Santa Barbara One Design - Page 86 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 28, 2017, 11:50 PM
Welcome to the forum for the greatest class in the AMYA

Any other S/Bs in your neck of the woods?

Clay
to remove ads between posts
Oct 01, 2017, 10:03 PM
Any report on Nationals and pictures? Ryan
Oct 01, 2017, 11:49 PM
The winner of the 2017 Nationals in MD was Danny Thomas. The winner of the distantance race was Gary Meuler.
Oct 17, 2017, 10:19 PM

2017 Open Water Challenge NCR & River Race Report

Here is the link to the report:

http://mailchi.mp/79766dec6da2/sb-op...-update-455655

It's lengthy. A chair and a snack is suggested.

DB
Oct 17, 2017, 11:39 PM

S/B open water challenge

I wish to thank Mr. Brawner for the world class event he put together.
this was a regatta where all involved will be talking about it forever.
thanks Again Dave
Mike

Oct 18, 2017, 05:17 AM
Nice work Dave. It was worth the drive and yes, it will be some time before this story fades. Poor Victor. Moving to another state may be his only relief. Lol

SJ
Oct 18, 2017, 07:53 PM
Nice work Dave, and to all of those who helped put this great event together!! Also, Congrats to Danny Thomas in being the 2017 S/B Champion!

Mark Baldacchino
S/B Class Secretary
AMYA # 1885
Oct 18, 2017, 10:03 PM
Could someone compile a list of the make of Santa Barbaras raced at the this wonderful event. I would love to know the mix of old and new boats.

Another question- was there a wide variation in the weights of the boats or did more people tend towards the heavy end of the allowance?

Hope to make such an event in the near future.
Oct 31, 2017, 09:23 AM

Top 5 at NCR

Clay,
Here is my best recollection of the top 5 boats. We used a precise scale in very un-precise conditions. Therefore, the weights are not as exact as they may appear.

1. Danny Thomas 27.25lbs - Dave Ramos just finished building this boat and Danny built the rig. Danny spent a lot of time on the phone with Jess, which may account for the lead weight that he added under the radio board.

2. Jamey Betz 23.63 - Tom Germer built this Ramos hull in 2013 for the NCR in SF.

3. Dave Ramos 23.16 - Built in 2012 for our first trip to SD race week.

4. Larry Grant 26.61 - This is Jess Atkinson's boat. I know nothing of the origin of this boat.

5. Gary Boell 26.18 - Based on the sail number, the hull would have been built by Ron Thornhill in the past decade.

DB
Oct 31, 2017, 10:35 AM
Has the SB Nationals site been picked for 2018?
Oct 31, 2017, 11:10 AM
Kevin Gault
San Diego Race Week. August 23-24, 2018.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-WEEK-Calendar
Nov 13, 2017, 04:31 PM

two years later

I am finally getting back to restoring Vortex 386. Have spent the last year getting ready for the 2017 ODOM NCR that we just held here two months ago.
Since that time I have been looking everywhere to find my main sail boom and I can not find it.
I have the original mast and Jib boom, but can not find the main boom.
I am wondering if anyone who might have converted to a newer aluminum rig might have an original wood boom, or even a full rig for that matter, they would consider selling me. I don't see myself racing this much since the closest Santa Barbara is probably Chicago, a days drive from here, so I would like to keep it vintage appearing. With the help of Foam Crusher and others on this thread, I have been able to fabricate wooden formers and platform and have the servo city set up for the winch set up so I am close to getting this back together but obviously can't do much on the rigging till I have all the parts. I had a custom vang made up by Roger at Model Yacht Fittings as well as new sails from Rod Carr.

Any help or leads on this would be really appreciated as I really want to get this baby back in the water as it has been decades since it got wet. I have had it now for 2 years.
kevin
Nov 13, 2017, 05:17 PM
If it floats....sail it!
I may but I am out right now. Let me check later. If not, I have some spruce that could be used.
Nov 13, 2017, 07:11 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin kavaney
I am finally getting back to restoring Vortex 386.
kevin
Kevin - never heard of this design before. Can you point me to some pages describing it? Or maybe some photos of yours?

thank you.
Nov 13, 2017, 09:12 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevin kavaney
I am finally getting back to restoring Vortex 386. Have spent the last year getting ready for the 2017 ODOM NCR that we just held here two months ago.
Since that time I have been looking everywhere to find my main sail boom and I can not find it.
I have the original mast and Jib boom, but can not find the main boom.
I am wondering if anyone who might have converted to a newer aluminum rig might have an original wood boom, or even a full rig for that matter, they would consider selling me. I don't see myself racing this much since the closest Santa Barbara is probably Chicago, a days drive from here, so I would like to keep it vintage appearing. With the help of Foam Crusher and others on this thread, I have been able to fabricate wooden formers and platform and have the servo city set up for the winch set up so I am close to getting this back together but obviously can't do much on the rigging till I have all the parts. I had a custom vang made up by Roger at Model Yacht Fittings as well as new sails from Rod Carr.

Any help or leads on this would be really appreciated as I really want to get this baby back in the water as it has been decades since it got wet. I have had it now for 2 years.
kevin
Kevin,

I have a wood boom that measures 24" long. If that works, it's yours. Just need to get it to you. Let me know.

Rich Gault