Jun 07, 2011, 12:10 PM
Southern Pride
Discussion

Billowy 60C (?) 3S 2600

Thread on 50C 2200 Billowy here

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...68&postcount=1

First post of that thread has a link to the vendor.

I hope to get a set of leads attached to a single cell in this battery and continue with higher amp. discharges very soon.

It has decided to stop raining here (only 1.1" in May) and as I have planted a lot of new shrubs and trees this year a lot of my time is being spent watering which is not exactly my favorite past time. Most years I run my pumping station 40 to 60 hours from April - Sept. This year 47 hours in the past 4 weeks.

6-8-2011 Added 50-120A Dsc. graph of single cell. Note cell is still part of original 3S battery but I added 5" 10gage leads to cell #3.

6-9-11 Added graph with addational 50A discharges.

Charles
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 09, 2011 at 05:25 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 07, 2011, 12:16 PM
Charles,

You appear to have omitted the 156A plot!

Wayne
Jun 07, 2011, 01:09 PM
Looks pretty good. Only concern is that they're getting a little toasty (140F) at ~19-20C discharge. 60C will obviously require significant external cooling for them to survive to see another day. Even then I would not expect to get too many cycles.

Mark
Jun 07, 2011, 02:14 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayne Giles
Charles,

You appear to have omitted the 156A plot!

Wayne
Well I do not have a 2,000 watts discharge unit thus the need to place leads on a single cell for higher rate disdcharges and besides many of us realize that just because a cell may be rate at 50 or 60C or greater does not mean the battery with all of its' associated inter connections and power lead/ connector is capable of operating at said rated amps..

2.5 Ah X 60 min / 50 A = 3 so the 50A discharge was 3 min. in duration. Most would consider this a rather short flight.

Charles
Jun 07, 2011, 02:50 PM
Southern Pride
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrforsyth
Looks pretty good. Only concern is that they're getting a little toasty (140F) at ~19-20C discharge. 60C will obviously require significant external cooling for them to survive to see another day. Even then I would not expect to get too many cycles.

Mark
50 A for a 2600 is very close to same discharge rate as 40A for a 2200. The 2200 50C at 40 went from 85 to 135F.

Initial IR was 2.7 all 3 cell @ 78F

Charles
Jun 07, 2011, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by everydayflyer
Well I do not have a 2,000 watts discharge unit thus the need to place leads on a single cell for higher rate disdcharges and besides many of us realize that just because a cell may be rate at 50 or 60C or greater does not mean the battery with all of its' associated inter connections and power lead/ connector is capable of operating at said rated amps..

Charles
I have the capability of such a discharge but would not waste my time doing it - I am sure you are aware that I was just making the point that the 60C rating is a joke.

Wayne
Jun 08, 2011, 12:34 AM
just look at it smokin'
Quote:
I have the capability of such a discharge but would not waste my time doing it - I am sure you are aware that I was just making the point that the 60C rating is a joke.

Wayne
For plane flying - yes (:

Z
Jun 08, 2011, 04:34 PM
Southern Pride
50-120 A. dsc of single cell added to post #1
Last edited by everydayflyer; Jun 08, 2011 at 08:58 PM.
Jun 09, 2011, 07:28 AM
They are not listed on their web yet.
http://www.billowy-battery.com/#Menu=ChildMenu1
Is this some sample or should it be soon available on the market?
Jun 09, 2011, 10:07 AM
Southern Pride
Yes they are sample in that the vendor obtained some for testing. I do not know if he will deside to carry these 60C (?)s or not. The Billowy 40 and 50C ones he carries have done extremely well and all who have ordered them have been pleased. That was the main reason I provided a link to the 50C thread.

As myself and others have ststed in the past the C race is amusing in some ways. A 60C discharge is less than a one minute flight. There are a few flyers who need extremely high C capable burst but extremely few who really need more than a true 20C constsnt and a 40C burst. LiPolys have reached the point where while an indivual cell may be capable of 60C the standard RC Hobby grade assembled battery is not capacble of such high sustained discharge rates.

Some like to use 50 or 60C ones as they tend to provide more volts under load(less sag) and stay cooler when operated at a more reasonable level such as 20C than most 30 or 40C rated ones will.

Charles
Jun 09, 2011, 10:19 AM
Space Coast USA
I think I would have chosen a different name.

Definition:
billowy - characterized by great swelling
Jun 09, 2011, 10:31 AM
Charles: yes, what i want is less voltage sag in load (short spikes of 40-45C) because my gearing can benefit from that.
And low battery temp, since discharged pack goes to charger 2-3 minutes after flight and can I charge it 3-5C.
So i am interested if they will carry a new product line.

Hoppy: yes, this was mentioned several times.
It seems it is not true, though. Probably translation mistake or maybe name of the owner?
Jun 09, 2011, 11:13 AM
Space Coast USA
jointer,

Very possible, 'billowy' translated to Chinese and back to English yielded 'turbulent'.
Billowy Power Ltd - http://www.alibaba.com/member/hk107358992.html
From their website,
"Contract Manufacturing: OEM Service Offered Buyer Label Offered "
We already may be using these under a different label.
Jun 09, 2011, 02:36 PM
Quote:

Wayne
Charles,
Perhaps I was jumping the gun; the 120A plot looks pretty impressive, so perhaps they are a genuine 45 or 50C cell which I have never seen. The highest genuine "C" rating I have proven is a 40C. Having seen such a high percentage of lipos fail to meet their claimed "C" rating, it must have made me cynical!
I agree with your comments that they do not actually need to be better as a genuine 20 -25C with a genuine 40C surge rating is more than adequate for over 99% of applications.

Interestingly if you look at the instant voltage drop at the very start of the 120A plot and calculate the IR from that it comes out to about 2.6milliohms which is in agreement with your reading.

Wayne
Jun 09, 2011, 07:52 PM
Rocky Mountain High

We already may be using these under a different label

I agree Billowy could have chosen a better name in conjuction with the production of li-poly batteries, but I do not own the company. Maybe some day a name change will come.

Yes, Billow Power Ltd has been manufacturing batteries for some major European labels. Billowy contacted us about helping them introduce their line into the U.S. market. Due to various contracts; Billowy will not reveal these labels. I respect their position on this issue.

The C race is getting out of hand. Billowy shipped these 60C? for testing by Charles. What will the result be - I do not know - time will tell.

Quick Reply