Jun 09, 2011, 01:12 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Discussion

X5J eXtreme June 25th,26th Signup.FAI sampling F5J

News: Same rules as 2010 except SOR rounds have been reduced to 5 minutes

TO ENTER, please post to this thread your ship and power train information, before the days of the contest. During the day of the contest post your scores.
You may fly any or all of the classes below. In general, all classes use flight time - motor time and up to 30 points for landing.

The goal has been to minimize the rules to stress a Unlimited nature for these events, so everyone with an electric sailplane will have an airframe and motor that will meet the rule requirements.

TASK: Fly three 10minutes rounds unlimited and 5 minute rounds in SOR, using only thermal updrafts with an electric motor powered sailplane.

X5J eXtreme UNLIMITED rules:
1. Any airframe, motor, battery, ESC, and prop maybe used.
2. Flight time has motor run time subtracted from it.
3. 30point landing tape, in 1 meter increments worth 3pts/m

X5J eXtreme SOR rules:

1. Any airframe, battery, ESC, prop, motor with 28mm diameter and 17mm
magnet bell length or less.
2. Flight time has motor run time subtracted from it.
3. 30 point landing tape, in 1 meter increments worth 3 pts/m.

]

General Rules:

1. Any part of the airframe maybe used to determine max. landing points.
2. Round motor and flight times to closest second.
3. Motor must be running at launch.
4. Each second of flight time is one point, seconds greater than 10minutes are subtracted.
5. First and additional motor runs, one point per second, loss of landing points on second motor run.

FAI F5J generalized

TASK: Fly three 10minutes rounds, using only thermal updrafts with an electric motor powered sailplane.

1. Any airframe, battery, ESC, prop, motor maybe used. To FAI limits.
2. 10:00 minute window, with flight points starting on launch. Over flying window 0 landing points.
3. A device to record flight starting height, after a 30s or less motor run, at the beginning of the window. To establish starting height fly level for 10s after motor run.
4. .5pts subtracted for each meter of starting height, 3pts subtracted for each meter above 200M, from possible 10minute flight time ((600pts or number of flight seconds) - (starting height(.5 or/and 3))).
5. Same landing tape but 5pts per meter with 50pt possible. Landing points will just be added on since you are not flying in a group to normalize scores.

This event is to establish a general data base and look at different recorded flights to see if there are any concerns on determining starting height.

If you look at these rules you can fly any e sailplane with a logger.

Example: flight time 9:58 seconds, starting height from logger 156M,, 1.5m from end of tape.
598-(156*.5) + 45 = 565pts

X5J using starting height as the negative value instead of motor run time.

Hope you can joins us for the fun.

The Best Soaring

Robert
Last edited by Robert Burson; Jun 09, 2011 at 10:49 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2011, 07:42 PM
Are there any commercially available devices to support the F5J ruleset? Or will a vario and a logger be sufficient?
tk
Jun 09, 2011, 09:59 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
TK

Just wanted to use a regular logger, which is all that I have. I am assuming, the horizonal segment right after the diagonal climb phase will be used by most people.

Robert
Jun 10, 2011, 02:07 AM
tender
Quote:
Originally Posted by tkallev
Are there any commercially available devices to support the F5J ruleset? Or will a vario and a logger be sufficient?
tk
I can send you UNOFFICIAL FAI-F5J friendly FirmWare for RC-ALTI2 devices.
Here you can see how it works: http://www.rivamodels.sk/F5J-FAI/F5J-FAI_06.html

Palo
Jun 10, 2011, 06:58 AM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tender
I can send you UNOFFICIAL FAI-F5J friendly FirmWare for RC-ALTI2 devices.
Here you can see how it works: http://www.rivamodels.sk/F5J-FAI/F5J-FAI_06.html

Palo
Hello Palo
Why is not the software (unofficial FAI F5J) downloadable from RC-electronics website so that everyone can try it? I would also like to test the software.
Do you know when an approved altimeter will be available?

/Ville
Jun 10, 2011, 07:10 AM
tender
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku
Why is not the software (unofficial FAI F5J) downloadable from RC-electronics website so that everyone can try it? I would also like to test the software.Do you know when an approved altimeter will be available? /Ville
Ville, I have the same question as you... Iīm not the producer, so I canīt tell you why But I think, firmware isnīt complete finished...
Now you can read FAI-max by RC-card immediately after landing, but you donīt see marker for FAI-max in the graph and FAI-alti value in the table.

Palo

P.S.: Will be nice meet you in our FAI-F5J this Summer. First in Dubnica - August 7th and four days later in Trnava - August 11/12nd
Jun 10, 2011, 09:03 AM
mostly gliders
Quote:
Originally Posted by tender
Ville, I have the same question as you... Iīm not the producer, so I canīt tell you why But I think, firmware isnīt complete finished...
Now you can read FAI-max by RC-card immediately after landing, but you donīt see marker for FAI-max in the graph and FAI-alti value in the table.

Palo

P.S.: Will be nice meet you in our FAI-F5J this Summer. First in Dubnica - August 7th and four days later in Trnava - August 11/12nd
Palo, ok thank you. I have placed an order for a RC FXJ Programming Card from RC-Electronics. Hope it will not be obsolete for the new F5J.

Robert, thank you for arranging FAI F5J generalized. I am in.

/Ville
Jun 10, 2011, 09:33 AM
tender
Quote:
Originally Posted by liukku
I have placed an order for a RC FXJ Programming Card from RC-Electronics. Hope it will not be obsolete for the new F5J./Ville
No problem... you can put new firmware to your RC-card at any time.
Here is card adapter >>>
http://www.rivamodels.sk/PPP/workshop/workshop08.html

Palo
Jun 14, 2011, 11:14 PM
The Mr. Rogers of RC soaring
I'll be out of town, probably can't enter this month. But just in case I would either fly e allegro or cDRom glider in SOR and I'd like to try the f5j too sometime.
Latest blog entry: Supergee wing mount pylons
Jun 15, 2011, 04:06 AM
I may be able to fly on Sunday. I'm in with my Art Hobby Hi Aspect, Hacker B40/9L 4.4:1 15x10 3sNeu3600.
-Eric
Jun 16, 2011, 08:35 PM

Sor

Regarding FAI F5J generalized

10 minutes SOR?
5 minutes SOR?
No SOR?

All the best,

Luis
Jun 16, 2011, 08:39 PM
I’m in for the June event.

I'll fly an Art Hobby e-sailplane in the range from 1.9 - 3.1 M. I'll most likely fly my 2M Andromeda, which is powered by a Mega 16/15/5 direct drive to a 9x5 prop and a 3S lipo. All of my flying options qualify for the "unlimited" category.

I’ll also try some runs under the FAI F5J generalized rules. I do not have an altitude recording device, but I do have a height limiter that will cut-out at 50, 100 or 200 m. If that is an acceptable device, then I’ll just use one of those (100 m or 200 m) cut-offs.

FF
Jun 16, 2011, 08:54 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis Moya
Regarding FAI F5J generalized

10 minutes SOR?
5 minutes SOR?
No SOR?

All the best,

Luis
Luis

The rules for X5J are still the same Unlimited 10min. SOR 5min. 3 flights.

The FAI F5J rules are a generalized version of what is being considered for 2012. Everything is almost the same for scoring except you subtract points based on starting height not motor run time. Same landing tape but 5pts/m instead of 3pts/m for 10m long tapes. The first 30sec of the 10minute flight time are free. The nasty part is over fly the 10minute window no landing pts.
No motor restarts. And you need some way to record your starting height.

The Best

Robert
Jun 17, 2011, 01:43 PM
Robert,

Are we supposed to fly one set of three flights and process it differently for X5J and F5J, or can we have one set of 3 flights for X5J and another set for F5J?

Thanks,
Jan
Jun 17, 2011, 07:26 PM
AZ Outback
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DingoII
Robert,

Are we supposed to fly one set of three flights and process it differently for X5J and F5J, or can we have one set of 3 flights for X5J and another set for F5J?

Thanks,
Jan
Your choice Jan. I think you will find the FAI numbers to be a little shocking compared to the X5J. 15s of motor in X5J will only give you 30m of height in F5J.

Something I am considering is to fly all three of the FAI F5J flights then download the results to do the scoring. A logger, countdown timer, and landing tape should handle everything if you have to fly alone.

The Best

Robert

Quick Reply