Wisel, just the glider you need. - Page 3 - RC Groups
Aug 12, 2011, 01:30 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Hi SpeedsterDEN,

there is a Wisel flying in Switzerland too now
My son and me build it in a couple of days. This one is simply covered with fibreglass reinforced tape.

We had some fun launching it with a rubber band.

I'm building a second one covered with package paper. Coming soon

Thanks for this thread and all the infos.

Best regards,

Ric
to remove ads between posts
Aug 27, 2011, 06:15 AM
Mr SpeedsterDEN, just starting on a light one in the south of the UK when my 4week old son gives me a moment. Thank you for the info will let you know how it goes.
Sep 13, 2011, 09:43 PM
I'm about to cut my first Wisel wing with a bow, actually first wing ever. Since the root and tip airfoils are different I think they need to be on the same plane, parallel? Do I align the bottoms of airfoil, middle, or top on the foam ends? I hope that makes sense.
Sep 14, 2011, 01:21 AM
DS will change your life

Washout

Quote:
Originally Posted by j2m2t2
I'm about to cut my first Wisel wing with a bow, actually first wing ever. Since the root and tip airfoils are different I think they need to be on the same plane, parallel? Do I align the bottoms of airfoil, middle, or top on the foam ends? I hope that makes sense.
If you put the leading edge on the tip airfoils at the same height as the root, and lift the backend of the tip airfoil just 1 MM compared to the root, then you got a little washout that gives the plane a nice handling.

I hope that makes sense
Sep 14, 2011, 09:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
If you put the leading edge on the tip airfoils at the same height as the root, and lift the backend of the tip airfoil just 1 MM compared to the root, then you got a little washout that gives the plane a nice handling.

I hope that makes sense
Thank you very much. Thats exactly what I was looking for.
Sep 14, 2011, 11:26 PM
Here are my cores. I did a few test burns and then went for it. I had a few ridges I had to sand out because I couldn't get the bow to go through both the tip and root at the same speed. I'm still real happy with the outcome.

More to come soon.
Sep 17, 2011, 03:47 PM
All that's left is to install gear. Current weight is 73g. I only deviated from the plans to add 10mm dihedral just so I wouldn't accidentally put in negative dihedral.

I'm going to San Diego next month and thought I should build a friend for my Alula.

Thanks for the plans SpeedsterDEN
Sep 17, 2011, 03:56 PM
DS will change your life
Looking great, you will love it
Sep 18, 2011, 08:12 AM
This is my Wisel DK build in progress. It's all EPS foam but very stiff and not meant for combat. It'll hit the slope in Denmark next month.
Sep 18, 2011, 10:59 AM
Build ALL the models O_O!
Aw man! So many Wisels I'm going to HAVE to build one aren't I?

My girlfreind think's they're "really cute." So that's a plus.
Sep 30, 2011, 03:30 PM
Completed. 5oz AUW. Maiden next.
Last edited by j2m2t2; Oct 01, 2011 at 10:49 AM.
Oct 22, 2011, 03:01 PM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry

Airfoil

Quote:

I hope that makes sense
Hey Speed...
Is that an existing airfoil?(if yes can you tell me the right name..it will help me to design the templates with Profili to cut the foam)
Or you design it?
Thanks
Ago
Oct 22, 2011, 03:23 PM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by AgoMago
Hey Speed...
Is that an existing airfoil?(if yes can you tell me the right name..it will help me to design the templates with Profili to cut the foam)
Or you design it?
Thanks
Ago
Hi Ago
Sorry, dont know the name of the airfoil.
I have not design it, but its very good for this type of glider.
Can go very slow on the light version, and its realy fast on my fiberglass version.
And it can carry a lot of ballast.
Good luck
S
Oct 22, 2011, 03:37 PM
Tarzanstyle English Sorry
Quote:
Hi Ago
Sorry, dont know the name of the airfoil.
I have not design it, but its very good for this type of glider.
Can go very slow on the light version, and its realy fast on my fiberglass version.
And it can carry a lot of ballast.
Good luck
S
Thanks Speed.. for the quick answer
Ago
Oct 22, 2011, 06:23 PM
T.ing to put on air 100 models
Hi,

I just posted a video of my ten years old son, stressing his Wisel doing dynamic soaring. After some days of this exercise the foam was so stressed that the plane acquired some dihedral when turning
The plane is this one, but with some colours now.
The one covered with package paper is coming, it is incredibly stiff !

Best regards,

Ric

Weasel DS.mp4 (2 min 41 sec)