Jul 29, 2019, 12:40 PM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Thread OP
Oh, also in our non-contest, due to lack of pilots, we self timed man-on-man one group all up last down with the ALES/F5J rules I spoke of in the previous post. However, to reduce the possibility of being up all day on one flight when two pilots were left then one of the pilots who landed early just gave a two minute countdown for the last two pilots. Then whoever got the most flight time we scored/normalized off that. Worked pretty good.

Curtis
to remove ads between posts
Aug 17, 2019, 09:03 AM
Helena ALES Monthly Contest - August 24th

As usual, the contest will be at Wayne's farm on Eames Lane off Canyon Ferry Rd. Pilot's meeting at 9:00, please be ready to fly prior to the pilot's meeting. Flight format: Modified ALES - launched and timed like in ALES. You do lose points going over the time but you do keep your landing points. We have added a height point reduction just like F5J. You can use your CAM to launch from 200m, 150m or 100m. There is a $5 fee for anyone who has reached their 18th Birthday for field rental.

CD - Hal Aasen 431-3435
Last edited by Hal A; Aug 17, 2019 at 12:51 PM. Reason: Additional information added
Aug 17, 2019, 03:54 PM

Helena

Snaque and I will be there. I plan to drive up Friday morning and do some practice flights on Friday.

Ford
Aug 23, 2019, 07:59 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Thread OP
Stay dry today Ford, weather looks better as the day goes on and really good for tomorrow!
Curtis
Aug 23, 2019, 08:57 AM
Plan to arrive at Wayne's after lunch. See you soon.
Aug 25, 2019, 07:35 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Thread OP

August Contest Results

Thanks to Hal for running a very nice contest!
His weather order was perfect too, especially for August!

It was cloudy and mainly calm to start, temperatures were in the 60's for the majority of the contest.
We flew a modified ALES with a height penalty like F5J.
The first couple rounds were just hang out and hope to eek out the time. Then I recall a round where I have no idea how I stayed aloft or climbed but I just flew around and that was that. Then the next round there was lift but it was very small and tight thermals, even up high and moving quickly! Then the wind shifted and started to blow a bit on the ground so we called it a day after five rounds.

We have two more contests for the season to determine the winners and currently we have three that have flown the requisite five contests and four more that can make the five contest minimum.

All the results can be found here:
http://tailwindgliders.com/ALES.html
Next contest is in Billings (Columbus, MT) the 14th of September.
Next Helena contest is the 28th of September. CD Volunteer??
Aug 25, 2019, 07:48 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Thread OP
So we're getting small numbers at the contests recently and I think we need to think about self timing via our transmitters.
I would guess that everyone has a transmitter that can do this easily with a little programming.
This way we can fly one Group.
So like yesterday we had to go out there 10 times to fly five Rounds If self timing we could only go out to the line 6 times and have flown more rounds.

I think for the Futaba transmitter I can program the timer to start when the motor starts then make a second switch to stop that after landing. It may be a second or two off from an actual timer but shouldn't make a difference in the overall results.

What do you folks think? The negative is that we lose a bit of camaraderie when having a timer/caller and that person being able to point out who is going up or down elsewhere in the sky?

Any other clubs have experience with self timing and would share their experiences?

Curtis
Aug 25, 2019, 12:39 PM
Camber down and screw it up.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curtis Suter
So we're getting small numbers at the contests recently and I think we need to think about self timing via our transmitters.
I would guess that everyone has a transmitter that can do this easily with a little programming.
The only issue I can think of is the audible voice count down to zero. I can set count up or down timers on my Spektrum DX9, but I don't know about playing the voice files every second during the last 20-30 sec. of the flight. Also, the timer needs to start counting up after it has counted down to zero, so if you're late, you can see how many seconds over you were. Unlike F5J, in ALES any time over the task time gets subtracted from your time. e.g. 10 minutes = 600 points (60 sec. * 10), but 10:05 gets 595 points (600 * 10)-5, (same as 9:55). Guess I'll play around with my TX and see what I can come up with.

--
Greg
Last edited by gdouglas; Aug 25, 2019 at 04:01 PM. Reason: clarification of voice count down
Aug 25, 2019, 03:36 PM
For the math challenged (me) I kind of like this one.
https://www.amazon.ca/gp/product/B00...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

We confirmed it will indicate the 'time over' set time when the stop button is clicked. It counts up or down & easy to enter any new task time. Only downside is you would need to mount to your TX or have easy accessibility to stop the clock when you touch down, when probably both hands still occupied on the sticks right at that moment. I have my TX timer switch on RHS where I can flick it with my pinky while still holding the sticks finger mode. I think it stops & remains at zero when time has elapsed, I haven't checked if there are other options. You could pre-set to another nominal minute (like 11:00 on 10 min task) & then subtract to get duration including overage, but gets kind of complicated.
Sep 15, 2019, 09:39 AM
Red Merle SJ VIII
Thread OP
Two more contests for the season to go in Helena.
The next up is Sept 28th.

I was looking at the long range forecast and it looks very promising. I was thinking that September can be really very nice weatherwise that maybe we should make this like a one all-day contest. In other words run the day a bit longer. Say last flight at 3 or 4pm.

I'm happy to be the CD, well it's really just inputting scores but that we could run the modified ALES/F5J, start with a pilots meeting at 9:30am. Just make it a leisurely day of flying. We could take an hour or so for a BBQ lunch, I'll bring the dogs, buns and grill, sans staple. Other's could volunteer to bring sides.

Thoughts?
Sure would be nice to spend the day soaring together.

Curtis

Quick Reply