Dec 22, 2011, 10:14 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Or a job!
to remove ads between posts
Dec 22, 2011, 10:30 PM
Big Jim
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaladroitFL
And to think; 8.5 million of those posts were fishy vids.

Mac
too much
Dec 22, 2011, 11:21 PM
I'm 90% finished with the wing for my plane. It's shaped like a clipped cub wing. Around 30". Just need to finish sanding the trailing edge and cut the ailerons out. This foam sands great...

I removed the paper, and used 2 layers of foam. Reinforced with small wood dowels between. It's by far stiffer than any of the EPO wings on my planes. Low speed flat bottom airfoil.

I see how this could be addictive...
Dec 22, 2011, 11:57 PM
Callsign: Zulu
Quote:
And to think; 8.5 million of those posts were fishy vids.

Mac
Haha! Thats funny! Been some time since I haven't seen from him here. RTF your sloppy looks nice!
Dec 23, 2011, 12:03 AM
The lunatic is on the grass
Thread OP
Addicting...not for me,i can stop any time i want....just let me get in one more.lol

On the s/c i had upgraded to 2 1/4'' wheels right from the start.
But...i really wanted some scale 35'' "bush" plane tires.

Like the ones in this video...

Super Cub on 35" Bushwheels--Just Another Day at the Office. (1 min 14 sec)

Haven't been able to find any like that in a weight that felt light enough to me.
So...next best thing to do is make your own,that is just what i did.

Made up some 3'' tires from some foam.
The foam is like pool noodle foam,squishy and returns to shape and very light.

Used a 3'' condensed milk can that had the rim sharpened up and pressed it into the foam while twisting.
Cut out a nice round plug that i then cut in half to get two tires.
The edges were rounded,trimmed with scissors,the other tires were squared and i never liked the look of them.
Only one problem...the foam was white....couple coats of black spray paint and they look good,ready for take off.

Ridgewalker

The wider 3'' tires should make rough ground landings and take offs smoother than the 2 1/4'' ones...and they look cool.
Dec 23, 2011, 06:05 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Viper82
I'm 90% finished with the wing for my plane. It's shaped like a clipped cub wing. Around 30". Just need to finish sanding the trailing edge and cut the ailerons out. This foam sands great...

I removed the paper, and used 2 layers of foam. Reinforced with small wood dowels between. It's by far stiffer than any of the EPO wings on my planes. Low speed flat bottom airfoil.

I see how this could be addictive...
Hey Viper, the unwritten rule of scratch-building: we need pix!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridgewalker
Addicting...not for me,i can stop any time i want....just let me get in one more.lol

On the s/c i had upgraded to 2 1/4'' wheels right from the start.
But...i really wanted some scale 35'' "bush" plane tires.

Like the ones in this video...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NjMaRHlr2wU

Haven't been able to find any like that in a weight that felt light enough to me.
So...next best thing to do is make your own,that is just what i did.

Made up some 3'' tires from some foam.
The foam is like pool noodle foam,squishy and returns to shape and very light.

Used a 3'' condensed milk can that had the rim sharpened up and pressed it into the foam while twisting.
Cut out a nice round plug that i then cut in half to get two tires.
The edges were rounded,trimmed with scissors,the other tires were squared and i never liked the look of them.
Only one problem...the foam was white....couple coats of black spray paint and they look good,ready for take off.

The wider 3'' tires should make rough ground landings and take offs smoother than the 2 1/4'' ones...and they look cool.
I thought the stock tires were 1.75"?
Anyway, I put those soft, treaded 2.5" tires on my Cub and it really lands great in the rigid FL grass. The only problem is that they bounce a lot more, so sometimes I end up landing twice in the same pass! Once to bounce and the 2nd landing is softer.

But bigger tires is a great mod for any Cub!

Merry Christmas!

Mac
Dec 23, 2011, 07:36 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
More troubles! HA HA!

I launched my Bixler into the wind, got it stabilized and applied some elevator as I swung it to my left, then throttled-up to about 80% (on a 2200kv motor with a new 1800mah).

I heard the Bixler's familiar whine, then heard a loud POP!

The Bix lost all control....dead sticks.

It slowly spiraled down...often billowing upward and stalling, because the elevator was still pegged in the up position. Later, I found that it was tail heavy because the lipo fell out as well.

On the ground there was no damage to the plane itself, but the brand-new lipo was MIA. The canopy was found after 5 minutes of searching in tall grass.

The lipo was never located.
Bixler Glider Fail (0 min 50 sec)
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Dec 23, 2011 at 07:41 AM.
Dec 23, 2011, 08:10 AM
Callsign: Zulu
Oh bugger. Well that was an epic fail, what not even 10 seconds in the flight. Feel for ya man. Any ideas how this could have happened?

Well that video gave me the feel of how an airplane would stall and spin to the ground. I always wonder how these pilots manage to remain calm. Its one thing doing it on a sim and another thing to regain control of that plane when you know the end is nigh!
Dec 23, 2011, 09:36 AM
NorCal Prop Buster
Mac, isn't the battery held in by a Velcro strap? I've added a Velcro strip to all my batteries and to the plane where the battery sits for extra security with the planes strap. No way do I want a battery banging around loose or worse, falling out. You survived this time buddy!
Blu
Dec 23, 2011, 10:08 AM
Big Jim
Quote:
More troubles! HA HA!

I launched my Bixler into the wind, got it stabilized and applied some elevator as I swung it to my left, then throttled-up to about 80% (on a 2200kv motor with a new 1800mah).

I heard the Bixler's familiar whine, then heard a loud POP!

The Bix lost all control....dead sticks.

It slowly spiraled down...often billowing upward and stalling, because the elevator was still pegged in the up position. Later, I found that it was tail heavy because the lipo fell out as well.

On the ground there was no damage to the plane itself, but the brand-new lipo was MIA. The canopy was found after 5 minutes of searching in tall grass.

The lipo was never located.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5jgb4PkeQ94
Radio on...Check. Battery plugged in....Check. Battery secure.......
Dec 23, 2011, 10:56 AM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
Nope. It has no strap. But I have a double-wide strip of velcro - the black heavier velcro - and not only did I set the lipo on it, but I remember resetting it because I felt it wasn't secure enough.

But if an KC 808 can be ripped from a Cub wing in a low-speed crash, then a lipo that weighs 20X more can also break its velcro bond...apparently.

Had some nice flights this AM with the Cub, T-28 and the trusty lil' Champ.
Purposely left the kc 808 @ home on my dresser.

The Champ just never gets old. It's still as much fun to fly now as it was when I first bought it.
Olthump'll tell ya; a low n' slow Champ flyby is RC flying heaven.
There's something special about that little plane that just can't be explained.
Dec 23, 2011, 11:03 AM
Fly em if ya got em.
Morning guys. I forgot about the unwritten rule of scratch builds. haha. I will post pics later today of what I am working on. It is ugly at the moment though. haha.
Mac, dang buddy. At least foam is easy enough to fix. But, losing a batt sucks big time.
Viper, I agree, and I think all who have worked with it, that this dollar foam is awesome stuff. I think mine cost just under $10 for two sheets at Wally World. Havn't even looked for it anywhere else. Sure would like to find it for a dollar. haha.
Happy day to you all. Lee
Dec 23, 2011, 11:09 AM
noob
I flew my Champ yesterday for about 25minutes (only have 3 batteries). It was awesome! First no-wind day I have been able to fly it (only my 4th flight ever with an RC plane) and really enjoyed soaring around doing low-fly-bys.

I need to figure out why it pulls left but it was only a slight amount. I could actually go hands-off on the controls and it ran a perfect circle above me while slowly climbing. I'd get it nice and high, then cut the power and drift back down. Very relaxing!

Can't wait till my shipment of 6 batteries gets delivered (and 4-port charger) so I can be more aggressive in my throttle and still spend time in the air.
Dec 23, 2011, 11:29 AM
Is it Friday yet?
Mac, maybe a hard hat is in order.
I watched your "Bizzin my hood" video. Ever thought about a water plane with all the ponds around?
Dec 23, 2011, 12:22 PM
NorCal Prop Buster
Hey Veccster, good to have you on board. Our Champs are truly winners! That's why many of us have had more then one!

You make me jealous Mac Daddy. You've got the best pond right out your back door. Let's see some float action! Screw the gators

Blu

Quick Reply