New Products Flash Sale
View Poll Results: Do you think Global Warming is caused by Mankinds burning of fossil fuels?
Yes, it is caused by fossil fuels 265 35.43%
Not sure 89 11.90%
No it is not cause by fossil fuels 394 52.67%
Voters: 748. You may not vote on this poll

Thread Tools
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:56 PM
Victory Pete is offline
Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Suspended Account
Poll

Do you think Global Warming is caused by Mankinds burning of fossil fuels?


Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
Old Jun 08, 2011, 12:59 PM
redhotpearl is offline
Find More Posts by redhotpearl
Starring as Devils Advocate
redhotpearl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
I don't think burning Fossil Fuels is helping at all if you believe the vast majority of scientists. That being said good luck with this topic, not to many science majors or even fans around here it seems.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:04 PM
debogus is offline
Find More Posts by debogus
Registered User
Michael Mann made it up, Egore is just a opportunist .

"if you believe" I believe a lot of scientist have jumped ship on that one.

East Anglia emails under the rug cause global warming

"not to many science majors or even fans around here it seems"
I'm not a big fan of scare tactic type manipulation for government funding and control.
Last edited by debogus; Jun 08, 2011 at 01:12 PM.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:09 PM
Victory Pete is offline
Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
Michael Mann made it up, Egore is just a opportunist .

"if you believe" I believe a lot of scientist have jumped ship on that one.

East Anglia emails under the rug cause global warming
I believe Egore is an opportunist, but I dont believe anyone "made it up" except Mankind itself.
VP
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:16 PM
Looooeeee! is offline
Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Heli Bouncer
Looooeeee!'s Avatar
Let's just say I don't think we can rule out entirely the influence that the extra CO2 has on recent global mean temperatures. There seems to be a certain amount of fossil record supporting this trend.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:18 PM
init4fun is offline
Find More Posts by init4fun
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
Hi Pete ,

If you look back in history , Hurricanes , Tornados , or whatever bad weather we have has always been here , , , Its just SO infrequent that when it does as much damage and gets as much attention as recently , people think its something new . Back in the 1930s there was a really ugly storm that wrecked lots of property , and also in the 1950s i think ? Dont forget to factor in the fact that such tragedys are much more public thanks to TV news , than they were in those years past , and it only seems like this is a new trend .


I think a study of the weather patterns would indicate a more cyclic nature to the incidents of bad weather , rather than an all of a sudden increase in one or another type of weather pattern .


I sure know i'd like to see a whole lot more of honest studys BEFORE another dime goes down the rathole known as "Man Made Global Warming" , , Thats for sure .......

Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:23 PM
debogus is offline
Find More Posts by debogus
Registered User
"honest studys", how would that get any funding ?
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:26 PM
Park_Flyer is offline
Find More Posts by Park_Flyer
Go big Blue!
Park_Flyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires.
Last 20 years? How about weather extremes over the last 50 years? How 'bout 100, 1,000, 20 million years? Weather extremes happen, if they didn't, the planet would be lifeless.

A deadly tornado killed nearly 100 in Mass. in the 50's - that seems a bit more extreme than the recent one.

I answered no to your poll - just in case your wondering.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:28 PM
Eljimb0 is offline
Find More Posts by Eljimb0
Suspended Account
The temperature has skyrocketed less than 1 degree F. in the last 100 years.

Since human contact (approximately 200 AD) the sea level on Oahu has dropped about 30 feet. Where I live was a sandy beach with waves. Now it is the side of a hill and the ocean is a half mile away. (and 30 feet lower).

Banker friend in Nigeria needs to give you a million dollars!
The more you buy the more you save!
Leading scientists all agree!
No salesman will call!
Press one for customer assistance!

When you hear a politician say anything, ..hold on to you wallet. When a group of them are selling you some concept that is "extremely urgent" ....run the other way as fast as you can.

This is a con job, Leading scientists don't agree about anything, ...and they certainly don't gather at the "international save the panda" headquarters to do their agreeing.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:33 PM
init4fun is offline
Find More Posts by init4fun
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by debogus View Post
"honest studys", how would that get any funding ?
Hi debogus ,


Not a bad question , , , , But like the question of wether we are or arent screwing up the weather , I'll have to leave that to the Experts in those fields . Id like to think that an honest study or two should be possible before we go creating TOO many more "Global Warming Millionaires" like fat AL . The money people , , just like the scientists , , are gonna have to take the bull by the horns and get it done right .

How can we dump $$$$ on cures for a problem that we're not even 100% sure exists ? All this crap about "carbon credits" and so fourth , , , , , Shamefull to take financial advantage of people's fears like that
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:35 PM
init4fun is offline
Find More Posts by init4fun
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Park_Flyer View Post
I answered no to your poll - just in case your wondering.
I answered "Im not sure" , , , just to have my all my bases covered ......
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:36 PM
Rufcut is offline
Find More Posts by Rufcut
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Have you noticed how extreme the weather has become in the last 20 years? Snow in Texas, Tornados in Massachusetts. Heat waves running rampant, Drought and wildfires. Just watch the news. How about how windy it is at the flying field everyday. Last year was my first year flying RC airplanes and everyday was windy, I could only get a calm flight if I went at sunup. And please dont say Al Gore made the whole thing up.
VP
I wish I knew what to believe. There do seem to be some changes in global climate, but I have a hard time believing that there is enough scientific data to draw the firm conclusion that it is caused by burning fossil fuels.
After all, scientists state with certainty that 10,000 years ago the place where I live was covered in several thousand feet of ice. It seems reasonable to conclude that there were some rather radical climate changes between then and now which resulted in current conditions. These changes occurred prior to the widespread use of fossil fuels. Therefore, since it is a certainty that vast climatic changes happened before the use of fossil fuels, it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that we are simply experiencing more of the same.
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:42 PM
init4fun is offline
Find More Posts by init4fun
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eljimb0 View Post
The temperature has skyrocketed less than 1 degree F. in the last 100 years.

Since human contact (approximately 200 AD) the sea level on Oahu has dropped about 30 feet. Where I live was a sandy beach with waves. Now it is the side of a hill and the ocean is a half mile away. (and 30 feet lower).

Banker friend in Nigeria needs to give you a million dollars!
The more you buy the more you save!
Leading scientists all agree!
No salesman will call!
Press one for customer assistance!

When you hear a politician say anything, ..hold on to you wallet. When a group of them are selling you some concept that is "extremely urgent" ....run the other way as fast as you can.

This is a con job, Leading scientists don't agree about anything, ...and they certainly don't gather at the "international save the panda" headquarters to do their agreeing.
ElJim's last two paragraphs , , , Perfect !

I wonder if Pandas taste like chikken ????
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:47 PM
Victory Pete is offline
Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufcut View Post
I wish I knew what to believe. There do seem to be some changes in global climate, but I have a hard time believing that there is enough scientific data to draw the firm conclusion that it is caused by burning fossil fuels.
After all, scientists state with certainty that 10,000 years ago the place where I live was covered in several thousand feet of ice. It seems reasonable to conclude that there were some rather radical climate changes between then and now which resulted in current conditions. These changes occurred prior to the widespread use of fossil fuels. Therefore, since it is a certainty that vast climatic changes happened before the use of fossil fuels, it doesn't seem unreasonable to believe that we are simply experiencing more of the same.
Of course climate change happens naturally, I understand the old Ice Age. But what we are talking about here is millions and millions of years worth of plant life decaying (Fossil Fuels) being burned in 1 century, there is so much more C02 in the atmosphere now, how can that be challenged?
VP
Old Jun 08, 2011, 01:53 PM
Victory Pete is offline
Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Suspended Account
I see a pattern here, even though the poll is 6/9. There only seems to be the naysayers who are very self confidently replying, interesting.
VP

PS I hear you Looooeeeee!


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Human Caused Global Warming is Offically A Religion- Earth 2100 Lightnin Life, The Universe, and Politics 29 Aug 22, 2014 12:57 AM
Discussion What do you think caused the ice ages? Bilbobaker Life, The Universe, and Politics 71 Jun 24, 2014 04:21 AM
Discussion who do you think you are? Aaron 1 Life, The Universe, and Politics 30 Feb 25, 2013 08:39 PM
Discussion Sad to be posting here. What do you think caused this? ndb8fxe Crash Discussion 8 Feb 28, 2009 10:57 PM
Discussion A complete list of things caused by global warming Viper Pilot Life, The Universe, and Politics 2 Apr 24, 2008 07:42 PM