Jun 12, 2011, 12:25 PM
Quote:
A friend has just lent me a mac. Lets see what I can do with it...
...good news!! :-D

I wish someone would do the same for RAM3 software as well...
to remove ads between posts
Jun 12, 2011, 03:58 PM
yippee!! You are the man!
Jun 13, 2011, 12:07 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Quote:
Originally Posted by extremewing
Thank you for all the encouraging comments!

A friend has just lent me a mac. Lets see what I can do with it...
Ohh man, that sounds soo yummy!!!!!

Finally a KILLER APP for my IPOD......
Jun 13, 2011, 04:21 AM
Launch low. Fly high ;)
This is one of many things I really like about the app. Every one in your group that is using the app reduces the need for a person-timer; that would save time. In our last contest we had to run two heats for every task so the timers could fly. We lost some folks near the end due to their time constraints; people had to leave. If everone was using the app, we could run only one heat per task saving time, and maybe running more tasks. All Extremewing needs to add the the app then is for it to say, "Lift is over there" then we wouldn't need timer-people at all...hehe.
Jun 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
hot air rises...
Jim, timing (and calling) the tasks is a skill to learn too. I view this app as a practice tool.
Jun 13, 2011, 09:58 AM
Jim C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hanger Rash
This is one of many things I really like about the app. Every one in your group that is using the app reduces the need for a person-timer; that would save time. In our last contest we had to run two heats for every task so the timers could fly. We lost some folks near the end due to their time constraints; people had to leave. If everone was using the app, we could run only one heat per task saving time, and maybe running more tasks. All Extremewing needs to add the the app then is for it to say, "Lift is over there" then we wouldn't need timer-people at all...hehe.
It cannot be accurate enough for a contest setting. When heat rankings are within a couple of seconds there is no way a pilot can catch the glider, stop the time and execute a turn around.

Not to take away from a very cool app but the need for timers in a competition is not going away any time soon. Plus the working relationships, teams and friends that develop (not in that order) on the field are part of the draw.

Respectfully
Jun 13, 2011, 10:11 AM
Full disclosure, not sponsored
Yep, I would want a dedicated timer in a contest where it really mattered.

But...... for self practice and our local contest, this is priceless. Our local contest could be done in 1/2 the time w/o timers, which is huge, as alot of us cant spare an entire day for local contest, and they seem to take a long time, even if we only do 3 task.

For local contest the total time required at the field is way more important than an exact task time that is perfect....

I am beating the creator of this app by such a wide margin at our local contest that a few seconds here and there wont make a difference in either of our standings....
Jun 13, 2011, 10:23 AM
Mike M.
I have to agree with finch and ShadowFalken. The app is a fantastic practice tool! But I have no desire for it to replace timers/callers in any contest, even our little monthly mini ones. Yes, we could fly more tasks in less time; but the fun, camaraderie, and learning opportunities would dwindle. DLG competitions just wouldn't have the same appeal for me without that mix.

We could speed up our contests a lot by sticking to a schedule. If everybody showed up a little early and were ready to start on time, and we created a task playlist and let it run without pausing; we could complete them in half the time. But then again we don't want to rush everybody and reduce the social and educational aspects... I think the right thing to do is whatever is the most FUN, and what everybody enjoys the most. The number of rounds and points is insignificant, although it adds to the fun. But everyone self-timing with machines would definitely not be as fun.
Last edited by like.2.fly; Jun 13, 2011 at 10:29 AM.
Jun 13, 2011, 11:17 AM
Kyle Clayton
Great app! I dont need to download any sound files now to go practice. Awesome.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jun 13, 2011, 11:18 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
The app can help, not replace the timer person in a comp. It enables them to just concentrate on the sky to help their pilot.

The app has a manual mode for this type of situation. No motion launch or click (can be turned off)

As far as accuracy, it will be very accurate - as accurate as your phones time.
As far as ease, there is less that can go wrong when you do not need to write down times while on the field and battle with different buttons on a normal timer.

Anyway, it is a tool to help you practice and a tool to help your timer time for you.
Jun 13, 2011, 04:22 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
Adrian, great job on the app! I've finally gotten a moment to sift through the forums again, and wanted to add my thanks for all the time and effort you've put into this project.
Jun 13, 2011, 06:20 PM
Really nice! The g-activated start is such a neat idea :-)

Jony
Jun 13, 2011, 11:46 PM
Ggoing out today to play with it, cant believe Iv got one up on my iphone buddies, a rare moment ! Can you explain the talking bit please, does this part of the app means it counts the seconds of the flight, or just flight, window, target and extra times etc., do i need to have sound on to hear speech, if so can I lower its volume ( bit loud for me ) Being an often lone dlger this app will give me a bit of a 'buddy' feeling, looking forward to today.
Jun 14, 2011, 12:05 AM
Limbo with 30,000V...
The 'talking bit' can be adjusted in all sorts of ways. It by default will call out everything (window time, extra time, overflown time, task time, etc.) You do need to have sound on and the text to speech turned on as well. Adjust the volume as you see fit.

From the first window:
open "More Settings"
then "Speech Settings"

and adjust the settings here.
Jun 14, 2011, 12:27 AM
A different attitude to RC
Thread OP
Thanks for helping Jim!

Under the Speech Settings, you can edit which seconds are called out.

You can use the volume buttons as follows:
- Adjust the speech volume at any time while in the app,
- Tones (dtmf) volume when it is making the continuous tone (except while it is talking!).

Also of note,
- Pressing the back button will cancel launch wait (when it is making the continuous tone) - useful if you are using launch wait on landing.
- To cancel a mistaken launch, just click within two seconds and it considers it an invalid flight.

Quick Reply