Apr 29, 2013, 10:57 PM
now all i need to do is get my failsafe to work. meaning if i was to turn off my radio , the plane would activate rth and come back , and when i trun my transmitter on i would reagain control. i had a failsafe position on my transmitter/ dragonlink. to activate return to home and about halfway throttle. whats the best way to do it on this osd ?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2013, 12:34 AM
I never had to do a mix to set up my 3 position switch.

You should set failsafe to be RTH in the menu. Then it should engage when it loses the tx signal. I used the Carlyle method on mine, meaning if I pull the throttle trim all the way down it goes into failsafe mode, which is RTH. I have fly by wire on my 3 position switch and wanted to be able to engage RTH without turning off my transmitter.

You just have to set an option in the menu for failsafe to be detected below minimum level, and not above maximum level for this to work.
Apr 30, 2013, 01:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gree View Post
I never had to do a mix to set up my 3 position switch.

You should set failsafe to be RTH in the menu. Then it should engage when it loses the tx signal. I used the Carlyle method on mine, meaning if I pull the throttle trim all the way down it goes into failsafe mode, which is RTH. I have fly by wire on my 3 position switch and wanted to be able to engage RTH without turning off my transmitter.

You just have to set an option in the menu for failsafe to be detected below minimum level, and not above maximum level for this to work.
Ok, this is interesting....I was wondering why there would be two options for detecting Failsafe, above or below max level. In the wizard I set it up with above and all worked well, I could toggle through the menu and activate RTH when flicking the 3 position switch momentarily up once, then up again to disengage RTH.

But say I want to set the flight mode to fly by wire so I could toggle it on & off but didn't want to switch my TX off to enter RTH while FBW was selected...I have a JR 9X so I tried to set a MIX on another switch to set throttle over 110% but it would only go as far as 100% and not engage RTH but I could not figure out how to set it separately on a switch.

If there is no other way, maybe as you have mentioned Gree, by setting RTH to detect LOW throttle then sliding the throttle trim all the way down would achieve this? Is there no other way to set RTH on a switch?

Regards,
John
Last edited by Mantovani; Apr 30, 2013 at 02:08 AM.
Apr 30, 2013, 02:10 AM
Why are some afraid to shut off Tx to trigger RTH? IMHO that should be how RTH is tested. RVOSD is dependant upon the RC Tx giving the proper FS Throttle signal. When you need RTH because of lost RC it better work and if RC isnt re-established then your
BTW John, I use a gear to throttle mix set to 125% on my Dx7. I assume you meant a JR9x, strange a better radio wont mix to 125% but a quick look at the manual indicates you can use the trainer switch as a throttle cut couldn't that trigger RTH when using throttle under mode
Apr 30, 2013, 02:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
Why are some afraid to shut off Tx to trigger RTH? IMHO that should be how RTH is tested. RVOSD is dependant upon the RC Tx giving the proper FS Throttle signal. When you need RTH because of lost RC it better work and if RC isnt re-established then your
BTW John, I use a gear to throttle mix set to 125% on my Dx7. I assume you meant a JR9x, strange a better radio wont mix to 125% but a quick look at the manual indicates you can use the trainer switch as a throttle cut couldn't that trigger RTH when using throttle under mode
Not afraid to shut TX...well maybe a little apprehensive I agree testing this way but I would want to engage RTH but still use my camera Pan/Tilt and look around while I catch a free ride home

Ok so If I set my failsafe detect to LOW throttle and use the throttle hold/cut... Appreciate the suggestion, I'll check it out when I get home.

Regards,
John
Apr 30, 2013, 02:37 AM
[QUOTE=Mantovani;24865211]Not afraid to shut TX...well maybe a little apprehensive I agree testing this way but I would want to engage RTH but still use my camera Pan/Tilt and look around while I catch a free ride home

Thats when you could select RTH from AP menu,
Apr 30, 2013, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantovani View Post
Not afraid to shut TX...well maybe a little apprehensive I agree testing this way but I would want to engage RTH but still use my camera Pan/Tilt and look around while I catch a free ride home
Exactly...
Apr 30, 2013, 04:09 AM
[QUOTE=picard10th;24865274]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mantovani View Post

Thats when you could select RTH from AP menu,
Very good point, I didn't think of that

So It looks like I don't need to assign a switch for RTH after all.

Thanks for clearing this up.

John
Apr 30, 2013, 12:09 PM
maybe this is a stupid question, but i cant figure out how i would go about connection the foxtech cam switch on rvosd?

this one: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-3-...her-p-175.html
Apr 30, 2013, 01:19 PM
>>So It looks like I don't need to assign a switch for RTH after all.

Well let me suggest you might want to anyway. What is:

1. video signal goes out, now you are 'flying blind'. You can no longer navigate the menus to do any 'on the fly' changes of RVOSD.
2. Tx/Rx still in range and communicating so not fail-safe and engagement of RTH

You could still turn your transmitter off to engage RTH but that seems heavy-handed. Having that simple switch to flick and fly home is a comfort factor.

I do have a preflight checklist that includes checking fail safe and RTH function:
a. Hold aircraft down, engage RTH switch
b. Hold aircraft down, turn off transmitter
Last edited by FireFlyer451; Apr 30, 2013 at 04:17 PM. Reason: clarification.
Apr 30, 2013, 03:14 PM
PP/IR
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireFlyer451 View Post
>>I do have a preflight checklist that includes checking fail safe and RTH function:
a. Hold aircraft down, engage RTH switch
b. Hold aircraft down, turn off transmitter
+1 Checklists may seem silly and mundane but it guarantees consistency.

Would never turn my Tx off w/o first testing this on the ground.

Before I launch I test RTH with a dedicated switch (9x/er9x) and verify throttle and control surface movement. RTH will still engage but no throttle or deflection will happen if HOME is not yet set.

Then I turn off Tx and watch for the same conditions. This verifies Rx Failsafe is properly triggering RVOSD.

The RTH switch forces the throttle ch to -110 (er9x Safety switch feature)
The fail safe is set on the DL Tx/Rx to -120

Then before I venture out too far I test RTH again while airborne (with the switch) and verify the plane turns home and takes the proper throttle action for it's altitude.

Hasn't failed me yet.
Last edited by aviatorgeek; Apr 30, 2013 at 06:40 PM.
Apr 30, 2013, 03:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bauf View Post
maybe this is a stupid question, but i cant figure out how i would go about connection the foxtech cam switch on rvosd?

this one: http://www.foxtechfpv.com/foxtech-3-...her-p-175.html
Hi Bauf, you just have to connect the video output of the switch to the video input of RVOSD. If your videocam are all 12V powered, the RVOSD will supply energy to all. I have a two-way switch, with a 12V camera and a keychain # 16 v.2 powered from receiver.
Apr 30, 2013, 03:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by picard10th View Post
This doesn't sound like a good idea to me, not to be overdramatic, but isn't that kind of having a fire drill by actually setting the building on fire?

Unless we're talking about the aircraft being on the ground with the prop(s) taken off when you test it by turning the tx off, in which case by all means continue.
Apr 30, 2013, 04:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dayanki View Post
Hi Bauf, you just have to connect the video output of the switch to the video input of RVOSD. If your videocam are all 12V powered, the RVOSD will supply energy to all. I have a two-way switch, with a 12V camera and a keychain # 16 v.2 powered from receiver.
Awesome,Dayanki! Thanks

Ah..silly me.. got it now. Cheers
Last edited by Bauf; Apr 30, 2013 at 05:10 PM.
Apr 30, 2013, 06:56 PM
ok how can i set rth on a switch on my futaba 9c with dragonlink ? this is the last step i need to do before taking it to the sky. because it is true if the video link fades or goes blank, its impossible to set it in the flight menu. so it has to be on a designated switch or a (o sh*t switch). i have plenty available. any good instructions on how to set it on one switch? thanks again guys.

Quick Reply