Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Jun 22, 2011, 01:02 PM
Discussion

Ivans Sealand 480 slow build

It`s about a year ago that I received the plans for the Sealand from Ivan.
Started the day after the postman delivered them. And this is the result after one year!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 22, 2011, 01:07 PM
Slip the surly bonds...
You are not alone Henk! I could tell you of a couple of slow builders in UK but will not name them, for the usual fee...

All the Twin Otters (see Edit) I have seen fly really well and make a really good picture in the air. I don't think the flaps are necessary, but they seem to be fun.

I hope Luke Z puts your build on the Ivan's Website, and that the build continues to go well (even if slowly!)

Mike

Edit. I will write out 100 times "This is a Sealand not a Twin Otter build." The same comments apply though!
Last edited by Sopwith Mike; Jun 22, 2011 at 05:06 PM.
Jun 22, 2011, 02:38 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
Henk, have you looked down in the 'Similar Threads' list, just scroll down.

There are a few Sealand threads listed, might be helpful.

Good luck with the build.
Jun 22, 2011, 04:56 PM
Henk, Good luck with the build. Mine was done before I really got into RC groups, so the build thread is no my own site here.

Trevor
Jun 22, 2011, 04:58 PM
Thanks for the kind words Mike!
Eflghtray I have read those threads many times!! but there are not a lot of coloured pics from the Sealand still looking for a nice colour scene.
Jun 22, 2011, 05:48 PM
Hi Henk,
Welcome to the happy band of Sealand builders! Colour-scheme isn't an easy area to research and, like Trevor, I finally found a period artist's impression from a factory advert, which I bought on ebay. (See my avatar.)
However, when I was preparing to cover the model, I found that the chosen colour just wasn't available and I've ended up with a different registration, using the 'company' scheme but in colours of my choice, based upon a particular airframe which was apparently also named.
My build is now structurally complete and covering has just commenced. I wish you all the best with your build - there is plenty of help to be had here should you need it.
Paul W.
Jun 22, 2011, 07:44 PM
I miss my planes...
It may be a slow build but with the quality job you're doing it will fly beautifully when done!
Jun 23, 2011, 11:02 AM
Paul what are you using for covering?\

Henk.
Jun 23, 2011, 01:53 PM
Hi Henk,
I am using Pro-Film/Oracover. How about you? Your wing looks very good - and about finished too?
Paul W.
Jun 23, 2011, 02:48 PM
Hi Henk! That is perfectly good progress for one year in my book. And your construction looks very professional - I predict a very nice result, maybe in one more year? But maybe all our ribbing will motivate you...

I've added your thread to the Ivan list, so it's official now - you can't disappoint us!

Luke
Jun 23, 2011, 02:53 PM
Wing is almost finished. One nacelle to be sanded, and electronics to be installed. Started on the fuselage becaus i didn`d feel like sanding last night.
Jun 23, 2011, 02:56 PM
Thanks Luke I feel honoured to be added to the list.
As you can see I started on the fuselage.

Henk.
Jun 23, 2011, 04:24 PM
Hi Henk,
Wow, now I don't feel so bad! I started mine 4 years ago! What can I say, life keeps getting in the way. One aileron left, need to run pushrods to rudder and elevator, then cover. Tried Doculam covering, but not liking it very much as it's very thin but light and has a tendency to wrinkle. Maybe I'm just lousy at covering!
Fast Freddy
Jun 24, 2011, 01:12 AM
Hi Fast Freddy in my case life was not getting in the way but the build of a Pietenpol Aircamper, a Luton Minor and a Tomboy!!!

Henk.
Jun 24, 2011, 03:53 AM
Henk, couldn't help but look up your Piet - very nicely done! I built one as well, but not from Rake plans, this was before he had released his I believe. We chose the same color scheme!

Actually, silver and blue would make nice colors for the Sealand as well...

Luke

Quick Reply