Santa Barbara One Design - Page 85 - RC Groups
Mar 24, 2017, 07:56 AM
Do you run the backstay straight 1:2 with the actuonix ?
to remove ads between posts
Mar 24, 2017, 07:59 AM
do you run that straight or 1:2 with the actuonix?
Last edited by starinstripes; Mar 24, 2017 at 08:00 AM. Reason: its a duplicate
Mar 26, 2017, 11:31 PM
Yes, I would. That linear drive L16 is one tough customer for a servo. You can thank Dave Ramos for introducing this to the group. I don't have one installed in my SB, but have one in my 10 rater for the backstay and so far, it works well. My second 10 rater will also get the same servo. Ryan
Apr 19, 2017, 06:26 PM
If it floats....sail it!

Bob Mosher Memorial SB Regatta NOR Posted

The NOR for the 2nd Annual Bob Mosher Memorial - No Food - No Drink - No Trophies, but NO FEES Regatta on Saturday, August 5, 2017 at Bridgeway Lakes Part in West Sacramento is now posted at http://egmyc.net/Assets-EGMYC/2017Mo...her2017NOR.pdf

This is a one day event for Santa Barbaras only. The only requirement is a class legal SB and that you are a current AMYA member, since AMYA Green Chevrons will be awarded for 1st through 3rd place. Depending upon the conditions, we hope to get 16 or more heats in from 10:00 to 17:00.

Come join us for a full day of SB racing in honor of Bob Mosher, former Elk Grove and Sacramento MYC's member.

The NOR has all the specifics, but if you need more information, please PM me.

Steve
Apr 23, 2017, 09:16 PM

welcome a NEW S/B !

Hi guys
the Chicago RC MYC had it's season opener today, we had 8 S/Bs on the start line. club member Don Z. showed up for his maiden sail of his new Ramos built hull. He did a beautiful strip plank deck.
Welcome Don to the fold ! he is running a RMG inside.
yep, another mid-west flat deck S/B.......it's what we do here.
I snapped a few.....
May 18, 2017, 06:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rssailor
It should be fine. You are planning on using the original setup for the jib? Ryan
Actually should I use the original set up or not because using those "rails" I guess you would call them I cant see how you could possibly pull the sails into the center tight enough? Or should I move the location to a new place where the lines come through the hull? What do others think, and how do other people set up this boat?
May 22, 2017, 08:41 AM
What type of rigging thread or chord does anyone reccomend? Should I use braided nylon line, kite string? And where should I buy it? Got this Vortex Santa Barbara in from Texas and needed to make a hatch for it from fiberglass cloth. But now have to finish the rigging.
May 22, 2017, 11:03 AM
If it floats....sail it!
I use braided spectra fishing line - Cortland Master Braid that - that I buy on-line from CharkBait.com. To get a large enough diameter so it won't jam in the blocks on the end of the winch arm, you need to use at least 130 lb test. Unfortunately, you have to buy a 300 yd spool which is $$$$, but it is enough that it will last you and your whole club for years. 🤑

Dacron line will work, but I find it to be too stiff for our light winds here.

To answer your question about what to do with the jib deck fairleads, look at the original plans on the SB section of the AMYA website and use a single fairlead on the centerline. That traveler thing is very non-stock.

Mine is 21" aft of the bow, but that may vary depending upon the length of the winch arm on the jib side and where you put the jib sheet attachment point on the jib boom.

Most builders put in the fairleads first and change the length of the arms to get the righ relationship. (Exactly how you do this is a rather long topic)

Steve
SB 5115
May 25, 2017, 12:02 AM
Well as far as line, check out the line that Midwest Model Yachts stocks. I use either Dyneema or Spectra line mostly. On my Santa Barbara, I think I am using 90Lb spectra. Now as far as the Vortex thru deck fitting, I pulled the travelers off and the jib fairlead off and glassed over the holes. Used Pekabe thru deck fittings. Looked at their website, some kind of error when you look at thru deck fittings, send Diane an email, she will get you all set.
What are you using for a winch in the boat? Ryan
May 25, 2017, 12:04 AM
You should be able to order a hatch for your ocean racer deck from the Robinsons in Sacramento. sbyachts@yahoo.com
Jul 08, 2017, 08:00 PM

Vortex 1079

Just about to deck 1079. Have a new double spreader rig that I think will work nicely. All the numbers on this boat look good so far. Going to try out the new linear servo everyone has been raving about for the backstay adjuster.
Jul 08, 2017, 09:48 PM
Hey SJ

Could you please post more info regarding the "Linear Servo" intended for backstay adjuster ... as you referred to in your post above ??
Jul 09, 2017, 03:00 AM
Sure, here is a link to servo city. https://www.servocity.com/100-mm-str...y-linear-servo

Thinking I'm going to set it up on the landing gear switch so going upwind, "gear up", it will be tensioned for the correct headstay tension and leech shape. Going downwind, "gear down" it will be fully eased. I can set the travel limits in the programming of the TX.

I built a rather "farm equipment" version of a radio board. Not much to look at but it seems like it will do the job.

Pics to follow...

SJ
Jul 09, 2017, 05:46 PM

Vortex 1079

Here is a pic of my John Deer radio board.
Sep 28, 2017, 09:02 PM
Quick intro here.... my name is Sam Staton, and I live in Jacksonville, FL. I bought my first sailboat (a S/B) from Bob Debow in San Diego in 1976. AMYA#3031. Finally decided to build another S/B after being without one for decades. CPM Sail#2021. Just joined the forum tonight.