match that of the stock Sky Angel unit.

The weights of the EDFs under discussion are as follows:

> > > Stock JPower 50mm fan and brushless outrunner > > > 48g
> > > AEORC 50mm fan and brushless outrunner > > > 54g
> > > AEORC 45mm fan and brushless outrunner > > > 32g

Another compelling reason to perhaps go with the AEORC 45mm fan instead of the 50mm fan?

I will be installing and flying the new AEORC fans into some of my Sky Angel airframes in the weeks to come. I hope to get and post here some in-flight data using my Eagletree eLogger.

EDIT: Video added 6/27/11. Sky Angel 50mm EDF now equipped with a thrust tube, with an exit diameter of approximately 38-40mm.

(2 min 22 sec)
Last edited by Bajora; Jun 28, 2011 at 01:22 AM. Reason: Added photo of 45mm unit installed in my Sky Angel T45
to remove ads between posts
Jun 23, 2011, 08:28 AM
Looks sweet Jon, can't wait to get my hands on these fans.
Jun 23, 2011, 08:47 AM
Electronics and RC
Thanks for all the pics!
Jun 23, 2011, 09:04 AM
EDF Balance GURU and RC addict
Can't wait to see the number on those little guys! I have an AEO RC 55mm fan that I never did use because of the amount of work required to get it in. But these look much better! And the 8 blades have to sound so wonderful! For sure a good 3s set up!
Jun 23, 2011, 09:08 AM
me, right now.
Nice, looking forward to the in-flight data!
Jun 23, 2011, 10:42 AM
If these are more efficient (less amps for same thrust) then I'll be very interested in cramming a 50 or 45 into my JPower jets.
Jun 23, 2011, 10:53 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Probably not going to draw less amps....more blades on an impeller usually creates a greater load on the motor and thus higher amps. Check the included data above if you haven't already.
Jun 23, 2011, 12:49 PM
The blade count is high but the pitch is unknown and surface area of the blades are smaller so that would bring the load down some. Then again, with the high kv on those motors and high blade counts...its all about power.
Jun 23, 2011, 12:57 PM
Yeah the amps are a little higher than we are used to getting but the thrust has to be pretty high too! Totally worth it! I will try one out! I hope that Hobby Partz get them soon! I got my last 55mm fan from there.
Jun 23, 2011, 07:33 PM
Not enough hours in the day
Now we just have to wait until Hobbyking stocks them!
Postage is a killer directly from the AEO website.
Jun 24, 2011, 03:18 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
I completed installation of the new 45mm AEORC into my Sky Angel T45 tonight. Remaiden will be either tomorrow AM or Saturday. All it really took was a couple of quick incisions in the fuselage for the AEORC flared inlet lip to fit into. Other than that, it drops right in. With a Thunder Power G4 45C 3S 1250mAh and a Castle Creations Phx 25 ESC, my AUW is right at 13 0z.

I need to come up with a thrust tube, as the exhaust on the T45 is too large for this fan.
Jun 24, 2011, 08:28 AM
me, right now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slaanesh
Now we just have to wait until Hobbyking stocks them!
Postage is a killer directly from the AEO website.
they are now in stock at HK. just search edf30 or edf40 and they will show up.

They are also in stock at Hobbypartz.com
Jun 24, 2011, 09:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bajora
I completed installation of the new 45mm AEORC into my Sky Angel T45 tonight. Remaiden will be either tomorrow AM or Saturday. All it really took was a couple of quick incisions in the fuselage for the AEORC flared inlet lip to fit into. Other than that, it drops right in. With a Thunder Power G4 45C 3S 1250mAh and a Castle Creations Phx 25 ESC, my AUW is right at 13 0z.

I need to come up with a thrust tube, as the exhaust on the T45 is too large for this fan.
It looks pretty awesome in there! What is the FSA for that fan? It should be pretty easy to put in a thrust tube.
Jun 24, 2011, 10:17 AM
AA6JB
Thread OP
Logged one flight on it early this AM. Gotta love this time of year with the early sunrise and longer days.

I sent the Eagletree eLogget up with it and will post data when I get to my PC. The 45mm AEORC unit really wakes the T45 up!

I saw static readings on a fresh pack in the high 200s (watts). I think a thrust tube will improve the performance even more!
Jun 24, 2011, 12:09 PM
That's good news.

Quick Reply