Sterling "Beginners" series, Top Flite "Pro Flite" Plans or scans??? - RC Groups
Jun 19, 2011, 02:37 AM
Help!

Sterling "Beginners" series, Top Flite "Pro Flite" Plans or scans???

Does anyone have parts patterns or plans for The Sterling "Beginners" series 1/2a profile planes? Old plans, part tracings, or scans, would be appreciated...
Last edited by little planes; Aug 04, 2011 at 10:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 27, 2011, 12:48 PM
I am looking specifically for S-38 Beginners "Shoestring" and S-45 Beginners "Messerschmitt"

will trade plans-n-parts/scans or consider purchasing kits...
Last edited by little planes; Aug 04, 2011 at 10:12 AM.
Jul 26, 2016, 09:30 AM
Dave cuts a great kit!
I ordered a few of his reproduction kits and am pleased with the laser-cutting and packaging. My boys are ready to move to on from slab-wing profiles.
They requested Scientific's 1/2A Hawker Typhoon and FW-190 with built-up wings. I got the Sterling 24" ws P-38.
The kits feature wonderfully cut balsa, plywood, plastics/canopies as originally kitted. Each of the kits arrived well packed, lightly shrinkwrapped on a corrugated stiffening board with reproduction instructions, box art, and inkjet printed stickers (the boys love the stickers!).
Wheels, bellcranks, and control horns are done in plywood. The wheels get built-up by laminating a couple of circles together. This makes for a very lightweight wheel assembly that won't melt while retainers are soldered to the landing gear.
I considered replacing these few parts with plastic, but the reality is my boys will probably re-kit before plywood wheels and bellcranks wear out.
These are fresh cut kits from quality balsa, plywood. Ordering from Dave was a pleasure...we communicated a few times so I knew exactly what I was buying. Pricing was fabulous.
There is no way you can do better on *Ba* unless absolutely expensive, old, dried-up, original kits are what you are looking for.
Jul 26, 2016, 09:49 AM
Barnwell, SC
Quote:
Originally Posted by 944_jim
Dave cuts a great kit!
I ordered a few of his reproduction kits and am pleased with the laser-cutting and packaging. My boys are ready to move to on from slab-wing profiles.
They requested Scientific's 1/2A Hawker Typhoon and FW-190 with built-up wings. I got the Sterling 24" ws P-38.
The kits feature wonderfully cut balsa, plywood, plastics/canopies as originally kitted. Each of the kits arrived well packed, lightly shrinkwrapped on a corrugated stiffening board with reproduction instructions, box art, and inkjet printed stickers (the boys love the stickers!).
Wheels, bellcranks, and control horns are done in plywood. The wheels get built-up by laminating a couple of circles together. This makes for a very lightweight wheel assembly that won't melt while retainers are soldered to the landing gear.
I considered replacing these few parts with plastic, but the reality is my boys will probably re-kit before plywood wheels and bellcranks wear out.
These are fresh cut kits from quality balsa, plywood. Ordering from Dave was a pleasure...we communicated a few times so I knew exactly what I was buying. Pricing was fabulous.
There is no way you can do better on *Ba* unless absolutely expensive, old, dried-up, original kits are what you are looking for.
Who is Dave and where do you get the kits? Thanks
Jul 26, 2016, 11:37 AM
Old Timer
I didn't write that particular reply, and I also noticed the lack of a company name. I suspect it was "Captain Blackhawk", who did have a very nice line of models, mostly based on Scientific Half-A kits. He sold his company to a new owner, who hasn't begun producing the kits yet, as far as I know.

No, "Dave" must be someone else, after all. The proprietor's actual name at Blackhawk was "Larry".

http://www.blackhawkmodels.com/

Kiwi
Jul 26, 2016, 01:20 PM
Sorry guys. Little screen on phone makes it hard to keep up with where I'm posting.

I goobered...I meant to post this in another thread.

I'll see if I can find the post I meant to attach to, and ask the moderators to move it.

The original post is where Dave was looking for vintage plans in the smaller plane sizes.

Dave is DPC models...
http://www.aerowerkes.com

Moderators...here is the thread I "thought" I was posting in:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...9#post33151043
Jul 26, 2016, 08:36 PM
BWA
BWA
I have quite a few of those DPCM kits, they are very nice, but, repros of 30s/40s stick and tissue rubber models, didn't see any control line models at that link/site.....
Jul 27, 2016, 04:35 PM
You have to ask. I was digging around for the Sterling 1/2A P-38. I found a woman's YouTube video showing her electric conversion. From there she sent me over to Dave by email. I still didn't know it was the same guy until his reply came back with a link to his website.

He mentioned several of the older profile kits, and I got three so I could build with my boys. Wings got started this morning. Pics later.
Jul 27, 2016, 05:31 PM
Here are the boys working on the wings.
And a few shots of the kits. I guess I should move these over to Control Line...
Jul 27, 2016, 11:43 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by little planes
I am looking specifically for S-38 Beginners "Shoestring" and S-45 Beginners "Messerschmitt". will trade plans-n-parts/scans or consider purchasing kits...
There is a 1/2-A profile C/L that is similar:
http://www.outerzone.co.uk/plan_details.asp?ID=4435

An 18" wingspan Walt Musciano Scientific profile Shoestring kit plan is on Outerzone, too, but would have to enlarge the 1/4th size plan view for wing and elevator surfaces. Replace the built up wing for a sheet one. However, I don't know how far you want to go as far as scratch building goes.

Brodak has the Beginner styled nylon engine mounts. Last time I check Cox International had them, too. Occasionally I've seen these kits for sale on E-bay. Only one this time is the Sterling / Estes Beginner Star Wars X-Wing Fighter.
Jul 28, 2016, 01:36 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Here's a Sterling Beginner's styled engine mount replacement part: http://coxengines.ca/cox-.049-engine...trol-line.html

This mount also has the hole pattern for the more readily available Cox .049 Sure Start horseshoe backs. To retain the choke tube, can use nylon standoffs from a hardware store. An external 0.25 oz (0.8 cc) CL wedge tank will provide the same fuel capacity as the larger integral tanks on Cox Golden Bee, Black Widow and derivatives.
Last edited by GallopingGhostlr; Jul 28, 2016 at 01:43 PM. Reason: Add additional info.
Jul 28, 2016, 06:30 PM
Barnwell, SC
I remember when those Sterling kits had two piece stamped metal motor mounts.
Jul 28, 2016, 07:39 PM
Vintage Aircraft Lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by hfenn
I remember when those Sterling kits had two piece stamped metal motor mounts.
The earlier Sterling Beginner kits used stamped aluminum motor mounts. My 1973 Beginner Fokker Eindecker had that. Later, they replaced the aluminum 2 piece with a nylon 1 piece. My Beginner Grumman F6F Hellcat has that, so does my son's Beginner Republic P-47 Thunderbolt.
Jul 28, 2016, 11:58 PM
For GallopingGhostlr;
It's funny you posted Hal Karlson's plan and pics. That exact model is what I started the boys on.

The silver one was last fall. No landing gear was installed in order to make grass landings better. However, the boys didn't like the hand-toss launches. It flew several tanks of fuel before it was getting tail heavy from repairs

The red one is from this spring...this time we did
install landing gear. Both boys do better with ROG, but I made the landing gear too long in attempt to save props. It noses into the dirt on landing. Both planes have been cheap trainers
...quick building and easy fixers. The boys recognize it is ok to "re-kit" after several hard landings.

My 10 yo is the one that wanted a little more plane...no more slab-wings. I tried to encourage Baby Jumping Beans, but neither boy wanted to cut balsa...oh, well.
Last edited by 944_jim; Jul 29, 2016 at 12:13 AM. Reason: Spelling
Jul 31, 2016, 09:16 AM
Turn-n-Burn!