Jun 20, 2011, 12:21 AM
vtpraerobatics.blogspot.c om
Thread OP
Discussion

SoCal VTPR fly-in, May 5th - Temple or Glider Point slope

The American VTPR Newsletter - 2012 Season

Updated with the most current American VTPR information on the web.
---------------------------------------------------------------------

04/02/12 - Meet #2 is now scheduled for May 19, 2012 at Glider Point CA. The conversation for this second in a series is here. We hope you can attend this exciting aerobatic fly-in as VTPR continues to grow in popularity. You don't have to have any Vtpr experience to fly in this meet. Just come with your aerobatic planes or come to watch. You will have a hoot for sure!
----------------------------------------------------

PLANET-SOARING spread on Meet #1
http://planet-soaring.blogspot.com/2...hnson.html?m=1
---------------------------------------------------

Sunset VTPR, Temple Hill – Dawson
Sunset VTPR (4 min 5 sec)

Perpetual Motion II - Swiss Peter
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=481

Perpetual Motion I – Swiss Peter
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=389

Cruising Ellwood - Surfimp
Cruising at Ellwood Part II (4 min 33 sec)

VTPR Meet #1 Certificate of Participation
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=531

Thanks Eric…
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=428

The VTPR Solo’s:
Clearly this feature of “the meet” was well received and applauded within the piloting ranks of the group that flew them last Saturday. And more and more I’m realizing being one of those solo pilots this activity just may be the central attraction to American VTPR as we continue to explore its inherent American nature. Not to get too philosophical but it’s very true we Americans are by nature strongly independent and non-conformist to the world at large, at least up to and through my generation.

The Solo flights on the slope really bear this out and put an asterisk at the end of “American VTPR”. It’s cocky, in your face while at the same time smooth and beautiful and overall exciting to watch the different interpretations by the pilots you’re about to see in these videos. Don’t get me wrong French VTPR is fabulous and wonderful to watch in all its beauty and splendor but the two shores are definitively becoming very opposite at their core IMO.

Music. Talk about a wide open art form as to why people like and dislike a particular style of tunes. I believe we learn our “preferred vibe” at a very early age and it grows and adjusts through life as we experience it. The editor of these solo and other VTPR videos whether it be you or me possesses an interpretation of the overall video canvas presentation through its background music. The same video can have many styles of music and tempo added to create a certain result.

Eric
-----------------------------------------------------

MEETING #1 VIDEOS:

Inaugural American VTPR Meeting - July 2011 (4 min 8 sec)

VTPR Whirl-O-Rama (5 min 1 sec)

VTPR - Pilot D.Henderson, Solo #1 (2 min 38 sec)

American VTPR - Pilot S.Lange, Solo #1 (2 min 18 sec)

American VTPR - Pilot E.Johnson, Solo #1 (2 min 42 sec)

American VTPR - Pilot J.Scahill, Solo #1 (2 min 35 sec)

American VTPR - Pilot, Swiss Peter, Solo #1 (2 min 20 sec)

American VTPR 07-09-11: Randall's Solo (2 min 23 sec)

VTPR Fun-Fly 1 (4 min 22 sec)

VTPR Fun-Fly 2, July 9, 2011 (2 min 54 sec)

-----------------------------------------------------

After meeting comments:
FSD - Congrats guys! Wow...what a great event. I'm sorry that I couldn't make it. Family comes first...it's just a rule I have in my life.

Eric and Capt.Mike - kudos. I really wish I could have made it there. I know that I would have had a great time.

-Paige

HWEELER - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=375

CptMike - Wow...what a day! Great to meet so many and to fly with such excellent pilots. It looked like a "fish tank" most of the day. Thanks to Eric for setting the 'tone' and keeping things fun yet organized. We all learned a lot on what works and what we need to improve on. And the dinner afterwords at Dawson's relatives was amazing. Thanks for the much needed food and drink, friend. All in all a day to remember...

M

DAWSON - OK... I am back in Flagstaff. That is probably the longest I have driven for a weekend fly... 445 miles on Friday. I arrived early enough to finish building my Le Fish Light (25 oz) and get in a couple hours of flying. Saturday was big day of flying (and evening partying) and then the drive home this morning. Whew!

Saturday was fantastic. We had terrific flying all day; a fun solo session later in the afternoon and a magical sunset session to end the day. I especially enjoyed our after hour get together and dinner.

I enjoyed getting the chance to meet some of you for the first time in the "flesh." It was amazing to see all the great looking and flying aircraft... and to experience all the different flying styles. Everyone seemed to have something special to share. My brain is still trying to digest all the new stuff.

Thanks to everyone for making out first VTPR meeting a huge success. I want to give a special thanks to Eric, who pushed so hard for such an event and was a big reason why it actually happened. Thanks Eric!

I look forward to our next meeting... November in Santa Barbara.

Dawson

SURFIMP - Wow awesome day with a bunch of awesome guys... got there at noon, met Dawson, Eric and Mike and we headed up the slope after introductions. We flew, just the four of us, till about 2pm when more people started showing up. The vibe was totally mellow and relaxed, just a lot of fun. Eric and Mike are great guys in person and it was really cool to finally meet them. Watching Dawson fly made it feel like you'd stepped into one of his videos... he knows the slope at Temple pretty well and it showed

I maiden the MadFish and had some fun with it, but it wasn't till quite late in the day that I realized I'd setup my snapflaps wrong... I was getting reflex instead of camber! LOL!!! (FUUUUUUUUU thread in 3, 2, 1... ) Anyways I flew the 5 cell 720mah till I had a brownout in flight, then put in a 4 cell 720 I liberated from the Weasel-EPO. The plane does really nice flips, I was consistently able to get 1.5 rotations... almost there Was also able to pull off some decent "Kulbuto Plunge" tricks... what a trippy looking maneuver!!

Overall just an amazing experience. At times it looked like WeaselFest, but with Fish instead Definitely the most Le Fish kits I've ever seen in one place at one time, and everyone was just having a blast. Got to fly Mike's amazing 2.5m Sonic and it's a beautiful, wonderful plane, similar to my Voltij but even nicer IMHO. Swiss Peter showed up and while he didn't get his surprise 2.7m plane done in time, he put on a heck of a show with his ultralightweights.

We flew till dark then went down the hill and BBQ'ed... pretty much epic winning, Charlie Sheen style, if you ask me!!!

Eric thank you, you did a great job hosting this event. I like what you're bringing to this, basically just prodding us to think about and discuss how we'd like to proceed. It's very cool.

Dawson you're the man. In case you didn't realize

Thanks everyone! Hope to see you all, and more, sometime towards the end of October when yours truly will host the next event!!

Steve

Pre-meeting flight report - Dawson July 8, 2011
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=359

6/21/11 - We will be having the first VTPR specific fun-fly gathering on July 9th at TEMPLE HILL slope, SoCal. Openning introductions to the meet and general slope walkaround will begin around 2pm. Someone will be present on the slope at 11am if you wish to come early and look at the planes in "static disply". Hope to see you there!

Directions: Temple Hill

For flyer info click link:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...5&postcount=65

Howdy slope fans –

If you are not familiar with VTPR style of aerobatics here are two websites dedicated to the sport.

Slope VTPR Aerobatics
SlopeAerobatics.com

...And a video on post #2 that is considered to be the most descriptive visually and technically of VTPR performed by two world class French pilots (Americans have a great challenge ahead LOL).

This thread is designed to speak to a vision of Americanized VTPR Aerobatics (AVA). The Frence put this style of flying on the map decades ago and are very very good at it! Some RCG members wish to develop the style here but with an American twist. Open discussion is welcome here about exploring the possibilities for the future of the sport and subsequent flying meetings in different regions around the country. This will give RCG members a way to introduce themselves and explore AVA in a cohesive and collective manner that informs all who are interested in this exciting sport. You will see some cutting edge aerobatic models hot off the bench before we hit the slope (maybe literally) and fly. And discussions and videos that promise to inspire.

For example there is a 60” foam “Spindrift” that the builder has painstakingly assembled to only 13.5 ounces! Pretty incredible and a new breakthrough in the sport of slope VTPR.

In conjunction with discussions a core group of talented and daring flyers in SoCal are planning a fun-fly get together very soon that will be a pre-meet practice gathering leading up to our first official "Low and Slow VTPR specific" meet later this year.

Some examples of the meet itinerary:

- All planes up fun fly
- Pairs aerobatics
- Follow the leader VTPR
- Solo “show off " VTPR sessions (3-5 mins per)
- Tail drag and tip drag challenge
- Hoverbatics contest
- Static display
- Participation Certificates for all

Of course everything is subject to wind and lift conditions but we will announce the meeting dates and locations via this thread. We are committed to making this a reality so keep it tuned here as the BUZZ is lively and fired up!

Good lift…Eric

Discussion about Plane Flying Numbers by hweeler...

Flying numbers may be chosen within the range of 0-500 preceeded with the lower alpha "v". You may choose any number you like except "v1". It will be awarded at a special meet on a later date, maybe 2012.... This number will be your number to display on your planes, on a flying jersey or T shirt. v9 or other single digit for example may be v09. Flying numbers are a unique identifier that differentiates flyers and models at a distance and will be required in the V-Cup Challenge down the road for scoring purposes.

Numbers do have personal meanings and a certain significance to people. Sometimes they can follow you in life and remind you of important past events and for some they could be believed a lucky number. Some are unlucky numbers too if you believe in this sort if thing. You may think this is corny and un-needed but your number will become part of your slope Vtpr persona and pride among others at the meets.

Eric

Introduction of the 68" "PSP" lightweight by SoCal VTPR - Woodies are here to stay!
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=279

Maiden
ZEPPELIN 1.7m PSP maiden (4 min 37 sec)

Comment by Paige Anderson
Sweet plane Eric. I'm mostly amazed that it can fly in 4-6 mph - an average of 5 mph. I've got some ultra-light foamies that won't fly in that light of lift. I'm curious what the wing loading is. It must be incredibly low.

-Paige

Answer - 7.5oz WL

Introduction of FLO III VTPR model by FSD, Crestline, CA.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=275

CptMike's new Sonic 2.5 - Beautiful!
Sonic 2.5m @ Inaugural American VTPR Meet, 2011 (4 min 40 sec)

Loose definition of American VTPR - CptMike
American VTPR -

Watch videos
Talk to yer friends about it
Analyze it
Build 3 new planes
Analyze it
Debate about it
Argue about it and loose a little sleep
Make lots of rules on everything
Over-analyze it
Call your lawyer friend about the legalities
Design 2 more models
Try and patent it
Find a way to market it as "American VTPR"
Re-analyze it
Make a movie about it

And oh yeah......... fly it, if there's any time left.

M

Spindrift at The Ruins - pilot Steve Lange
Spindrifting (1 min 27 sec)

Big Fish at More Mesa - pilot Swiss Peter
24oz Big Fish at More Mesa (4 min 11 sec)

Comments: Dawson Henderson
Peter/Steve:

Mesmerizing! Peter is really pushing the limits of low-lift aerobatics.

This video really shows how varied VTPR can be. In this case we see Elwood style Weasel-batics... light lift on a high-angle-slope/narrow-lift-band. I love how Peter is "dancing" right on the edge of the slope... working that slender sweet spot of laminar energy. Wonderful!

Dawson

First ultralight Big Fish video - pilot Swiss Peter
24oz Big Fish at Kanan (3 min 10 sec)

Surfimp comment:Yeah these light planes are definitely tricky to fly, as they have so little mass. It's a different approach, and tricky.

But so far they are proving quite durable. They are just so light, they don't get hurt too bad in crashes. And everything flexes so there's rarely any hard impact, it all just wiggles around.

On the downside, the planes are very prone to warping from sitting in the sun. The Depron flight surfaces are especially problematic in this regard. You can see the huge amount of warp present in the left flaperon in the video, and the plane was literally just finished on Saturday. So that's something to be addressed for the future.

I personally still prefer the heavier planes as they tend to go a little faster and definitely have more energy and penetration. The looming question is, though, whether or not we can go with a far more minimal fuselage (and hence way lower drag) and still get the knife edge performance we want/need. There's definitely room for a LOT more experimentation here...

Steve

Minitoon VTPR posted by Pierre Rondel - Early lightweight
Original post in 2005 describing VTPR
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...6&postcount=95
Minitoons (2 min 13 sec)

Sonic 2.5m piloted by Guillaume Leroyer, France. Posted by Pierre Rondel - FABULOUS!
VTPR Sonic (2 min 16 sec)

Sonic 2.5m piloted by Erwan Laurans, France. Posted by Pierre Ronde
VTPR à la Banne d'Ordanche (5 min 24 sec)

Cody flying an Espada R molded ship in what might be considered "American VTPR".
Cody Espada Soar Utah (3 min 56 sec)

Thee premier VTPR video in the French Style. Enjoy
Menez-Hom VTPR (14 min 17 sec)
Last edited by oldscooler; Apr 02, 2012 at 03:46 PM. Reason: Meet date
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2011, 01:31 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Youtube is blocking that video because of the video content... maybe this one works better:

Menez-Hom VTPR (14 min 17 sec)

Steve
Jun 20, 2011, 01:47 AM
Thread OP
Strange as i works fine on my machine. Thanks for the correction... Its well worth the 14 minute length as it gets better and better all the way to the end folks.

Enjoy...Eric
Last edited by oldscooler; Jun 20, 2011 at 01:56 AM.
Jun 20, 2011, 04:23 AM
Thread OP
Teaser glimpse of a new lightweight VTPR ship nearing completion this week. Oh yeah, its a woodie with some unique features! Stay tuned for the total exposure and maiden soon.

Eric
Jun 20, 2011, 01:25 PM
Thread OP

First VTPR fun-fly

These dates are now set up for the first "VTPR get together" at Temple Hill or other site depending on weather conditions the week of. The dates below take consideration of a couple guys I have conversed with offline that are willing to try their best to making the meet traveling a very long distance so please try and make the meet on one of these 3 options.

July 9-10
August 27-28
September 3-4

If it turns out the weather is just too undesirable with a handful of optional sites we will have to do this all over again. No big, im cool with it if you are.

July is just around the corner so don't wait to respond. Do it as soon as possible so we can collectively nail the date down for this fun day of flying VTPR and meeting and making new friends. Get your planes ready too...

Thanks, Eric
Jun 20, 2011, 02:11 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
I'm in! Can't say if I'll be able to make all three dates, but I will try my best to make two out of three

Or are we voting on which dates we prefer? I think I can do the July 9/10 date no worries, the late August not so much and the September date probably. Why not have both the July & September dates if possible? Then hopefully more people can attend at least one or the other.

Survey says "BUILD BUILD BUILD!!!"

Steve
Jun 20, 2011, 02:45 PM
Thread OP
Yeah just one but two sounds good too... July, Sept, I'm in

Eric
Jun 20, 2011, 03:39 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Cool so I will be planning to make the July 9th date for sure. Probably just a one day thing for me because I need to spend at least part of the weekend with my family.

Can't wait!!

Steve
Jun 20, 2011, 04:18 PM
Abundantly deficient.......
Jully 9th works for me. Count me in! Actually any date will work I think.

M
Jun 20, 2011, 05:00 PM
Well, I'll hopefully have a LeFish flying for July. Can't say I'll be any good at the skill level, but looking forward to seeing some others fly.

Never been to Temple Hill, is the lift reliable there?
Jun 20, 2011, 06:47 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Skill level is irrelevant - no matter how good you are, there's always somebody better, and you can learn cool stuff from anyone. In fact flying with pilots that you perceive to be better than you is a great way to improve your own flying skills. And since it puts them on the spot to perform, it can help them up their performance, too. Virtuous cycle

Steve
Jun 20, 2011, 06:53 PM
Stirring the pot
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfimp
Skill level is irrelevant - no matter how good you are, there's always somebody better, and you can learn cool stuff from anyone. In fact flying with pilots that you perceive to be better than you is a great way to improve your own flying skills. And since it puts them on the spot to perform, it can help them up their performance, too. Virtuous cycle

Steve
Hi Steve
"Virtuous cycle indeed"!!!
Jun 20, 2011, 07:59 PM
Thread OP
No worries Wayne, this is a VTPR fun-fly similar to what you see Mike and I do at GP with our LF's. The more you watch and follow the better you get at this stuff especially with a LF... I hope you can have one together, you'll have a ball even if you dont VTPR this time.

Not sure about Temple in July but it usually has a stiff westerly wind most of the time im up there. We always have Glider Point 45min away as a back-up slope if S-SW. If Santa Ana's come in then we are all sunk lest the backside works...dunno.

Guys, lets check in our radios:

Eric - 2.4
Le Fish
Super Jig? Gotta fix a cracked wing from a bad spill Vtpr'ing very low Sat!
Last edited by oldscooler; Jun 20, 2011 at 11:44 PM.
Jun 20, 2011, 08:44 PM
Semper Fidelis
I'm in July 9th.

John on 22 with Extra, rudderized scooter, ???

Looking forward to seeing some fun flying.

We don't usually get Santa Anas in the summer time, although we had a weak off shore part of the morning today.

I've been at Temple (Does require about a 20min hike up hill) the past month every Thursday. Expect the sea breeze to kick in late afternoon as the wind is most consistent then. I usually don't go up until about 4 or 5.
Jun 20, 2011, 09:00 PM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
This is shaping up to be good

I'm on 2.4ghz now and will bring as many of the following as I can get flyable between now and then:

- Original Le Fish prototype
- Voltij
- Wasabi
- Protech Slopemaster 3D
- Kulbutin
- TBD...

I'll see who else here wants to come along... Swiss Peter will probably want to come

Steve

Quick Reply