Jun 16, 2011, 01:22 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Thank you for posting the link. It looks good - and looks like special tail feathers!
to remove ads between posts
Jun 19, 2011, 04:57 PM
Thread OP
Hello Everyone!

I have made some changes and have a new test version for those who want to try it on my blog.

Whats New:
- Themes
- F3B Tasks
- F3J Tasks
- New, shorter menus

I still have to change the target selection for the 1-2-3-4 task and the timer needs to display 1/10 seconds for the F3J task. Work in progress!

Let me know what you think.
Jun 19, 2011, 07:37 PM
De tramacazo en tramacazo
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
Thanks for the comments!

.... How many have their iPhone jailbroken?
I do!!!
Jun 20, 2011, 05:56 AM
F3K
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing

- F3J Tasks
Hi
what about refly (or relaunch) in F3J task?
for example screenshot from the application by Vitaly
Jun 20, 2011, 11:05 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Adrian, let me know if you need an iPhone to test with. It's not jailbroken... yet.
Jun 21, 2011, 04:06 AM
De tramacazo en tramacazo
My iPhone is Jailbroken and ready for testing...
Jun 22, 2011, 12:58 PM
Scott Zastoupil
Any suggestions on finding a cheap Droid device that this app would run on? I am only familiar with phones and tablets. A 10" tablet strapped to a transmitter would be interesting.

Scott
Jun 22, 2011, 01:49 PM
Thread OP
Scott, We have used the app on an HTC hero so older, slower phones do work. Any android device should run it! The newer, faster ones will be a bit better but is not absolutely necessary!

If you look around, you can get a used phone for around $50 and up and you do not need to have a cell plan with it (you can use it on WiFi)
Jun 22, 2011, 03:10 PM
Adam RED Weston

Timer Ideas

Cool app... i was spinning around in my desk chair at work to simulate a launch... can't wait to velcro it to my TX.

One thing I'd like to see is the times added up at the end of the round, preferably in seconds. This is the number we need to put on our score cards. Sure we can use a calculator, but you've already got the data in the phone;-)

Also, I didn't see it right off, maybe its in there, but we'd need a chance to mark flights as off field.

Here's what the Palm Scoring application output looks like:

In this example the pilot landed off field so they clicked that flight (#3, 39 sec) and it went to Black and isn't calculated in the score. Also, the non-bolded (#2, 24 sec) flight doesn't count either, since this is the last flight task. The bolded flight (#1, 31 sec) is the one that's going to count. When the task is over, the total is added up and shows up in seconds in the upper right window.

The Palm app has really thought out a lot of the logic in timing software... if you aren't familiar with it, here's the link:
http://www.metzgerralf.de/palm/dlgti...en/index.shtml

and the instructions are here:
http://www.metzgerralf.de/palm/dlgti...n/manual.shtml

And if you'd like to play with a Palm with the software installed, I can drop it in the mail tomorrow.

Another thought... If the launching functionality could be repressed, the Android could be plugged in to our speaker system and run the round for us with the audio countdown and everything!

Thanks again,

RED
Jun 23, 2011, 07:54 PM
Thread OP
Thank you for the input.

I was wanting to keep the screen non specific as to where you touch (one button effectively) so you don't even need to look at or be able to see it.

I could have all the current task's flights on a sub menu perhaps, that toggled their "valid" status?

I will also add (as you mentioned) the scoring for each task - and read that out too.

If you want to use the timer on a pa system. in the "More Settings" menu and "Speech Settings" the launch functionality can be turned off as with the extra, target and flight commentary. You can even disable touch and motion click so nothing will happen or be changed "by mistake".

Very kind and thank you for offering to send me a device! I will spend the time on the app instead for now!

On the iPhone side, I am now looking for a well priced macbook since my friends mac was not intel, which it needs to be - and "Snow Leopard"!.
I did subscribe as a developer though...
Jun 23, 2011, 08:50 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oleg(ox)
Hi
what about refly (or relaunch) in F3J task?
Oleg, you mean the fact that after one flight it ends the task?
You can do more than one flight now. I will upload the new version after testing it a bit more since I made some other changes to structure my code!
Jun 23, 2011, 09:13 PM
Thread OP
If anyone wants to test new versions before they are ready for market, please PM me your email.

At the moment, I would like to know if the new tasks work at all or even make sense before going "to market" with them included! I may need to change what is displayed on the screen (or some labels) for instance...
Jun 25, 2011, 04:35 PM
I just downloaded this app. Fun! I will have to practice with it before our contest that's coming up. Also check if I can really see the screen.

I also fly TD. For practicing that, it would be neat to have a coundown/count up function with working time turned off and some choice about the last couple of minutes. Maybe make the timing choices by time remaining? When I fly in a TD contest, I ask the timer to tell me the time every minute, then for the second to last minute, every fifteen seconds, and every five for the last minute with maybe a 10 second count down. I have a commercial timer that's pretty close to this, but that's something to forget. I'd probably have the phone with me automatically.

I'd ask to try the beta version, but I only recently got the phone. In fact, today is the first day I put in any new apps.

I've got an obsolete palm lying around that I picked up at a yard sale, maybe I can turn that into another stopwatch, if I can get former owner to give me the password.
Jun 25, 2011, 04:44 PM
P.S. Another idea would be the option to use motion detection to stop the timer too. That way I could probably wear it on my belt when flying alone. I could just slap it (lightly) when landing. Maybe slap again to start timing again. However, I've found that it's hard to make it sensitive enough for this without false signals, especially when putting the thing back on my belt. Maybe there's an accelerometer on another axis to use for this? As if you weren't already doing enough for us for free.

Thanks!
Jun 26, 2011, 10:56 AM
Thread OP
Hello Lincoln

You already have the ability to use motion detection to stop the timer. Tilt the phone forward and bump down. It may not be sensitive enough at the moment as we have had some difficulty with the reliability of that action. I call it motion click... try it out!

Also, the phone goes well on the top of the transmitter rather than the belt. See Oleg,'s video in this thread :-)

If you want it to do some other type of task, let me know the "rules" and I will see if it can be added. I was also thinking of a custom task that could be setup to work in many different ways.

Quick Reply