Jul 11, 2011, 12:52 PM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Thanks Bret................I guess there might be a slight similarity to the Electrolyte build

In a couple of places the gel coat has oozed between the plug and the parting-plane. I've just trimmed this away with a sharp scalpel prior to waxing for the 2nd mould half.

Steve
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jul 22, 2011, 11:03 AM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Pleased to report that the mould-halves parted easily and revealed a pair of usable moulds...............even the plug survived reasonably ok!

Steve
Jul 22, 2011, 11:15 AM
fly like an EAGLE ;)
corsair nut's Avatar
Sweeeeeet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Jul 23, 2011, 03:52 AM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
There is one flaw that requires attention............ thankfully in a non-critical location. There must have been a void between the gelcoat and the laminations.

Steve
Jul 23, 2011, 10:24 AM
Need 4 Speed!
pdawg's Avatar
Alright Steve,
Here is how I would approach that void. First of all its in a good spot being on the parting plane versus the inside of the mold. First step IMO is to carefully use a dremal tool and grinding bit to rough up the inside of the void (without damaging the mold surface) to create as much surface area as possible.....like what a dentist would do with a cavity. Then carefully fill in the void with a small amount of gel coat material. If the small pool of wet gel coat material bulges above the ridge line it's ok as long as you have filled in the void. Let it dry and if necessary slightly sand down the highpoint to be flat with the rest of the parting plane. Hope that helps and makes sense.....
Last edited by pdawg; Jul 23, 2011 at 02:50 PM.
Jul 23, 2011, 01:28 PM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Thanks Pdawg.

The void is filled and ready for sanding tomorrow.

Steve
Aug 02, 2011, 11:13 AM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Here's my first attempt at an actual moulding. I don't think this one will get used as it is a little frail.

Steve
Aug 02, 2011, 11:46 AM
Need 4 Speed!
pdawg's Avatar
Looking good steve,

Are you planning to join future parts in the mold? You'll have to trim the mold at the intake and the cockpit for that. I got a trick for that if you decide to go that direction.
Aug 02, 2011, 02:47 PM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by pdawg View Post
Are you planning to join future parts in the mold? You'll have to trim the mold at the intake and the cockpit for that. I got a trick for that if you decide to go that direction.
This sounds interesting...............please enlighten us!

Steve
Aug 03, 2011, 12:20 AM
Need 4 Speed!
pdawg's Avatar
Steve,
Check out the last 6 pics in this post. Basically you take an initial fuse from the mold and nicely cut out the opennings in the fuse such as a hatch access or an intake. Then you put the part back in the mold and scratch the perimeter of those opennings giving you a nice guide to trim the mold. You need to be focused for this step but its very doable and makes life much easier when it comes to making your parts and seaming the fuselage inside the mold.
Last edited by pdawg; Aug 03, 2011 at 06:18 AM.
Aug 03, 2011, 04:47 AM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Thanks pdawg.

I knew the process was described somewhere in the electrolyte thread

Steve
Aug 04, 2011, 03:28 AM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Great to see you going for it Steve!

I hope I get to give it a go this year... not sure if time will permit it though.
Aug 04, 2011, 11:30 AM
Registered User
stegla's Avatar
Nitro, It's a fair ammount of work to get this far but now I can make a fuselage in just a couple of hours
So make sure you pick a subject that really inspires you and get the size spot on!

The layup I tried on the #1 pull was as follows, only because it was to hand-
2 layers of 48g cloth nose to tail.
+1 layer of 48g cloth from nose to wing TE
+1 layer of 48g cloth from nose to wing LE

Giving 4 layers at the nose, 3 layers at the wing and 2 layers at the tail. A bit flimsy but maybe 1 extra layer nose to tail will get it?

The weight of the 2 shells came to 43g.

Steve
Aug 04, 2011, 12:59 PM
Need 4 Speed!
pdawg's Avatar
steve,

48g equals 1.7 ounces. In cloth terms I use 6 ounces of total cloth nose to tail that overlaps near the intakes and between the main wing and tail giving those regions even more cloth/strength. It sounds like you are close but another layer won't hurt. Your on the right track...maybe for fuse #2 add another layer of cloth nose to tail. I'm still experimenting on the Electrolyte layup and each time it gets a little better. BTW The Electrolyte fuse generally weighs between 40 & 50 grams depending on the desired strength.
Aug 04, 2011, 04:36 PM
Team30 Micro EDF
NitroCharged's Avatar
Oh, I have my subject well and truly selected!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Im New, Asking some questions about my new project me madjoe 90 1/2A Planes 19 Jun 07, 2011 12:44 AM
Discussion the new project 54" of lobstah Pursuit Scale Boats 6 Apr 30, 2011 09:45 PM
Discussion need a new project. dutchydawg1 Slope 17 Apr 07, 2011 05:04 PM
Discussion Need a new project - help john_53_70 Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 1 Mar 29, 2011 09:13 PM
Question My new Ardupilot Quadrotor project redamged Multirotor Drone Talk 1 Mar 29, 2011 07:13 PM