Jun 18, 2011, 01:55 AM
Conestoga Pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

52-inch Grumman "Cutter's Goose"

Just throwing this out there to see if anyone wants to watch. I am doing a foam model of the Grumman Goose featured in the cult classic T.V. show "Tales of the Gold Monkey" that I used to watch as a kid.

The wingspan is 52 inches, and length 41.5 inches. I snuck 2 extra inches onto the wingspan but even then, it's not much of a wing. This thing must have had the glide rate of the space shuttle!

Anywho, not sure what the AUW will be, but I'm sure it's well within the range of the 2 Park 400s I plan to put on her.

Main box fuselage is FFF bluecore. The top of the fuse is rigid foam insulation. I like it for its thickness and sandability. I can make the overall fuselage look kinda close to the shape of the real thing.

Wings and tail are FFF as well.

Looking to power her with one 2200mah 3S lipo. Wish me luck!

Barrett
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2011, 09:27 PM
RC Adddict
Great start , are you going to have it fly off water ?
Jun 19, 2011, 02:41 AM
Conestoga Pilot
Thread OP
Yeah! I built a 100-inch Spruce Goose earlier this year that I'm too afraid to fly off water. This one is to compensate.
Jun 19, 2011, 06:53 AM
treefinder
Looks good!
Jun 19, 2011, 04:09 PM
Very nice! Congratulations.
Jun 19, 2011, 08:27 PM
treefinder
Got a 43" span Goose about half done, and you're the second guy who's worked on one since I started mine, Just gotta finish it or scrap it! (wait, scrap foam? NOOOOOOO!)
Jun 19, 2011, 09:21 PM
Foam Av8r

Nice!

Subscribed
Jun 19, 2011, 11:26 PM
Zen in the art of foam
Me 2
Jun 19, 2011, 11:42 PM
Cool....Plans or do we "wing" it from pix?

Subscribed
Jun 20, 2011, 01:50 AM
Conestoga Pilot
Thread OP
Thanks, guys! I'll be getting some more work/pics done this week.

Quote:
Originally Posted by poweredlawndart
Cool....Plans or do we "wing" it from pix?

Subscribed
I'm sorry to say all I had for 'plans' was this 3-view of the Goose. I blew it up to 1cm = 1in scale and printed it out. Then translated the measurements directly to the bluecore foam.

To be sure, it is not a strictly scale representation. I mean the cross section of the fuselage is not quite true to the plane. A concession for simplicity/ ease of construction (not to mention the fact that I don't have any more detailed plans.

Barrett
Jun 20, 2011, 04:44 PM
Always Ready!
Mine is a bit more complicated, but should still be an easy build. Hope to get started on it soon. Should be very easy to ROW as wide as the beam is... should get up on step easily.
Nov 23, 2011, 11:27 PM
Conestoga Pilot
Thread OP
Dusting this thread off as I dusted off the plane. I got as far as installing the motors, and ESCs and then she kinda got abandoned to languish in my garage.

Recently, I've been noticing that all she really needed was to install the servos, hook 'em up, attach the wing and program her to fly!

So that's what I've been doing for the last couple of nights time permitting. My wife and I just welcomed our FOURTH little bundle of joy last month, so it's a good thing I don't have much work to do >_<

Anyway, the pictures...
Nov 24, 2011, 12:58 AM
I'm sorry to say, but I have more planes done just needing the guts put in than I have flying, so I know how it goes. I'm none too fond of doing much after I finish the build.
It's a cool looking plane(I loved the tales of the golden monkey when I was a teen). Good luck on the maiden!
Nov 24, 2011, 04:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenseaships
Yeah! I built a 100-inch Spruce Goose earlier this year that I'm too afraid to fly off water. This one is to compensate.
any pics or vids? that sounds awesome
Nov 24, 2011, 11:28 AM
Conestoga Pilot
Thread OP
Here's the dedicated build thread

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1286585

She maidened in January 2011. For those who want to cut straight to the video, it is here.
Spruce Goose Maiden.flv (5 min 26 sec)
Last edited by greenseaships; Nov 24, 2011 at 11:41 AM.

Quick Reply