Jul 09, 2011, 03:54 PM
Zephyr 66" Blunt
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
I should fly mine today.

I went from RVOSD G4 to DragonOSD because the lack of IMU, then I switched back to RVOSD before I ever finished getting my DOSD working correctly because of some equipment failures.

After playing with both I'd say this.

RVOSD documentation is better, but both are pretty bad. Good gosh guys can we get a good manual so I don't have to search all over forums for info?

DOSD is smaller, but no much after you buy the extra IMU board.
Honestly, the RVOSD's physical layout is better than the DOSD.

RVOSD is easier to set up in general. IMU is included whereas you have to buy it extra for the DOSD and its a pain to set up (flash, calibrate, blah blah).

DOSD has PC software for setup and Waypoint editing. This is a HUGE plus.
RVOSD has that little remote which is really nice as well but I'd trade it for a serial port and a GUI...
DOSD has built in GPS logging on board, no need for a ground station etc.

DOSD has better options for screen customization. The X/Y edge adjustment for DOSD was nice.

All this being said, I have no idea how either one flys because I've never had time to let the auto pilot do it's thing in either one.
I thought the DOSD manual was quite good, it's a complicated osd due to all the features but from what I have seen not too many people actually read the manual going by the questions continually being asked in the thread.

Mark
to remove ads between posts
Jul 09, 2011, 05:16 PM
FYI for those of you looking to use the PPM output of your control Rx to run the DOSD. There is was a bug in the firmware that caused failsafe glitching for some Rxs (like dragonlink)
Latest firmware fixes it.
Banged my head around for a while trying to figure that one out till I checked the forums.
Jul 09, 2011, 06:08 PM
here is a little test of RTH
works perfectly for me
motor is totally unballanced and my small plane is like vibration generator but IMU works fine even with vibration test not passed ..
sorry for my english

RVOSD 5 (9 min 41 sec)
Last edited by hannson; Jul 09, 2011 at 06:15 PM. Reason: text added
Jul 09, 2011, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
For UAV use yes, for FPV no, as I hope the guy on the ground has enough smarts to figure out he's fighting a headwind and that's why his groundspeed is low.

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Don't agree.

It's everybodys choice what they want to use, not yours...... With enough smarts or not :-)
Jul 09, 2011, 09:05 PM
Okay going to buy the RVOSDV5 I have a question though. I'm going with a two battery set up, one 3s for the video TX and cam and a 4s for the motor and servos. Will the RVOSDV5 show the battery life of the 3s video batt?
Jul 09, 2011, 09:18 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
I have to agree with Sander.
You have to scan conditions on the display.
For instance with no wind on the ground however there is a South wind at 40 kph at 2500 Ft conditions have changed.
Watching the Ground speed indication will show this.
The airspeed is only the forward movement of the plane against the air with the wind.
Knowing what energy the motor prop delivers is enough to know what airspeed is likely doing.

Here is a flight I made with the immersion system showing a South wind at 2500 Ft.
The plane circles to determine the conditions. It is long so skip when you can.
http://www.youtube.com/user/skywave12?feature=mhee

Martin

Quote:
Originally Posted by hobbyboy
Don't agree.

It's everybodys choice what they want to use, not yours...... With enough smarts or not :-)
Last edited by EarthOrbiter; Jul 09, 2011 at 10:12 PM.
Jul 09, 2011, 09:33 PM
You don't even need an OSD at all to begin with. I flew FPV years and years before I got an OSD and never missed it. All this is just fun information to have when flying. Why in the world would you need an ADI and yet everybody seems to like having them. Ok, thats what the hobby is for, to have fun. I think the RVOSD 5 is a great addition to what is out there with or without AS (but for me, it will be better with :-) )
Jul 10, 2011, 12:06 AM
Village Idiot!
If so frustrated with my RVOSD5 right now, I cant see straight.
Last edited by ScooterInVegas; Jul 10, 2011 at 12:50 AM.
Jul 10, 2011, 12:19 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by imdone
Okay going to buy the RVOSDV5 I have a question though. I'm going with a two battery set up, one 3s for the video TX and cam and a 4s for the motor and servos. Will the RVOSDV5 show the battery life of the 3s video batt?
Yes. It will display two voltages.
It will only do the fuel gauge thing for whatever battery passes through the current sensor though. (shouldn't be a problem for you)
Jul 10, 2011, 12:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by BushmanLA
Yes. It will display two voltages.
It will only do the fuel gauge thing for whatever battery passes through the current sensor though. (shouldn't be a problem for you)
thanks! thats what I wanted to know.
Jul 10, 2011, 05:14 AM
Registered Loon
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas
If so frustrated with my RVOSD5 right now, I cant see straight.
why what's the problemo ?
Jul 10, 2011, 08:27 AM
Sirach 6:7-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssassen
Pay him a little extra to include the below quote suggestion, your customers will be thankful and you won't have as many RMAs to deal with from people that can't seem to get it to work:

Cheers,

Sander - ImmersionRC
Totally agree and while you're at it, a few screen shots and complete icon definitions. Maybe even a few examples of what environments or flight situations would benefit from what screen set ups. For example, MSL vs Baro altitude.
Thanks
Jul 10, 2011, 08:39 AM
I also agree, rvosd for dummies :-)
Jul 10, 2011, 09:04 PM
Fly Chitty Chitty Bang Bang!
I believe in a least common denominator in trying to solve any problem.
Root causes have to be established for many issues.
If anyone can make such a book please let us all know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep600fx
Jul 10, 2011, 09:43 PM
UAV Dude KF7HYV
Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep600fx
I am new to this thread but not new to the subject. Vova brought me in to write the RVOSD5 User Manual and Quick Start Guide. You should be seeing a first draft really soon.

I am going to be actively listening on this thread to help drive the direction of the RVOSD5 documentation. RVOSD for Dummies is a pretty good idea and I intend to make the documentation so it extremely simple yet deeply informative. If you other ideas or questions, post them here and don't let them go unanswered.

I am a professional tech writer and UAV flight instructor. I have written military UAV user manuals targeted towards "the lowest common denominator" so I understand how to write things simple and clear. Also, I have zero experience with the RVOSD so I will be writing this with no preconceptions. I will be confirming every single sentenance in the manual to ensure that it matches what the system really does.

I hope I can serve you all well.

Happy and safe flying, everyone!

Quick Reply