How big? My former is 12" x 12"
to remove ads between posts
Sep 30, 2011, 04:21 PM
Jack of all master of none
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Willsonman
How big? My former is 12" x 12"
the plug is 4"x8"; hay were do you get your plastic for vacuum forming?

Bruce
Sep 30, 2011, 05:17 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Not atm. I think your plug would need some work as well to pull the vent in too. I think FG would be best in your situation for strength and you would not be saving much weight anyways.
Sep 30, 2011, 05:32 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Not atm. I think your plug would need some work as well to pull the vent in too. I think FG would be best in your situation for strength and you would not be saving much weight anyways.
I have allready cast it in fiberglass and also think it will be better; but I just am trying to find out where you get the thin white plastic for vacuum forming?

Bruce
Sep 30, 2011, 07:46 PM
Track clear , smoke on !
TowerHobbies has it in many sizes and thicknesses http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJN9&P=0
Sep 30, 2011, 08:17 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Any sort of PETG plastic will do. Simple PET from HK will work but the issue becomes... strength. On these bigger birds a simple ABS "for sale" sign from the Home Depot will not cut the mustard. PETG will work well but there are also tricks of the trade to pulling something good. Something mastered over many pulls of the same form. It gets costly... its simpler and easier but not necessarily better. FG is more reliable to get right the first time.
Sep 30, 2011, 08:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by cap231ex
TowerHobbies has it in many sizes and thicknesses http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...?&I=LXDJN9&P=0
thanks cap can't belive I did know that tower carried that!

Bruce
Sep 30, 2011, 08:43 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Any sort of PETG plastic will do. Simple PET from HK will work but the issue becomes... strength. On these bigger birds a simple ABS "for sale" sign from the Home Depot will not cut the mustard. PETG will work well but there are also tricks of the trade to pulling something good. Something mastered over many pulls of the same form. It gets costly... its simpler and easier but not necessarily better. FG is more reliable to get right the first time.
yea the only thing I have doen is clear plexi very thin & small stuff up to 1/6"thick w/ my former. I just hope I can get good rigidity and stay light weight w/glass I'll know tomorrow

Bruce
Sep 30, 2011, 10:09 PM
No Hangar Queens!
Yeah, I have seen people pull a light PET or ABS something or other and reinforce with carbon fibers on thin points but It seems a little self-defeating. I really trust PETG. It may pull out thin but it is strong stuff. Use the stuff to bottle virus at my job. Almost indestructible even at -70C.
Oct 01, 2011, 02:06 PM
Thread OP
ok well my first attempt failed miserably w/ two layers of 3/4oz cloth as you will see in the first pics; I used both plug and latex mold, I got bubbles and it stuck to the plug so after cleaning up that mess. I started over this time I put a heavy layer of p-jelly on the plug and used one layer of 2 oz cloth and smoothed it by hand to the plug then covers w/ resin and just waited till it cured also I had to leave the aft end open so I could release it easer. when I removed it it was still flimsy so I mix up 30 min epoxy w/ microballoons and gave it an even coat let it cure now I had what I was looking for,I will reinforce the in side when I put the grill in side the aft end and will cut in the opening on the lead end and also add a grill for a nice detail. only three more to make; so check out my progress and tell me what you think
Oct 02, 2011, 05:29 PM
Thread OP
ok guys three castings down and one to go these are coming out better than I thought, after the way I started on this part of the project here is my last lay up befor resin and the three finished intakes.
Oct 04, 2011, 05:25 PM
Thread OP
ok moving on today I got 2 scoops primed along with the aft end of one of the booms and held them in place w/ a rubber band to get an idea what it might look like. I can't make up my mind if it looks right or not? some input would be very helpful at this juncture I know there are some gaps witch will be filled w/ bondo and a panel line created to complete the scoops look. this is a hard thing to get good photos of so I did my best check it out and please tell me what you think.
Oct 04, 2011, 07:56 PM
Splinterz25,
The radiators look very good! Just make sure before you permanently attach them, that they are closer to the wheel well than they are the tail. I had the same problem doing my 1/5th scale "F", model. I'm not good with scale measurements, I "eye" alot of my details when I build. You have excellant talent my freind. Keep up the good work. I love your build. The P-38 is the best in my book!
Linn
Oct 05, 2011, 11:12 AM
Thread OP
lgarber thanks for responding its good to get another persons view on some matters and better yet when it some one that has built a scale P-38. I had seen your project on another thread and I must say you have done a remarkable job so far!! what more do you have to do to complete your build? also witch retracts did you go with? I have been looking at several and haven't made up my mind about this yet; they don't make a set just for the P-38 in this scale. and if I recall yours is the same scale that I am building; if a may ask was yours a kit or plans and by who? your attention to detail is out standing and hope you finish your bird,and am happy to have you checking on my progress feel free to chime in any time.

Bruce
Oct 05, 2011, 03:26 PM
Bruce,
Thanks for the kind words! I appreciate it.
My P-38 is the old Robart kit that came out "breifly" about ten or eleven years ago. The retracts are Robart . As far as stuff to be done? Well, quite a bit of additional weathering on the gear doors, bottom of booms, mud, dirt etc.. My wingspan is 114". I believe this was designed after Ziroli's. The cockpit,nose, center sectin, and booms were all one piece. The outer wings and elevator , were foam and balsa, which was glassed . I used 3/4 ounce glass. I'm no where near ready for the "guts". I'm disabled and right now money is tight.
I'm thinking of maybe someday finding a Ziroli kit that is half done or even another Robart kit, and build one with interchangeable noses,ie, droop snoot, photo and gun nose. But, money! You want to give me hollar here in Colo. I'm at 720-272-8957. Verizon. Love to talk lightnings! Once again, love your build.
My radiators were vac'ed. Made one wood mold.
Thanks,
Linn

Quick Reply