1st bad image is a KDH fitting from Leading Edge Hobbies
2nd. is a exit block from Worth Marine.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2013, 11:23 AM
wyldrydes

SBOD backstay downhaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClayH
I What's the best way to rig a backstay adjuster? How much servo torque is needed What's the best way to pass the lead through the deck?
If your setup has the mast straight and the servo arm is in the 6 o'clock position there is very little if any load on the servo. Then downhaul with a 1/2" servo arm. Transit that arm to the 12 o'clock position (180* may require a servo stretcher/simple-cheap) In both the 6 o'clock and 12 o'clock ("over-center" positions) there is virtually NO load on the servo. Remember-the maximum "load" happens at 90*. Transit through that 90* and hold at 12 o'clock and you have nearly zero load. I use a regular AC elevator servo for my SBOD downhaul servo without issue.

Picture #1 is a friends through the deck fairlead. Picture #2 shows 6:1 blocks used to reduce downhaul load.

Hope his helps.
Feb 27, 2013, 02:02 AM
I am using a Hitec 765 which is probably overkill, but works great. Would guess any servo between 150 and 200 inch oz torque would do the job. Use a 2:1 purchase and reduce the load further. Ryan
Mar 01, 2013, 01:09 AM
Any SFMYC guys wanna tag along Sunday? I am going to Sac for their first race of the season? Have room in my truck for another sailor and their boat(s). Ryan
Mar 04, 2013, 12:16 AM
Guys, those of you that did not make it to Sacto missed out. Light breeze and some puffs made sailing at Lake Natoma challenging today. Seven Santa Barbara's were sailing today and the fleet was highly competitive. Lets get a good turn out on the 16th for the first SFMYC Santa Barbara race. Ryan
Mar 09, 2013, 02:00 AM
Picking up my new BBJ sails tomorrow morning. Saw em today, Jess Atkinson sure does build a nice set of sails. Can't wait to put the new rig together and try em out. Ryan
Mar 09, 2013, 03:43 AM
Ryan,

I've been talking to Jess too and was wondering what materials you went with for your sails? His sails were dominant at the Soling 50 Nats this year and I've been wanting to get since seeing them there.

Clay
Last edited by ClayH; Mar 09, 2013 at 11:26 AM.
Mar 09, 2013, 11:12 AM
Clay,
My sails are made of PX75. When I get my new rig built, will take a picture. Ryan
Mar 16, 2013, 09:13 AM
wyldrydes

Sfmyc sbod r#1 2013

SFMYC's SANTA BARBARA ONE DESIGN (SBOD) RACE #1 TODAY IS SCHEDULED FOR 1 PM HERE ON SPRECKELS LAKE. BRING IT. CARRY ON.
Mar 16, 2013, 10:37 AM
Lets see how many boats we can get today. I will be there and hope to see the rest of the gang. Ryan
Mar 16, 2013, 07:56 PM
wyldrydes

one-down-seven-to-go

9 skippers and boats turned out for the SFMYCs Santa Barbara One Design 2013 Race #1. Way to go, skippers.

Next Saturday we have the club's first Infinity 54 race. Lets hope we have a similar turnout (or bigger)

CU on the H²0
Mar 19, 2013, 11:51 AM
I attended the second SMYC race this past sunday and we had seven boat. Light and fluky winds, but great sailing. I did not do very well, made lots of mistakes, but had fun. Gene was very fast. The Sacto group is very fast and competitive. Ryan
Mar 27, 2013, 04:55 AM
RC Sailboat Builder

A plan for S/B Class cabins found for making laser cut parts

I received an inquiry for making laser cut parts for a Santa Barbara cabin that is different than seen on your boat model.

Do you know of anyone offering S/B cabins?

Is there any interest in such?

I will post the plan I received on my website.

Milton Thrasher
Mar 27, 2013, 09:37 AM
wyldrydes
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiltonThrasher
I
Do you know of anyone offering S/B cabins?

I will post the plan I received on my website.

Milton Thrasher
Thank you!!!
The only SB being manufactured now has the later design flat deck.

I'm sure some of those with a Vortex (cabin) would be grateful knowing we can get a backup just incase.

Hiring a diver when one goes in the lake is $$$. Yeowie. Been there; done that-not good. (:
Mar 28, 2013, 12:22 AM
I have a mold for the 300 Vortex cabin, to make fiberglass cabin's, here's some pictures of it
John R.

Quick Reply