Aug 26, 2003, 09:17 AM
Thread OP
Question

How much do you have to shape a leading edge kit?

I love those planes, but I am not so hot on the shapping part of it. I never could whittle either. If I don't have to shape it much, the rest is doable for me.

I'd like an ME-109 or a P-51D, but don't want to shell out the bucks to ruin it.

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Aug 26, 2003, 09:57 AM
That friggin Laird Guy
It's like nearly every other PSS foamie. You get a profile with square edges. The P-51 is a little easier to shape since it has a clear canopy. All you do is round the top of the fuse, make the spinner round and sand a little radius into the bottom of the fuse. The P-51 is really pretty easy to shape since the real plane is very flat on three of the four sides. The Me-109 kit is a little more difficult to shape properly. The kits do come with profile templates so you can get the shape correct. There are about 6 of them that you cut out so you can check the shape at various locations along the fuse. Almost idiot-proof

TFLG
Aug 26, 2003, 10:13 AM
No fuse too fat
Quote:
Originally posted by TFLG
Almost idiot-proof
When I was in the Navy we prefered to say, "Sailor proof".

Russ.
Aug 26, 2003, 10:17 AM
VTPR & Slope Aerobatics
Try drawing guide lines along the center of mass on the top, sides, and bottom of the fuse before shaping. This really seemed to help me when I was shaping my mini Patton, and I think it turned out OK

During shaping:

After shaping:

The LEG plane should go the same, or easier as TFLG noted since it comes with a clear canopy.
Aug 26, 2003, 10:55 AM
Moderatee buncha places
I think it is a lot more intemedating than it really actualy is (like landing at Pt. Fermin: ) Once you sit down with a sharp blade and (I like to have a picture in front of me of what I am trying to shape) commit it will come out nicely. I cant remember seeing one of L.E.G.'s p-51s or me-109s flying around looking terribaly out of shape.

Good Luck
Kevin
Aug 26, 2003, 11:21 AM
...and even if you hack it and end up with the most God awful looking fuse, it will still fly great.
Aug 26, 2003, 11:58 AM
Thread OP
Cool, maybe I'll try one next month I've got about 5 planes on the work bench or in the mail waiting to be built.
Aug 26, 2003, 12:41 PM
Der Haifisch!! R.I.P.
I would just like to say that nothing is sailor proof...... lol *Sings* Off we go into the wild blue yonder.........

Americas Air Force,
No one comes close.
BD
Aug 26, 2003, 01:03 PM
That friggin Laird Guy
Yea, we design stuff for ships and subs here where I work. you would not believe what we have to do to try and make stuff "sailor proof". We have to design everything assuming some idiot is going to try and kill himself with it. Every wonder why them toilet seats cost $500. Heck I'm amazed they are that cheap!

TFLG

Quick Reply