Jan 17, 2012, 04:08 PM
I don't know. It is said in RVOSD Manuel.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 17, 2012, 04:38 PM
Mums the word.
It protects the osd from irregularities from the selected rx. It keeps the voltage to a manageable level.
Jan 17, 2012, 05:47 PM
team n00b - captain

Dragonlink UHF 12ch receiver wiring to RVOSD5

This is the first time I've heard the rx needs separate power ... the only decent manual was posted by webdr in his review in this thread.

The latest RVOSD5 documentation (version 6) seems to indicate the rx is supplied power from 4 outputs: rudder, throttle, aileron and elevator OUT (see page 12, and 13-14 in the ver6 PDF). If I'm understanding you correctly, you're saying the only 2 lines to the dragonlink 12ch receiver are PPM & RSSI?

FROM THE DOCUMENTATION(s):
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

[1] PPM output on Dragonlink Receiver CH9 ----> RVOSD5 elevator input
Reference:

"Connect the PPM receiver to the elevator input of the OSD"

[2] RSSI output Dragonlink Receiver CH12 ---->RVOSD5 aileron input
Reference:

"When the RSSI input is selected to PPM1 or PPM1 and PPM2, you have to connect RSSI from receiver 1 to the aileron input..."
----------------------------------------------------------------------------

You sure you need a separate UBEC to power the rx? or am I missing something ...
Jan 17, 2012, 05:54 PM
team n00b - captain
isn't that only true when you set RSSI to "analog"? If RSSI is set to PPM, you don't need the capacitor ... that's how I'm reading it in the forum: RVOSD G5 instructions (work in progress...)

When the RSSI input is selected to analog, you have to connect RSSI to the temp/rssi input. A 10K-100K series resistor have to be connected between signal output of the receiver and signal input pin of the OSD, this is to protect the analog RSSI input on RVOSD.

... and a few lines down ....

When the RSSI input is selected to PPM1 or PPM1 and PPM2, you have to connect RSSI from receiver 1 to the aileron input...

I need to document this as soon as I figure this out ... this is crazy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firatp
I have that receiver and use it with my other OSD, Dragon V2 which accepts only PPM input.
Works very nice.

I haven't used it for RVOSD but I thing it will work nice as well as DOSD. Their working protocol is same.

For RSSI you should put a capacitor between receiver and OSD.

Cheers
Jan 17, 2012, 05:58 PM
team n00b - captain
The newest RVOSD5 documentation (version 6) PDF has something about that on page 18 ....

RVOSD5 Review https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=4359785

Quote:
Originally Posted by IMEIV
Hi,
I would like to know if RVOSD can work with FrSky receiver TFRSP http://www.frsky-rc.com/ShowProducts.asp?id=80 and combined PPM ?
The usefulness of this receiver is to be compatible with radio futuba and to have an output-ready for RSSI.
And RSSI input connected to the temp/rssi input in regular mode ?
Jan 17, 2012, 06:08 PM
Mums the word.
If you want it to work.

4 wires to and from osd and rx.

Red --------- to center pins on both osd and rx
Black ------- to out pins on rx an osd
White ------ to inner pin of ppm on osd and rx
Orange ---- to rssi on rx and temp input on osd (a 10k resistor should work here) rx------resistor-----osd

Now that is done, hook up the UBEC to ppm 2 input of the osd (or any free output)

Follow the directions I gave earlier and you will have a working system. One you have it going we'll work on the rssi.
Jan 17, 2012, 06:12 PM
team n00b - captain
yeah man - just want it to work ... u da boss - will try it ...
Quote:
Originally Posted by man2000me
If you want it to work.

Orange ---- to rssi on rx and temp input on osd (a 10k resistor should work here) rx------resistor-----osd

Now that is done, hook up the UBEC to ppm 2 input of the osd (or any free output)

Follow the directions I gave earlier and you will have a working system. One you have it going we'll work on the rssi.
Jan 17, 2012, 06:40 PM
WannaBeLikeJoshTheSlowJet
Quote:
If you want it to work.

On mine i have the UBEC connected to the RX directly and it works fine, any advantage of powering it from the OSD then having the OSD sending 5v to the RX ?

thanks
Jan 17, 2012, 07:04 PM
team n00b - captain
OK ... think I know why I'm having issues - the RVOSD5 is only outputting 5v on both vtx and cam rails - instead of 12. The jumper is in the correct (default) position to output 12v, but it's only putting out 5. My ESC is plugged into the "Main Batt" port, which is not disabled ... feeding it with a 3s 1800mah
Last edited by gitcho; Jan 17, 2012 at 07:05 PM. Reason: cam not powered either
Jan 17, 2012, 07:06 PM
Anyone know when these will be back in stock.... I have sent several unanswered emails. Thank you!
Jan 17, 2012, 07:12 PM
The way of being is doing.
Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho
The newest RVOSD5 documentation (version 6) PDF has something about that on page 18 ....

RVOSD5 Review https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/atta...mentid=4359785
Yes, but on page 18 I see a reference to V8R7SP that must be prepared to broadcast the rssi signal. In fact carry instructions "When the RSSI input is selected to PPM1 or PPM1 and PPM2, you have to connect RSSI from receiver 1 to the aileron input... This mode does not need calibration and can be used with one or two V8R7SP Frsky receiver's specially modified like this, the added part is a standard diode 1N4148"

But seems that TFRSP receiver is different because has an output prepared for RSSI.. for this reason I ask "why it was necessary a capacitor". In this case, with TFRSP receiver, I think that I have to connect RSSI plug on temp/rssi input. While with V8R7SP the rssi information is drawn from aileron input.

Would seem useless buy a TFRSP receiver with a prepared rssi output and then modify it for a correct rssi trasmission... but I believe that it will not.

Maybe some owner will tell us with greater certainty.
Jan 17, 2012, 07:14 PM
Mums the word.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bakchos
On mine i have the UBEC connected to the RX directly and it works fine, any advantage of powering it from the OSD then having the OSD sending 5v to the RX ?

thanks
I plug it in the osd incase there is an issue with the rx the autopilot still has power for the servos. Also my rx is way out on the end of the wing. Less wires to run.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitcho
OK ... think I know why I'm having issues - the RVOSD5 is only outputting 5v on both vtx and cam rails - instead of 12. The jumper is in the correct (default) position to output 12v, but it's only putting out 5. My ESC is plugged into the "Main Batt" port, which is not disabled ... feeding it with a 3s 1800mah
If your are using the ESC bec then plug the 3 wired throttle in the throttle output osd the osd. You should solder a servo wire (red and black) to the esc side of the 12v or build a plug that goes inbetween the battery plug and the ESC plug and solder a servo wire to it to power the OSD through the main battery or aux battery plug. red to pos and black to neg.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlanFlorida
Anyone know when these will be back in stock.... I have sent several unanswered emails. Thank you!
No idea. lol
Jan 17, 2012, 07:33 PM
team n00b - captain
BAH! good call man2000me ... the RVOSD5 was delivering 5v to the cam and vtx because I was only giving it 5v from the ESC!! I had assumed my ESC was putting out 12v, but it was the current sensor that was delivering 12v to the main battery port, not my ESC ... just tested it now & found my mistake. Thanks.

Quote:
If your are using the ESC bec then plug the 3 wired throttle in the throttle output osd the osd. You should solder a servo wire (red and black) to the esc side of the 12v or build a plug that goes inbetween the battery plug and the ESC plug and solder a servo wire to it to power the OSD through the main battery or aux battery plug. red to pos and black to neg.
Jan 17, 2012, 08:03 PM
Mums the word.
You have it working?
Jan 17, 2012, 08:33 PM
team n00b - captain
not yet - had to run to LHS for some deans & servo extensions ... if I still can't seem to figure it after this, maybe I'll have to get on skype or something ...
Quote:
You have it working?

Quick Reply