This thread is privately moderated by u2builder, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 12, 2011, 07:39 AM
FlyLikeAnEagle-LandLikeADove
Thread OP
Discussion

Saito Powerplants

I was always a "two stroke guy". I loved the concept of a simple engine without a valve train that gave twice as many power strokes per rev as a four stroke. I thought the old 2S Saab was a cool car, though I never had one. I loved the toughness of my chainsaws. I dropped one in the brook when I was cutting a tree, and pulled it out, pulled the cord to pump the water out, and then it started and ran fine. And all of my snowmobiles have been 2S engines that make gobs of power.

So when I got back into this hobby I naturally gravitated toward 2S engines. I put them on all of my first nitro planes, which were all profiles.
I knew they made a lot of power. I'd read things about 4S engines having better torque and better throttle response but I really didn't believe it. But finally I decided I swap out the OS 55AX on my Primo 40 with a Saito 82, running the same Xoar 14 x 4 prop just to convince myself once and for all that all the fuss was much about nothing.

Boy was I surprised. It is hard to describe how much better I liked flying the Primo. First, there was the incredible slow idle and low speed performance, where one click of the throttle would make a noticeable difference. Second, there was the smooth transition and quick throttle response in the midrange where I do most of my flying. And then there was the cool sound and little puffs of smoke when I hit the throttle. Plus, there was the always easy start, and the lack of issues with the engine loading up on idle.

I started putting Saitos on many of my new planes, and had the same good experiences each time. One of my very first Profiles, my MOJO 60, was about the only plane in the hanger that I still flew with a 2S engine, the very nice OS 91 FX, which ran well and produced gobs of power. I had a Saito "hunnert" that I had bought here on Groups sitting in a plastic bag without a home, and a couple of days ago I figured what the heck, why not put it in the MOJO. I was a little hesitant as the OS 91 has nominally a LOT more power. I finished the switcharoo in the morning (same bolt holes was nice) and took the MOJO down to the field. Let me say it again: The Saito totally transformed the plane, and instantly made me a better pilot.

When I got home I took a picture of the very nice OS 91, and all the other nice low time 2S engines that I aquired for possible future projects, and posted them for sale here on RC Groups.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 13, 2011, 04:11 PM
I agree with what you've said about 4 strokes. I started flying rc with 2 strokes and flew 2 stroke motors many years ago in control line, but once I got my first 4 stroke, I've been hooked ever since.

Quick Reply