Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Dec 10, 2015, 03:24 PM
stensilling lettering and carved on the plotter or scissors.

is completely cut sissors - Oracal pasted onto the substrate and transferred to the wing

Sorry for my English
to remove ads between posts
Dec 10, 2015, 04:01 PM
Flying one day at a time....
Superb!

Your English is very good - no need to apologise

Dave
Dec 10, 2015, 09:06 PM
Aeronca Driver
Great looking planes. Very nice work.
Last edited by ch701; Dec 12, 2015 at 03:45 AM.
Dec 10, 2015, 10:37 PM
flyin' fool
Crash Proof Nose Job ................ gooped EPP, nylon strapping and CF rods.

My pods are always built from scraps hot glued together, whittled with a new sharp blade to shape and scrubbed with 80 grit sandpaper. The fuzzies are removed with my hobby iron on parchment paper. A sharpened wire is inserted to make pilot holes from the nose to past the LE into the wing a few inches. The rods are just pounded in, no glue require.

I can slam into the ground nose first at full tilt and no damage.

Tested and retested thousands of times.
Dec 11, 2015, 07:35 AM
Flying one day at a time....
Yep - I can see all the many advantages of EPP pods

I hanker after something slightly different - a very slim, low-drag, hard, slippy little sucker of a pod.......

Still very unsure whether this is a good idea or not, but so far the development is showing some potential. Its also cheap and easy to make. I'd say "quick" as well, but I'm using aliphatic glue which needs a few hours to cure.

Some more steps along the way:-
Dec 11, 2015, 08:54 AM
@Kompmen that looks better than commercially available gliders.
Dec 11, 2015, 11:15 AM
Thank you for your pleasant comments!
Dec 11, 2015, 04:32 PM
absolutely maybe
Quote:
Originally Posted by FranciscoB
@Kompmen that looks better than commercially available gliders.
Agreed, beautifully finished!

Regards
Ian
Dec 11, 2015, 04:40 PM
Slope-a-Dope
also agree with others....very well executed techniques and construction.

what is the skid plate made of? It looks similar to your template material. Fiberglass, polycarbonate or something else?
Dec 12, 2015, 12:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve 0
also agree with others....very well executed techniques and construction.

what is the skid plate made of? It looks similar to your template material. Fiberglass, polycarbonate or something else?

cloth laminate, textolite
Dec 12, 2015, 04:15 PM
flyin' fool
kompmen:

How many slope sites do you fly from? Most of ours are out over the Pacific Ocean, or parts thereof.

Great craftsmanship on your builds.

Frank
Dec 13, 2015, 05:48 PM
Professional amature
Quote:
Originally Posted by goldguy
Crash Proof Nose Job ................ gooped EPP, nylon strapping and CF rods.

My pods are always built from scraps hot glued together, whittled with a new sharp blade to shape and scrubbed with 80 grit sandpaper. The fuzzies are removed with my hobby iron on parchment paper. A sharpened wire is inserted to make pilot holes from the nose to past the LE into the wing a few inches. The rods are just pounded in, no glue require.

I can slam into the ground nose first at full tilt and no damage.

Tested and retested thousands of times.
More fuse photos PLEASE!!!
Dec 13, 2015, 05:50 PM
Professional amature
Quote:
Originally Posted by kompmen
stensilling lettering and carved on the plotter or scissors.

is completely cut sissors - Oracal pasted onto the substrate and transferred to the wing

Sorry for my English
Gorgeous!!

Thanks for the detailed photos beginning at post 1495!!
Last edited by vastsky; Dec 13, 2015 at 05:56 PM.
Dec 13, 2015, 06:25 PM
flyin' fool
Next time I'm building a fuse pod I'll take some pics. Cutting cores right now.

Here's a few well tested EPP slopers with the 'nose job' that have been bashed, mashed, crashed, trashed and generally abused in combat and one point landings. The Assagai has been around for about three years, is the local 'loaner' and has had hundred of flight logged. The nose has had a few repairs, but still all in one piece.

The other thing I do that gives my slopers longevity is weed wacker line on the LE, 3M 77 on the wing and then taped with clear indoor/outdoor packing tape.

From 12:00.......... all well used, no hanger queens here....................

Wisel, Assagai, Wasp, Saker and even a Whipit ................ love em' all.
Last edited by goldguy; Dec 13, 2015 at 06:31 PM.
Dec 13, 2015, 08:01 PM
Professional amature
@ goldguy

One of my first builds was an EPP Assassin pusher. The kit provided thin, non-stretching cord that was to be installed in the entire perimeter of the two joined wing halves. The idea was to razor cut a shallow slot and PU or CA glue it in the entire wing perimeter and tie the two cord ends together so this perimeter string was under gentle tension. Sort of like the LE weed eater line concept, but extended to the entire wing structure. This provided the build with much improved durability to which I can attest!! Full speed, LiPo destroying lawn dart into pavement so hard that the pusher motor mount bent, yet the wing remained intact. EPP is voodoo magic!!

I'm still trying to scope out a slope site here in Kamloops.

Keep sharing those build tricks and techniques!! Love 'em!!
Ed

Quick Reply