Santa Barbara One Design - Page 87 - RC Groups
Nov 15, 2017, 12:56 AM
Why not use a sailsetc boom section, like this http://www.midwestmodelyachting.com/...OPY_p_387.html
It is what I use and would highly recommend it. Ryan
to remove ads between posts
Nov 15, 2017, 10:41 AM

santa barbara boom

Thanks...I am hoping to keep this old Vortex mostly Vintage looking, which is how I have my two Newport 12's...I just like the look of the old hardware.
If need be, I can do a whole new Aluminum rigging but at this point looking for a fun boat, zero Santa Barbaras anywhere around here so not likely to be racing her much.
kevin
Nov 17, 2017, 08:45 PM

look what i found.

after looking for nearly two months, I finally asked my wife to see if she could spot the main sail boom since I was convinced I had looked every possible place. With in five minutes she spotted it up amongst all my rc aircraft landing gear...WTH...why would I have put it there ???
Anyway...no more excuses and thanks to several people offering to help me complete my rigging...
Next post hopefully will have her about ready to get wet..
Nov 24, 2017, 01:51 PM

Vortex Santa Barbara

Kevin,
Here's some 'eye candy' for you of my restoration of S/B 373. I got this boat on an eBay auction in 2008. It was built by Vortex in about 1970, and was the 73rd of the 300 series 'cabin class'. It was bought and sailed in Chicago from 1970 until 1978 when its owner passed away. His son put it in the attic and there it sat for 30 years virtually untouched until 2008 when he decided that someone else might enjoy it.
I was very lucky in that all the parts were there, including the original spruce mast and both booms, along with a very rusted set of original Fisher hardware. The hull was an avocado green color, very popular in the 1970's but not so much so today, so I chose some "California" colors of a gold hull and red below the waterline, and had an auto body shop do the painting. I refinished and sealed all the wood moldings and masts and ordered new sails from Rod Carr, the heavy nylon sails that have a more scale look. I bought the Servo City Hi-Tec 815 BB winch with 5 to 1 gear reduction. The blue aluminum sail winch arm was CNC cut by a gentleman in Duarte, CA, who unfortunately is no longer making them.
I made a wood waterproof box for the receiver and rudder servo and installed a jib twitcher servo for close-haul sailing. To make the boat more 'scale-like' I made some wooden grab rails of cherry and mounted them on the cabin, and I also made a wood and brass skylight for the foredeck. All of the brass cleats, chocks, vents and the bitt are from Wet Goose Marine, which ceased operating earlier this year. A lot of these parts are still available as stock items in hobby shops on the West Coast. PM me if you'd like to get some and I'll see what's still available.
I made the cart from poplar. The handle is steel rod bent to shape. The way it attaches to the bottom of the cart is similar to a trailer hitch and receiver. The square pieces mounted on the side of the cart are so that I can store the handle as part of the cart when not in use.
Good luck with the restoration.
Nov 24, 2017, 03:21 PM
Great pictures Bob. Your boat is really a work of Art. It also sails very well. Ryan
Nov 28, 2017, 04:05 PM

Super Cool

Thanks for the great story and pictures....might you explain the nylon bolt and clip at rear of cabin ?? I've been told these Cabin Top S.B.s leak when leaning over. would like to see how that works.
I was fortunate in that my boat is nearly mint paint and wood....I have all the original Vortex papers...the original owner had it totally built by Vortex and I doubt this has been wet in 10 or more years.
I have on order I think the identical Vang from Model Yacht Fittings. My radio board is not nearly as pretty as yours but I was able to match the original paint in mine so it doesn't look too messed up...my swing arm is made from Delrin...again nothing as nice as that blue arm you have...

need to get the rudder servo in place and maybe a back stay servo...maybe Ryan can tell me which one he is using.

Thanks for taking the time to show us your boat....hopefully soon mine will be ready as well...then will hope it sails well..
kevin
Nov 30, 2017, 11:58 PM
Kevin,
I have found that Hi tech 5646wp is an excellent rudder servo. Either the 5805 or the 5765 would work well for backstay servos. You might also consider the actuotonix L16 linear servo for the backstay, takes up more space, but is an excellent choice. Ryan
Dec 03, 2017, 05:08 PM
Hi guys,
I bought Santa Barbara #1004 which has a probar winch in it which works ok.
Only,I can not find any information on it.
Especially the torque rate.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thank you,
John
Dec 06, 2017, 03:10 AM

S/b #595

here are some pictures of S/B #595 that was given to our club to be auctioned off , I restored it, all original gell coat some new wood & name, the boat was in memory of Bill Payne (More Payne)
John R.
Dec 06, 2017, 09:50 AM

S/b 595

Looks really good. I have 596 sitting in my garage ready to redo the rig. They really don't age.
Phil
Dec 06, 2017, 12:06 PM
Kevin Gault
Wow. That's beautiful John. Well done.

Kevin
S/B #2004
Dec 06, 2017, 05:49 PM

S/b 554

Got mine back in late 1972, all stock except for radio
Dec 07, 2017, 10:29 AM
Brighto?

Audi Commercial

Can anyone tell what boats are in the ad? https://www.ispot.tv/ad/wNWF/audi-se...ent-cold-front

My thought is EC-12's.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:15 AM
Kevin Gault
Soling 50's. The commodore and several members of our club, the Helmsmen Model Yacht Club of Long Beach, were asked to be involved in the commercial shoot. Took all day from what I heard, but I understand they were compensated pretty well.

Kevin
Dec 08, 2017, 12:23 AM

S/b 595

thanks to all that reply-ed to my work on S/B#595, I don't get payed for this,, I do it because I think the cabin boats need to be saved as original, I think it's a shame to repaint one if if didn't need it, this is the 3ed one I have done, thanks again
John R.