Wisel, just the glider you need. - Page 4 - RC Groups
Oct 23, 2011, 03:17 AM
DS will change your life
Hi Ric
Nice to see you and Telesforo have fun with the wisel
It looks like it have a lot of ballast
And nice slope you got there...
Today and next week will the wind be good for Aalbaek slope, so I am loading the car with gliders
Cheers
Søren
to remove ads between posts
Oct 23, 2011, 03:44 AM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Hi SpeedsterDEN,

yes, we are having a lot of fun with the Wisel
Btw it was not charged, but it is not very light though.
In the picture attached you can see how much stressed was the wing after some hours of DS.

Mhmm Aelbaek, so jealous

Best regards,
Ric
Oct 30, 2011, 12:27 AM
remotely sensitive

A fun tough glider!

Built from SpeedsterDen's Pdf. Nice light little glider. I had no idea that white cheap EPS foam could be so tough and strong when cover with packing tape! I had some test wings that I hit hard onto wood to see the limits.. then I bent the heck out them.. There are really no limits! I've crashed and cartwheeled this plane so many times. Only Gripe is that inverted flight seems to suffer from the reflex airfoil.. but no real suprise there. maybe more of a cg issue on my part. It's fun.. aerotowed today! Sloping last weekend. and tossed in the backyard all week.
Oct 30, 2011, 04:19 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by woodenshoe
Built from SpeedsterDen's Pdf. Nice light little glider. I had no idea that white cheap EPS foam could be so tough and strong when cover with packing tape! I had some test wings that I hit hard onto wood to see the limits.. then I bent the heck out them.. There are really no limits! I've crashed and cartwheeled this plane so many times. Only Gripe is that inverted flight seems to suffer from the reflex airfoil.. but no real suprise there. maybe more of a cg issue on my part. It's fun.. aerotowed today! Sloping last weekend. and tossed in the backyard all week.
Hi woodenshoe
Cool looking glider, Glad you like it.
For better inverted performance move the cg a bit back and when rolling to inverted, start with good speed and be careful not to push full down elevator, this will take all the speed, but just give just enough down to maintain the altitude.
As you say not the best inverted, but in thes way it can be flown inverted for long time in good lift.

The next one I am making is cut in blue foam, and the ailerons will be cut out of the wing in the foam.
The wing is cut and glued together next step will be the aileron cut.
But other projekts will come first.
(4 meter Fox, and Speedster 160") + indoor
Nov 01, 2011, 01:05 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Hi,

here are finally a couple of pictures of my new Wisel.
Wing in Styrofoam, covered with package paper, fuselage in plywood.

Best regards,

Ric
Nov 01, 2011, 03:51 PM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiloschista
Hi,

here are finally a couple of pictures of my new Wisel.
Wing in Styrofoam, covered with package paper, fuselage in plywood.

Best regards,

Ric
Hi Ric
Cool glider
Is this a DS version
Have fun with it...

Cheers
Soren
Nov 02, 2011, 07:21 AM
This is me Wieseling around in Denmark two weeks ago...

It's made of cheap styro from the do-it-yourself store. Initial weight was around 300 g but I had to ballast it to 450g. It realy likes the extra weight. Had a lot of fun with it.

PS: Watch the blasphemy (sticker) !
Nov 02, 2011, 11:13 AM
still learning
I've enjoyed the videos and photos.

When I build one, I'll likely be bungee launching (flat land here). Not sure if there is a better way.

However, on post 41 (link), would someone tell me what the green cord j2m2t2 built into his/her wisel is used for? Is it for some type of side arm launch or stick launch, and would you guess if there is a similar one on the bottom?
Nov 02, 2011, 11:49 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroknot
I've enjoyed the videos and photos.

When I build one, I'll likely be bungee launching (flat land here). Not sure if there is a better way.

However, on post 41 (link), would someone tell me what the green cord j2m2t2 built into his/her wisel is used for? Is it for some type of side arm launch or stick launch, and would you guess if there is a similar one on the bottom?
Thats nylon cord attached to my switch jack so I don't forget to remove it.
The Wisel flew well in CA while on vacation.
Nov 02, 2011, 12:37 PM
still learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
Thats nylon cord attached to my switch jack so I don't forget to remove it.
The Wisel flew well in CA while on vacation.
:laughs: thanks. Glad your Wisel flew well - it looks good too.
Nov 02, 2011, 02:27 PM
still learning
For both versions (fuselage and lighter no fuselage) are the ailerons 4cm full length or 4cm root and 3cm tip?
Nov 02, 2011, 05:59 PM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeroknot
For both versions (fuselage and lighter no fuselage) are the ailerons 4cm full length or 4cm root and 3cm tip?
Hi Aero
4 cm at the root and 3 cm at the tip, both types.

We Have cut wings for 8 Wisel in the evening school for children this evening

Video from the Evening school last year, where we were building Cobra planes.
This year we are making Cleancut (Depron, indoor combat planes), and Cobra and Wisel.

Sæby Ungdomsskole, modelbygning (3 min 42 sec)

Cheers
S
Nov 02, 2011, 07:22 PM
It's time for me to fly
I've been thinking that with a larger symmetrical tail that extends out the back (like this SAL-SA dlg wing) the Wisel could be side-arm launched like an Alula.

I'm going to have to build myself a Wisel soon and get in on the fun! I found a 4'x8' sheet of 2" pink foam on the roadside recently, so I've got the materials :-)

Last edited by JimZinVT; Nov 02, 2011 at 07:30 PM.
Nov 02, 2011, 08:23 PM
still learning
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Hi Aero
4 cm at the root and 3 cm at the tip, both types.

We Have cut wings for 8 Wisel in the evening school for children this evening

Cheers
S
Thanks - I'll cut the wing template and elevons as one piece as you did with your blue foam, except I have pink 2" thick foam here. I'm using your 29 cm wing templates and just extending them the aileron width longer, but keeping the wing template the same thickness.

Good job teaching the children building airplanes!

For the katapult launch, did you use a tow hook, or your velcro attachment?
Nov 03, 2011, 01:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JimZinVT
I've been thinking that with a larger symmetrical tail that extends out the back (like this SAL-SA dlg wing) the Wisel could be side-arm launched like an Alula.

I'm going to have to build myself a Wisel soon and get in on the fun! I found a 4'x8' sheet of 2" pink foam on the roadside recently, so I've got the materials :-)

Funny. That was my thought exactly. Im almost done building something crossed between the SALSA and the KFerret with Wisel foils. Just have to install RX and attach elevons.