View Poll Results: Do you think Global Warming is caused by Mankinds burning of fossil fuels?
Yes, it is caused by fossil fuels 353 38.88%
Not sure 107 11.78%
No it is not cause by fossil fuels 448 49.34%
Voters: 908. You may not vote on this poll

Dec 09, 2019, 07:56 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by Norman Adlam
It was the Romans what made us doit, guv (and waaayyy before your country existed..)

https://www.historic-uk.com/CultureU...e-on-the-left/
Quote:
In the Middle Ages you never knew who you were going to meet when travelling. Most people are right-handed, so if a stranger passed by on the right of you, your right hand would be free to use your sword if required.
Eh? That makes no sense. Just like that stairway example, your sword arm could easily be blocked by an opponent on your right.

Quote:
(Similarly, medieval castle staircases spiral in a clockwise direction going upwards, so the defending soldiers would be able to stab down around the twist but those attacking (going up the stairs) would not.)
And notice, opposite traffic on the left.

Dec 09, 2019, 08:02 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by madsci_guy
Eh? That makes no sense. Just like that stairway example, your sword arm could easily be blocked by an opponent on your right.

And notice, opposite traffic on the left.

And notice, their pokey sticks are a bit longer than a sword.

(Obviously the explanation about the use of a sword in one's sword hand is a bit complex for some to comprehend.. ).
Dec 09, 2019, 08:06 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
(Obviously the explanation about the use of a sword in one's sword hand is a bit complex for some to comprehend.. ).
Try it and see. Academics in their ivory tower.

PS the Romans tended to fight in phalanxes. But here is an individual contest.

Dec 09, 2019, 08:10 AM
Official Old Git!
Aaahhh... more 'LTUP armchair know-it-alls know far more than other educated people'!

Should have guessed that!
Dec 09, 2019, 08:12 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Aaahhh... more 'LTUP armchair know-it-alls know far more than other educated people'!

Should have guessed that!
An milligram of practical demonstration equals a tonne of academic hooey.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:19 AM
christian theme park operator
Quote:
l
PS the Romans tended to fight in phalanxes.
The last of the great historians.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:23 AM
Figure Nine Champ
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
The last of the great historians.
It's common knowledge. That and the fact that Romans built roads everywhere they went, combined to make the Roman Empire what it was, a world-conquering machine of domination.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:33 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
It's common knowledge. That and the fact that Romans built roads everywhere they went, combined to make the Roman Empire what it was, a world-conquering machine of domination.
You don't say!!

If only we here in the UK had any experience of Roman occupation...you know, like a few Roman roads within 1 mile of myself, or a complete city within a couple of miles of me, for example!

http://www.localhistories.org/winchester.html
Dec 09, 2019, 08:39 AM
christian theme park operator
Quote:
Their success had a few other ingredients beyond their infantry formations and their penchant for roads.

To Romans, the Greek word "phalanx" described a specific Greek military formation that fought in a manner different to the tactics of a Roman legion.

The defining element of a Greek phalanx is its spear hedge, formed by several of the front ranks. Roman legions distinctly did not utilise their pila in that manner, but instead threw them at the enemy before drawing their swords.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:43 AM
I hate propellors
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Sharp
Why are you telling Norm to look to his right?
I fixed it.
Dec 09, 2019, 08:49 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by emufingers
I fixed it.
Damn! I wanted to berate you myself!
Dec 09, 2019, 08:55 AM
I hate propellors
Quote:
Damn! I wanted to berate you myself!
Please berate... isn't that what LTUP is for. However, it could have been my indication that you have every right to make your observations.
Dec 09, 2019, 09:02 AM
Free my speech
The silence of the eco-lambs...

https://business.financialpost.com/o...iciously-quiet
Dec 09, 2019, 09:11 AM
Official Old Git!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BACKEMFNRG
Our petrol is basically $2.25 Canadian dollars / litre. Many of us are 'eco-lambs'.
Dec 09, 2019, 09:46 AM
Free my speech
If it goes to that price here then I’m house locked in winter.

Quick Reply