Jun 09, 2011, 08:24 AM
Jack
Thread OP
Discussion

Essex Magnet Wire - Good Source?

I wanted some smaller gauge wire of decent quality and spotted this U.S. based seller "tech-fixx" on eBay:

http://tinyurl.com/6cgtlcu

He has a good feedback profile and seems to stock all gauges from 12 to 45 in the Essex brand wire. I ordered a 1/4 pound or so spool of that (32 AWG, 1300 feet) and it was a little over $11 shipped so I think the prices are fair enough for us small time wire users.

Will report back on my impressions on the wire...

Jack
to remove ads between posts
Jun 09, 2011, 09:55 AM
Fill'er Up!
You don't happen to need 30ga do you? I got about 10lb spool of Essex I would like to get rid of for cheap.
Jun 09, 2011, 11:01 AM
Jack
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattyhawk
You don't happen to need 30ga do you? I got about 10lb spool of Essex I would like to get rid of for cheap.
Is that the Solderon wire? It is coated, right? I don't need 10 pounds of it but if you want to wind 1/4 pound or so onto something I'd be glad to pay you for that and the shipping costs. I'll add it to my magnet wire collection.

PM me to work out the detail if you want to do that.

I've been upsizing the wire in most cases but also wanted to try a parallel strand wind on one motor too. That is what I got the 32 for.

Jack
Jun 09, 2011, 12:44 PM
Fill'er Up!
I really don't want to get into re-rolling, as I don't have smaller rolls to roll on to and I might damage the wire insulation.

I am interested to hear how this seller you found works out.
Jun 11, 2011, 10:39 PM
I just bought a 1/4# spool of 24g microdan wire from gobrushless.com. Insulation is supposed to be good to 300 C. I had to pull it super tight to fit all the winds (previously 26g radio shack wire). So I was worried but no shorts after winding.

The green insulation on the radio shack wire started gradually discoloring and eventually failed (shorted to stator) after ~70 flights. I'm not sure what its design temp is?

The microdan is a couple bucks more than the essex. Let us know how it works.
Jun 12, 2011, 07:31 AM
Jack
Thread OP
I like the Micro Dan wire too and it very well could be that it is a better grade of wire. I bought the Essex to get the smaller wire (MicroDan didn't offer 32 AWG) and also to see how it was.

Looking at the Essex product brochure: http://www.superioressex.com/MagnetW...taSheets.aspx#

It looks like the Essex wire is rated at 240C at the highest whereas there are other wires out there that are rated at up to 300C. But I usually start backing off when I find temps of 55-60C and magnets are not any good at anywhere near 300C so maybe all of this is a moot point.

I am kind of like you I think, I don't need better wire for higher temps, I need it more for the quality of the coatings and for how well the wire can handle the abuse I give it in doing the winding.

Essex has some entertaining reading in the very detailed and complex engineering data - http://www.superioressex.com/uploade...ook_linked.pdf

There is a ton of info there on stuff like the square wires and other things. It almost boggles the mind!

But I'll follow up here for sure. And with 1,300 feet of the wire in hand and only one motor that I want to rewind (that may demand 70 or 80 feet of wire), don't rule out the possibility that I will be willing to share it!

Jack

Quick Reply