Jun 09, 2011, 10:11 AM
Multi-Rotor Pilot
Thread OP
Discussion

Hands on Review - Foxtech AIO BASIC Goggles

Hello everyone,

Well I received my Foxtech AIO Basic Goggles about 6 days after ordering them from Foxtech Hobby, http://www.foxtechfpv.com/aio-goggles-basic-p-291.html. I took the attached photos showing how they were packaged and how they fit on my face.

The goggles themselves are surprisingly lightweight, (3.05 oz. or 86g including sunshield), and have a very nice fit to my head. The sunshield appears to be made from thin silicon which is also very lightweight and it felt very comfortable against my face. The goggles are powered from a single cell lipo that is enclosed in what they call the Power Controller. This Power Controller is a small black plastic box measuring 3" long x 1" wide x 1/2" thick . It has an on/off switch located on the center edge of the device, an audio/video input and a video output to the goggles, both located a one end of the device along with a mini USB charging input and a stereo headphone output on the opposite end of the device. There is also a volume control opposite the on/off switch. In addition there is a red LED which lights up during the charging process then turns off when charging is completed, along with a blue LED which activates when the Power Converter is switched on.

The goggles come with a 36" long, thin cable that is permanently attached to the goggles which plugs into the video output on the Power Controller. This cable carries the 4 volts of current to power the goggles along with the video signal.

There are no adjustments of any kind with these goggles except for the nose piece which can moved up or down a bit & locked into place. The color intensity, tint, brightness, contrast, sharpness, etc. are all preset at the factory. There are no adjustments for the lenses and no provision for any kind of external diopter lens to be installed. I was somewhat concerned about this when I ordered the goggles since I am far sighted and need glasses (+2.25 correction) to read, however much to my surprise I could see the image in the goggles clearly without the need for any lens correction. I am at a loss to explain this. In addition the space between each TV monitor in the goggles appeared to be set property for the space between my eyes as I had no problem seeing the two images as one large image. There is room under the sunshade to fit a pair of small frame reading glasses for those who may need them, but when I put mine on, all they did was make the image in the goggles blurry. Needless to say, I am very happy about not needing glasses to fly with these goggles.

My prior experience with video goggles was with the Vuzix A310 widescreen goggles that came out about two years ago. These AIO Basic Goggles are dramatically better in every way!

I conducted my testing of these goggles yesterday on the hottest day of the year so far. It was 97 degrees Fahrenheit in the shade. I stood out in the direct sunlight in the mid afternoon on this cloudless day and flew my drone for about 10 minutes using these goggles and I have to say that I was very impressed. The video display was very clear and very large. The sunshade worked beautifully in blocking out the sun with next to no light leakage. The goggles were very lightweight and comfortable to wear and there was NO problem with them fogging up from the heat and my perspiration.

During additional testing, the freshly charged battery in the Power Converter powered the goggles for a total of 1 hr and 55 minutes of constant use with a video feed being supplied the entire time. When the battery runs out, the display in the goggles turns off and the blue LED on the power Converter turns off. To fully recharge the battery in the Power Converter took two hours using the supplied "wall wart" type of charger.

I supplied the goggles with a composite video feed from both my Panasonic Lumix GH2 camera and my Canon Vixia HF S100 HD camcorder. In both instances the video image completely filled the goggles display screen which really does look very large in the blackness of the sunshade. The colors appeared to be accurate with plenty of intensity. The brightness, contrast and sharpness of the images was well tuned and just about where I would have set them myself if the options were available. I can't say that all of the goggles will be tuned the same, but in my case I am very happy with the factory settings.

Some people may not be totally satisfied with the following two items. One being the thin cable connecting the goggles to the Power Converter and the other being the "feel" of the sunshade. Some may consider the thin cable & the thin sunshade to be flimsy, however I believe that they were purposely designed this way to keep the weight down and to keep the comfort factor up. I see no problem with the thin cable unless you are carrying the goggles around by it. In addition, the sunshade did a fantastic job of blocking out the light and it is very pliable, lightweight and comfortable. I think that using a heavier & thicker material would be counterproductive, not to mention very hot. Personally I don't have a problem with either one of these items, but I am very careful with my equipment and don't foresee a problem with either one if they are not mistreated.

One more point on the sunshade. It is held in place by a single rubber type of "pin" on each side of the shade that "plugs" into a small hole in the actual fame of the goggles. This fit could be a bit better as the "pin" of the shade has a tendency to fall out if the goggles are turned upside down and you just have to press this "pin" back in place. This only happens to me when handling the goggles in an upside down position and not when wearing them. Once they are in place on my face, everything stays in place.
I just thought of a possible solution for this minor problem and if my idea works I'll post it at a later time.

In regard to the static & blue screen question. If you power up the goggles with no video input connected you will get the blue screen. Once the video feed is connected the blue screen instantly changed to the video picture. When I was flying out of range I got static and breakup in the picture. I never got far enough away to completely loose all signal, but my feeling is that if you are so far out of range that there is no signal at all being detected by your video receiver then you will then get the blue screen. During the short drop outs that I had during my test flights I got static & picture break up, but no blue screen.

I want to say a few words about sun "burn in". I had read on other posts about the damaging effects of the sun shining directly into the monitors of various goggles. Well these goggles are no different. During my testing in the extreme heat yesterday, as I was preparing to launch my drone, I notice that I accidently had the eyepieces of my nice new goggles pointing up toward the sun. As soon as I noticed it I moved them, but some minor damage had already been done. The sun burned a small thin crescent shaped pattern into each of the tiny monitor screens near the bottom right corner of both. When viewing a video through the goggles it is nearly unnoticeable, but beware that it can happen very quickly.

During the course of my earlier research in deciding which goggles to get I exchanged several emails with Xing Fu from Foxtech. I found him to be nice to deal with and I always received a quick response to my emails. I have suggested to him that he make spare parts available for these goggles including the Power Converter and the Sunshield. I personally would like to have a spare of both, especially the Power Converter. It is always nice to go to the flying area with an extra battery on hand for your aircraft, why not for your goggles.

In any event I took a chance buying these goggles and feel that I was lucky to have made a good decision this time. They are not for everybody, but if you don't need the head tracker or a wireless video feed, these goggles may be worth considering. My video receiver is attached to my radio transmitter tray that I fly my aircraft with. One thin video cord goes from the video receiver to the Power Converter which I slip in my pocket. Then there is only the one thin wire going from the Power Converter in my pocket to the goggles.

What I do recommend is to get an eyeglass neck strap that will attach to the ends of the arms of the goggles so you can let them hang from your neck between flights. You can even get the kind with the tightening adjustment on the band to pull the goggles tight to your head if you choose.

Well, in conclusion I can only say that I am very happy with these goggles and the image quality that they provide for me and I look forward to many hours of FPV flights with them. I hope that you have found this review to be helpful to you.

Regards,
Tom
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2011, 11:13 AM
Oopss. Oh well.
Good review write up, and congratulations on the happy purchase.

Hope to try those goggles some day.
Jun 09, 2011, 01:42 PM
Pen
Pen
FPWhat?
Great review Tom, thanks!

I had sun burn-in with my full feature AIO's and apparently, I misunderstood the cause. I thought it was caused by leaving the camera pointed at the sun. Glad I saw your warning that the cause is actually leaving the goggle screens exposed to the sun. I will be more careful from now on!

I just re-read Fu's email to me which states:

"the problem normally is caused by exposing it under strong sunlight for a long time

this problem must be avoid in the future when you fly in the field

coz the lens would concentrate the sunlight on the lcd and cause big problem

i am sorry to see this problem happening, and there is no way to fix it except replace the whole module"
Jun 09, 2011, 07:42 PM
USA: LakeGeorge, New York
Nice Review....thanks!

Is there a way to power the goggles without using the 1 cell Lipo?
Latest blog entry: My FAVORITE FPV CockPits'!!!!
Jun 10, 2011, 07:30 AM
Multi-Rotor Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rclab1
Nice Review....thanks!

Is there a way to power the goggles without using the 1 cell Lipo?
Hello Rclab1,
To answer your last question......yes I'm sure it can be done providing you are mechanically inclined and know how to solder small wires/components. The wire coming out of the goggles has a 3 conductor 2.5mm plug on it. I'm sure that there is a common ground being shared between the power supply and the video signal which would account for one of the terminal conductors of the jack. The other two are for the hot side of the power and the "hot" side of the video signal. Using a multi meter you could determine which conductor on the plug carries which signal and make up your own little Power Converter box. You could use whatever power supply/battery you wanted and just run it through a small voltage regulator to specify the voltage you want delivered to the goggles.
For me though, it would be a lot easier just to buy a second Power Converter to have on hand as a spare battery.
Tom
Jun 11, 2011, 07:23 AM
tkeeg

"""""For me though, it would be a lot easier just to buy a second Power Converter to have on hand as a spare battery.
Tom
"""""

how much is a 2nd Power converter? I know I will fly for more than 1.5hr sometimes at the flying field. Thanks :-)
Jun 11, 2011, 02:21 PM
Multi-Rotor Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
tkeeg

"""""For me though, it would be a lot easier just to buy a second Power Converter to have on hand as a spare battery.
Tom
"""""

how much is a 2nd Power converter? I know I will fly for more than 1.5hr sometimes at the flying field. Thanks :-)

Rclab1,

I don't think that Fu has them listed as an option on his website yet, but if enough people ask for them, hopefully he will stock them.

Tom
Jun 11, 2011, 09:20 PM
tkeeg....

so after 1.5 hrs of using the "basic" goggles, you have to recharge?

:-(
Jun 12, 2011, 10:31 AM
Multi-Rotor Pilot
Thread OP
Quote:
tkeeg....

so after 1.5 hrs of using the "basic" goggles, you have to recharge?

:-(
During the testing of my Basic Goggles, they functioned non-stop for 1 hour & 55 minutes then turned off when the battery level got too low. It took 2 hrs for a full recharge. They only way to get more constant "on" time is to wire up a battery with more mAh or to buy a second power conveter, which so far, is not available to purchase seperately.
Nov 13, 2011, 10:55 PM
I don't see this goggles available anymore, anybody knows if they can still be purchased? Where?

Quick Reply