Wisel, just the glider you need. - Page 11 - RC Groups
Jul 16, 2012, 03:46 AM
Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by chiloschista
Wow, that's a flight !

Ric
Hi Ric
That was one minute out of a 20 minute session which ended for me when my tail fin was eaten by an angry "duck"(Wowings Duck)
I have just finished my 3rd Wisel cause one just aint enough.
They are just so much fun

My new Wisel is 900mm wing span, 14 deg sweep, 300mm root,150mm tip, 50mm elevon width and PW51 wing profile
Cliff
Last edited by 16141; Jul 16, 2012 at 03:54 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 18, 2012, 11:37 PM
Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert flier
Another Weasel is born first wing so a bit nervous YAY flies great a handfull of back trim and floated out rock solid had 3 20min flights great little wing
Its the take anywhere fun machine
Cliff
Jul 19, 2012, 01:38 AM
Cliff

Wisel maiden

Wisel Glider PW51 (1 min 17 sec)

17/07/2012
Short vid of part of my new Wisel maiden flight at Point Arkwright QLD
4m/s wind speed
PW51 wing profile
Please ignor the date in the vid as i forgot to reset it on the computer.(key chain cam)
Cliff
Jul 19, 2012, 02:48 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16141
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KKX72019ViQ
17/07/2012
Short vid of part of my new Wisel maiden flight at Point Arkwright QLD
4m/s wind speed
PW51 wing profile
Please ignor the date in the vid as i forgot to reset it on the computer.(key chain cam)
Cliff
Hi
Cool.
Do you think your new one with PW51 is better than the normal one ?

Cheers
S
Jul 19, 2012, 03:38 AM
Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Hi
Cool.
Do you think your new one with PW51 is better than the normal one ?

Cheers
S
Hi SpeedsterDEN
Thanks again for the plans .This glider has made a huge difference to my flying ability and confidence in trying new aerobatic moves

The PW51 Wisel can fly better inverted than the original reflex profile Wisel but feels a alot heavier in light lift. the original Wisel can also turn alot tighter than the PW51 Wisel in light conditions (creates more lift).The PW51 WIsel however is a lot faster than the original Wisel.

But when it comes to checking the condition of any of the sites I fly I still choose the original Wisel. Both be good at what they do different
Cliff
Jul 20, 2012, 11:48 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by 16141
Hi SpeedsterDEN
Thanks again for the plans .This glider has made a huge difference to my flying ability and confidence in trying new aerobatic moves

The PW51 Wisel can fly better inverted than the original reflex profile Wisel but feels a alot heavier in light lift. the original Wisel can also turn alot tighter than the PW51 Wisel in light conditions (creates more lift).The PW51 WIsel however is a lot faster than the original Wisel.

But when it comes to checking the condition of any of the sites I fly I still choose the original Wisel. Both be good at what they do different
Cliff
Hi Cliff
Glad you like them.
Then you have to make the Mega Wisel next
It have much more punch, and is a real pleasure to fly.
Also inverted.

More Mega Wiesel (1 min 57 sec)

And if you are new here in this thread, and thinking of building one do not hesitate to make it bigger than the original.
The Mega flies great and is dobbel size, it would be fun to see some wisel in other sizes.
Jul 20, 2012, 05:13 PM
Cliff
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpeedsterDEN
Hi Cliff
Glad you like them.
Then you have to make the Mega Wisel next
It have much more punch, and is a real pleasure to fly.
Also inverted.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SZmAnncKVnU

And if you are new here in this thread, and thinking of building one do not hesitate to make it bigger than the original.
The Mega flies great and is dobbel size, it would be fun to see some wisel in other sizes.
Aug 19, 2012, 11:51 AM
DS will change your life
Sloping today, great fun with 2 Mega and 3 normal size wisel.
Sloping, termal, combat

Close fly by with
Wisel and a insect

Wiesel and insect, close fly by. (0 min 36 sec)

Cheers
S
Sep 06, 2012, 09:58 AM
Thanks SpeedsterDen for the plans. I built the first Wisel glider per your plans but enlarged it to 40 inch wingspan, and used the Eppler 334 airfoil. The glider flyes great. I am building a second one that is 48 inches, mainly because the foam comes in 24 inch width. I used EPP 1.3 pound per square foot. The second glider, I am using your provided airfoil template, scaled to 48 inch wing span. I am hoping that your airfoil will provide a little better lift for the mainly light lift that I fly. The first one was 15.1 oz, which is heavy (even for a 40 inch plane), but I use laminating film to make the glider last. The areas that I fly are rock, brush and catus, and typical coverings fall apart quickly. I guess if I could catch the glider like you do, I could get away with a lighter covering. Thanks again.
Sep 06, 2012, 10:25 AM
DS will change your life
Cool
The standart airfoil can carry a lot of weight, my fiberglass version is 720 gram /25 oz and it fly great , (In Ds I even put on 10 oz inside ballast)
and the leight version is just 195 gram/6,8 oz.
And its even better in light lift that the Alula.
Keep on posting

Wiesel light, dune flying. (2 min 20 sec)

Good luck
S
Sep 06, 2012, 12:00 PM
I should be able to finish the 48 inch Wisel in the next week and will post the result of that glider, I am hoping to keep the wieght around 18 oz. This sounds heavy, but this is a 48 inch wing span. The wing loading on this plane will be less than the 40 inch glider, even at 18.5 oz.
Sep 10, 2012, 01:04 PM
The 48 inch wisel is finished and I flew it late Sunday afternoon. The wind was not good, 15 to 20 miles an hour for a lot of it. The plane did not fly well and it was simply an exercise to keep it in the air. At about sundown, the wind went very light, less than 1mph, and I started to see minor tucking when turning. I added another 1/4 of an ounce to the nose and the flying improved. I will need to fly it more to make sure I have the CG dialed in. The dive test does not seem to work well, it was indicating a forward CG, but when I added 1/4 oz of lead, a lot of the problems seemed to disappear? It looked like a tip stall, and anytime that I made a minor turn the plane dropped about 10 feet before recovering. With the addition of the weight this behavor seemed to improve. It was getting dark, so it may still have the problem, further testing needed. The 48 inch AUW is around 19 oz, this gives a wing loading of around 4.2 oz per square foot.
Sep 11, 2012, 05:03 PM
Wow just found this thread and the Wisel sure looks like fun. I own 2 Reg. Dream Flight Weasel but love the idea of scatchbuilt stuff. I was thinking about the Alula but if the Light version here does that good I think I might try that, also the Mega Looks cool as well. Something to go with the 48inch Zagi Wing I have. My only problem is I don't cut wing cores. I would love to if someone would help me with the construction of a core cutter. I am mechanically inclined and have a lot of tools and not afraid to learn. If someone would point my in the right direction they can PM me. Looks good SpeedsterDen, thanks
Sep 17, 2012, 08:31 AM
┌∩┐(⋟﹏⋞)┌∩┐ The FAA
Hey I want to build the wisel when i get a break in school, so i was just wondering about a few things, does anyone have a gear layout? Where to (approximately) put the electronics to get near the CG with as little ballast possible?
Also.. what is the best choice for batteries? could you us a 1s lipo? that would be really light..

thanks,
Seth
Sep 17, 2012, 09:06 AM
DS will change your life
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightfox7
Hey I want to build the wisel when i get a break in school, so i was just wondering about a few things, does anyone have a gear layout? Where to (approximately) put the electronics to get near the CG with as little ballast possible?
Also.. what is the best choice for batteries? could you us a 1s lipo? that would be really light..

thanks,
Seth
Hi
Batteries as and servos as far forward as possible, even the light version with depron ailerons and rudder need a bit of lead for rigth cg.
perhaps make the fuselage a bit longer, it will help.

S

Quick Reply