Jan 12, 2012, 12:59 PM
Dieselized User
Is there anyone stocking the 35mm jets in the US?

Greg
to remove ads between posts
Jan 12, 2012, 03:30 PM
Greg - the long curved yellow fruit hobby shop sells them:

http://www.bananahobby.com/2224.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2158.html
http://www.bananahobby.com/2244.html

Jacques
Jan 12, 2012, 03:46 PM
Dieselized User
Thank you, Jacques.
Jan 12, 2012, 04:25 PM
CV-15 VB-16
Quote:
Originally Posted by gkamysz
Is there anyone stocking the 35mm jets in the US?

Greg
If you want to see the rest of the 35mm jets BH carries, type "nano" (w/o the quotes) in the search box, scroll down to "more results" and keep clicking to run through the entire list.

g
Jan 13, 2012, 09:42 AM
All is good wih my MIG29 all sorted now on stock setup. Flies fine,
Needed to straighten wings and tail from banana twists as delivered. Had to replace one servo went faulty so I have a 4g and a 2g servo operating the controls. Handles a bit of wind fine just need a bit more throw to pull tighter loops and faster rolls.
Landings are so easy just floats in.
Build quality is a bit disappointing such as the twists in wings and tail, servo went after 3 flights while trying to sort out trim, looks like one fan not quite straight but does not seem to effect thrust..... but for the price cant complain. Does need a lot of throw especially for elevator.
Jan 13, 2012, 11:29 AM
I maidened the F-18 I picked up in parts form. Bought the airframe from HK, picked up the stock motor, esc and servos here on the forum. Basically it's what you would get if you bought the receiver ready version. Gens ace 450 mAh 2s lipo and orange micro 2.4 rx. I had to set it pretty nose heavy compared to other F-18s I have, It looks like the fuselage extensions are curved to add lift sort of like a canard would do. Several failed launches forced me to move the CG forward. Now it flys relatively well. I flew it in 5 mph winds, and it did fine but there is a little adverse yaw. I likes to turn right better than left, I think the is a little rudder tuning needed. It doesn't fly slow real well, then again it's not really a feather weight. I could see where 3s might give it a little more punch, I think i'm going to leave it alone for the moment and try to tweak it some before turning up the power.

F-18
Stock motor
Stock 5 blade fan
Stock ESC
Stock servos
Orange 2.4 rx
Gens Ace 2s 450 mAh 25C

118g AUW.
I Could probably shed 3g worth of magnets, 1 g of wire and another gram of foam and hardware. So I believe that an AUW of 112g would be very flyable on 2s.
Last edited by Joe 1320; Jan 13, 2012 at 12:29 PM.
Jan 13, 2012, 05:31 PM
Just a warning for you guys. I ordered the Buffalo 600mah 2 cell packs from okhobby.com December 5th and have not received them. All emails and a recently elevated paypal claim have gone unanswered. Hopefully paypal will refund my money (only $36 so not the end of the world or anything).

I have since ordered some more pairs of the 370 mah 2s nano tech packs form hobbyking instead. Those have worked out really well in the A-10.

scott.
Jan 14, 2012, 08:43 AM
How close are those trees?
Quote:
Originally Posted by GuppyG
Just a warning for you guys. I ordered the Buffalo 600mah 2 cell packs from okhobby.com December 5th and have not received them. All emails and a recently elevated paypal claim have gone unanswered. Hopefully paypal will refund my money (only $36 so not the end of the world or anything).

I have since ordered some more pairs of the 370 mah 2s nano tech packs form hobbyking instead. Those have worked out really well in the A-10.

scott.
I ordered a couple of the same lipos back in November and also a no show.

I put a complaint in with them but no response. I will check tonight if its too late for a paypal claim.
Jan 14, 2012, 09:37 AM
I received my Mig-29 from Hobbyking yesterday, it's together and ready to fly - now I'm waiting for the wind to die down.

Mine came undamaged - no major bends in the foam or anything. I'm planning to fly mine with Turnigy 500mAh 2S 20-30C batteries, some test runs show some good thrust from those. We'll see how it flies before I start planning any upgrades to 3S!

I've got some video of the box opening, and I'll try to capture the first few flights on video as well.
Latest blog entry: Crash Compilation
Jan 15, 2012, 10:19 AM
Well, the wind was calmish - or at least calmer than yesterday so I decided to go outside and maiden the Mig-29 this morning. The weather was around -20C, so it was very appropriate for the maiden of a Russian plane. Stock CG, extra elevator throw and stock aileron throw. A nice, firm toss at about 15 degrees up and the plane climbed away very nicely. A bit of a roll to the right, I added eleven clicks of left trim to get it to fly straight. I'm not surprised about that, there is a lot of slop in the tiny control surfaces so it's hard to get them set neutral. No elevator trim, although I'll re-visit that next flight - I may have been compensating without noticing.

Overall, it flew fairly well! It was a bit windy and it seemed to handle that well enough. At anything about 2/3 throttle, the control response was good but definitely not snappy. As the model slowed down the controls became downright ineffective. The 2S power system provided enough oomph for a decent climb, but when I wanted to level off the elevators couldn't do it alone - I had to bring the power back to get the nose drop, then put the power back before I had solid control authority. I think I'll add some aileron throw to help the tiny elevators out.

Landing wasn't much of an issue, except that getting the model to descend wasn't as easy as I thought it would be - she really wants to fly! Especially since I had a stiff wind to turn into - my airspeed was generally too high turning upwind for a proper descent. The landing was nice, I got the nose up and she settled into the snow crust gently. Once the nose was up I don't think I had much control - if a wing was low I'm sure it would stay there.

Overall, a good maiden flight! I think that it will fly well with the extra aileron throw, and the possibility for thrust vectoring is very tempting - the plane is just set up for it.

I did get some video, unfortunately it will be later in the week before I have proper internet access where I can upload the video to YouTube.
Jan 15, 2012, 12:02 PM
Remaiden test hop video for the F-18

JPower F-18 35mm test flight (1 min 21 sec)
Jan 15, 2012, 12:20 PM
Here are some photos from the video of the maiden flight:

Just after take-off:

Jan 15, 2012, 02:47 PM
Looks like a nice little bird! Also looks rather wintery out there!
Jan 15, 2012, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by vonJaerschky
Looks like a nice little bird! Also looks rather wintery out there!
It was -20C when I flew the model. THAT is my level of dedication. And boredom.
Jan 15, 2012, 08:34 PM
-20C? How did the batteries hold up?

Quick Reply