Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Mar 18, 2014, 12:21 AM
Solar Powered
For ballast, around the CG is best.

I don't have much in the way of resources, so for me 'ballast' is a combination of 8 and 16 penny nails secured under the rubber band that holds the wing halves together, mine is portable. The rubber band is just behind the spar and the spar is CG.

I also built mine a bit heavy on purpose, expecting it to be a medium to heavy lift flyer, so ballast is usually minimal and i just don't fly it unless it's bangin' out there. I've got other stuff for light lift. I've gone as far as strapping a fist sized rock on it to fly in a gale, what a beast as a leadsled!
to remove ads between posts
Mar 18, 2014, 01:51 AM
Hi Ian,
cut the nose and build a space for ballast, glue together and let a little hole
for filling it up with little led bowls.
Mar 18, 2014, 01:57 AM
flyin' fool
Here's two methods I use for adding ballast. With one the holes are drilled using a sharpened brass tube and the other has slots melted out with a solder iron. The center of the added ballast is right on the CG and the weight added can be adjusted by the lengths or how many of the 1/4" round lead sticks. The lead is found on a roll at fishing gear suppliers.

The amount of ballast all depends on how well the model penetrates the higher winds, the more the wind, the more ballast. Once you've got it right the model will fly straight into the wind/lift, the speed will increase dramatically and the aerobatics capabilities increase.

Big wind, big ballast, big fun...................
Mar 18, 2014, 02:00 AM
flyin' fool
Quote:
cut the nose and build a space for ballast, glue together and let a little hole
for filling it up with little led bowls.
That's OK for ballance, but not for ballast.
Mar 18, 2014, 06:11 AM
absolutely maybe
Rusty, Goldguy and federl,

Thank you for the tips and tricks of the trade, I think the next build will definately have a fuselage, it gives me a little more freedom to position the electronics better to get the Cof G without adding dead weight and room to add weight (ballast) as required.

thanks again gentlemen!
Ian
Mar 18, 2014, 07:23 AM
Quote:
That's OK for ballance, but not for ballast.
For ballast i have a chamber to carry 30g. If i need more and for any use:
Just tape a row of led bars (= car wheel balancing) right on the CG or for
heavy winds a little more frontside CG
Mar 18, 2014, 11:40 AM
flyin' fool
And.......................when you run out of lead.....................
Mar 18, 2014, 11:42 AM
flyin' fool
That's an Assagai ballasted for 60+ kph winds
Mar 18, 2014, 05:06 PM
Gunslinger
goldguy, is the Assagai any good? I looked it up twice the webpage to find the Weasel EPP clone discontinued and only found the Assagai double feature pack. If it's worth it I would order it - one for me, the other for my 'big' 10y old son.
Mar 19, 2014, 01:33 AM
How to ballast a Wisel
Giga beer lift (1 min 33 sec)

How to buy a Wiesel XP
http://www.ebay.at/itm/WIESEL-XP-aus...item2559eed122
Mar 19, 2014, 05:27 AM
flyin' fool
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunslinger68
goldguy, is the Assagai any good? I looked it up twice the webpage to find the Weasel EPP clone discontinued and only found the Assagai double feature pack. If it's worth it I would order it - one for me, the other for my 'big' 10y old son.
The Assagai is a wonderful flyer and a favorite around here. It flies great in light lift if built light and with ballast in big wind, it's one of my best. I definitely recommend it. I did a few mods, one of which was to run a CF rod through the fuse up to the nose. It helps keep things in place.

Broke two slopers in combat today, including my Assagai which got mid aired, all easy hot melt fixes. Good fun that smashing foam.
Mar 19, 2014, 07:01 PM
It's time for me to fly
Quote:
Originally Posted by pistnbroke
Where are you placing your ballast on your Wisel's, taped to the wing, inside the fuselage, taped under the fuslage......
Ian
Roofing lead is great for ballasting. It's lead sheet, comes on a roll, the stuff I have is ~1/32" thick (<1mm). Cuts with scissors, bends to shape with your fingers. I cut rectangles that weigh .5oz. and 1oz., shape them to fit the belly, and tape them under the plane. Stack them if you need more.
I'm sure you could buy a foot or two of it from your local roofer. (I found a 40 pound roll under my shed....previous owners of my house were roofers
Mar 19, 2014, 07:48 PM
absolutely maybe
Hi JimZinVT

Thank you for your reply. I happen to have a small roll of lead flashing that I can do what you suggest.

It makes me chuckle to myself a little that every time I get assistance from the RC community, the weights are mostly stated in ounce and I have to convert it to grams and visa versa when I post on here. ( I don't want to start any debates Metric V's Imperial etc)
Mar 19, 2014, 08:21 PM
It's time for me to fly
I usually try to use both units, since this community truly is worldwide. I did for the thickness but spaced when it came to the weights
Call an ounce 30g and you're close enough.

The google search bar is a handy instant converter. Just type in, say, "1 oz in g", and without hitting the "search" button it tells you "28.3495231g" (I believe you need to check "show suggestions" in the search options for this to work....right click the search bar )

Imperial is a really illogical system, but it's what we're stuck with over here. I'm pretty good with metric (since I was edumacated as a pharmacist) but converting back and forth is a pain.
Last edited by JimZinVT; Mar 19, 2014 at 08:26 PM.
Mar 19, 2014, 09:54 PM
absolutely maybe
Hi Jim,

I have just edumacated (I'm just illiterate) myself a little, using Google of course and had a look at your part of the world, it looks amazing!

Ian

Quick Reply