Jun 19, 2011, 10:18 AM
Designing something...
Thread OP
Build Log

2M Horten XII

Well if I didn't already have too many things to do I think I might now.

I cut a "short kit" for a buddy of mine so I've decided that I had better build one on my own. What am I talking about? I'm talking about a vary slight variant of the plan in this thread .

It's not easy to see the differences from the screen shot below but there are a few differences between the plane I'm building and the one shown in the other thread. Here's a list of the differences:

1) The cabin is a more scale shape. This is especially true at the rear where it terminates in more of a wedge shape.

2) The shear webs are now being laser cut.

3) The sub/false leading edge pieces are now being laser cut and the interlock with they interlock with the leading edge of the ribs.

4) I've designed a "reverse ladder" jig to align the ribs during construction.

5) I've re-sized many of the parts to use .4mm (1/64") plywood instead of the .6mm (3/128") plywood which I don't believe is available in US. At least I've never been able to find any.

Here's the status of the build...
-I've already made a canopy plug and pulled a couple of canopies.
-I've got 95% of the parts cut on the new laser cutting.
-I've got the basic structure of the the center section build.

I'm going to start skinning the center section today after I take some pictures. Yes pictures will be coming very soon.

Brian
Last edited by cpdude; Jun 21, 2011 at 11:56 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2011, 12:24 PM
Designing something...
Thread OP

Progress

I've managed to make some good progress consider I just started cutting parts on the laser last night.

The top skins and bulkheads are now glued in place. I'm trial fitting the canopy. Everything looks good so far.

One lesson learned...the top skins have a concave shape so I probably should have gone front to back with the grain on the skins. I probably should also use two pieces of plywood per side. Does that make any sense?

Off to do fathers day stuff. More later.

Brian
Last edited by cpdude; Jun 19, 2011 at 06:24 PM. Reason: Added a little bit more...
Jun 19, 2011, 06:51 PM
Crazy Cessna Owner
That is incredible progress for such a short time. Keep it up Brian.
Jun 20, 2011, 08:49 PM
Designing something...
Thread OP

Progress on the wing panel

I did a bit of work on one of the wing panels. I've got the ribs on the left wing panel attached to the wing jig and part of the leading edge glued to the ribs.

I had to give up because it's about 95 degrees down in my shop. If it cools off I'll do some more work later.

Brian
Jun 22, 2011, 08:22 AM
Designing something...
Thread OP

Moving the build log

I'm moving this over to the flying wing section.

Here's the link.

Brian

Quick Reply