This thread is privately moderated by Sandancer, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 06, 2011, 10:13 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Build Log

~My Squadron of Pilots!~

This is my Squadron of Pilots.

=======================================
UP-DATE 4/23/2013: A new pilot arrived today and he's taken up space in the barracks!

He's the 1/8 scale WWII *U.S. Marine/Navy Full-Figured pilot out of the stables of Scale Pilots USA. He's a perfect scale fit in both the FMS P-51 "B" & "D" cockpits, although some foam will need to be removed from the "B's" forward section to clear his nicely detailed boots.

*Matt painted this one for me in the Marine/Navy livery, but he can be painted in whatever livery you choose.

=======================================
Early on during my build of the FMS V3 P-51 apply named "Auntie Samantha" I felt uneasy about disgracing her with such a gaudy looking pilot! One reference was made that he resembled something out of "Avatar". I thought he looked like something out of Disney, so I named him "Goofie"! A name that has stuck ever since!

On my quest to find a suitable replacement for "Goofie" I came across the ESM 1/7 scale WWII Pilots.*NOTE* TroyBuiltModels list them as 1/6 scale, but they are the same dimensions: 74mmW x 73mmH. For the P-51 I chose the ESM WWII British Pilot. For the P-47, and the Corsiar, I decided to slide the ESM WWII American Pilotin the seats of both of them. I also took possession of the ESM WWII German Pilot, but have yet to place him in anything?

During my build of the Starmax 63" P-51 I initially was going to have the ESM WWII British Pilot man the controls, but after seeing a post by Todd B./Aros displaying his WWII Pilot from Aces of Iron with the Greg Pierson custom paint job, it was an easy decision for me to change directions and go with the Aces of Iron WWII American Pilot.

I subsequently ordered the Aces of Iron WWII Luftwaffe Pilot thinking I would use him in the Stuka, but after receiving the plane (I got the egg before the chicken) it was apparent he wasn't going to fit the seat of the Stuka. So for now he sits here adoring my computer with that incredible, scary, scowl on his face.

For the new FMS T-28 Trojan I am handing the piloting chores to the Aces of Iron Civilian Sports Pilot. After conferring with Greg Pierson, he assured me he could come up with a perfect match for an Air Force Pilot, and he certainly did another great job duplicating his appearance to an Air Force pilot dressed in the Olive Drab flight suit.! All I had to do is add the boom mic and he is ready to take control of the Trojan.

I must say, Greg's talents are awesome! You can contact Greg at: piersonspilots@yahoo.com NOTE: See his attached business card info.

For those who, unlike myself, have the patience and ability to bring your pilots to life with some really kewl painting, I offer a couple of really informitive guides to such endeavors in the attached PDF's below.

UP-Date 6/25/2011: Auntie Samantha's country cousin' Daisy is lookin' for a ride!

UP-DATE 7/18/2011: I received my newest additions to the Squadron Crew back from Greg's studio today!

The T-28's Co-Pilot seat has now been filled!
Because I didn't want a set of "twins" piloting the Trojan, I asked Greg to change the second pilot up a bit so there would be some differentiation between the two without changing the OD flight suits. Although subtle, his changes gave both pilots their own identity. A change in sunglasses, the added mustache...somehow he managed to change the facial characteristics just enough to do the trick! Simple amazing Greg!

I also sent him the Pete's Pilot WWII USAAF to see what magic he could spin with this burly dude, and once again he came thru with another masterpiece including the dude's crooked teeth.
I am planning on letting him taking over the seat in the Corsair. Right now he is sharing the display case with the AIO WWII Luftwaffe pilot for the time being.

UP-DATE 11/18/2011: Welllll.......after a brief absence from the RC community this summer, I have returned, and I wanted to up-date my Pilot's Squadron.

While I was in the hospital, Greg P. finished up with my Pete's Pilot 1/8 scale "WWII Japanese pilot" I had gotten for my impending "Zero" project. He was also able to finish up with the 1/8 scale AOI "WWII U.S. pilot" I plan to seat in either the P-51 or the Corsair? He was able to finish them up for me upon his return from "Bomber Field" in Sept. Because of my situation, I was not able to view these masterpieces until I returned home a couple of weeks ago, and once again, I was pleased with both.

He managed to capture the angered expression in the face of the Japanese pilot so strikingly it's almost scary! The 1/8 scale WWII U.S. pilot was a carbon copy of the 1/7 scale pilot he did for my Starmax P-51 earlier this year.
NOW, with the impending release of the new FMS 1700mm P-51, it looks like I'll be ordering either another 1/7 scale, or possibly a 1/5 scale WWII pilot from Aces of Iron?
**Greg also sent me some pics of some of his other pilots he has done, including a couple of pics of his inventory of pilots he was painting for his trip to "Bomber Field" back in Sept.**

UP-DATE 1/30/2012:
My latest addition to the Squadron is the 1/8 scale WWII NAVY pilot from the studios of Scale Pilots USA. Fortunately for us, Matt (formally/foamie4life, now MPS86) is one of our cohorts here on RCG, and he's putting out some really nice work! This dude's going to take over the seat in my Marines Dream Corsair.

The detailing in the facial features is incredible. From the wrinkles in his jaw area, to the scowl between the eyebrows, nice work Matt!

As soon as the NAVY dude arrived I immediately shipped him off to New Mexico so Greg could, once again, apply his mastery! I didn't detect it originally, but after reviewing the pics, the flash really brought out the dude's riveting blue eyes! Greg is so good at bringing out character traits in all his work, that I had to make the comment that this guy seems to be saying "you want a piece of this, Punk....well do 'ya?"

Thanks to Matt & Greg for another masterpiece!

UP-DATE 3/02/2012 I've added new pilots to my Squadron!

First is the 1/8 scale WWII German Luftwaffe pilot. from Scale Pilots USA. *Note* This guy also comes with the Oxygen mask. Again both Matt's and Greg's detailing is impeccable as usual.

Second is the new AOI 1/6 scale Female Sports pilot. She would make an excellent pilot for the new FMS 1700mm P-51 if a little "Class" in the cockpit was in order!

Third is the Pete's Pilot 1/12 scale WWII pilot. I've had this pilot for some time now, and I thought I would send him off to Greg so he could develop
some character.

The fourth pilot is the Hobby King 1/12 scale full figure Mig-15 pilot. I got this guy because he looks like the same pilot FMS has seated in their new 1700mm 1/6 scale P-51, but there's a big difference in scale, so he's not going to work in there!

NEW VID 3/05/2012
My Squadron of Pilots (6 min 34 sec)

My Pierson Pilots.mov (1 min 50 sec)

~~~~Thumbnails~~~~
Last edited by Sandancer; May 04, 2013 at 11:19 AM. Reason: Up-Date
to remove ads between posts
Jun 20, 2011, 09:29 AM

goofy (ies)

hi gary and others guys,

Looking for a better "pilot" than supplied by FMS with the F4U Corsair, I discover the galery of the Gary WWII pilots.

Where are they coming from ?
Jun 20, 2011, 04:11 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avatar22
hi gary and others guys,

Looking for a better "pilot" than supplied by FMS with the F4U Corsair, I discover the galery of the Gary WWII pilots.

Where are they coming from ?
Just click on the blue underlined type. They are links to the source.
Jul 24, 2011, 05:02 PM
Tally Ho!
Great paintwork !!!!

KM
Dec 18, 2011, 03:23 PM
They just look incredibly real ;0)

Best regards from Berlin (Germany)
Jens
Jun 12, 2012, 10:19 AM
Hi

What is the cost for 1/8 AOI painted? DP
Jun 12, 2012, 10:44 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dai phan
Hi

What is the cost for 1/8 AOI painted? DP
Greg charges $30.00 + $5.00 s/h within the US.

Gary
Jun 13, 2012, 08:06 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandancer
Greg charges $30.00 + $5.00 s/h within the US.

Gary

That includes the pilot or just the labor cost? DP
Jun 13, 2012, 10:58 AM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by dai phan
That includes the pilot or just the labor cost? DP
No, Greg is an independent painter. The pilot is purchased from Aces of Iron for $19.95 unpainted, and Greg will paint them for $30.00.

Gary
Oct 07, 2012, 04:10 PM

1/8 scale Navy pilot

Saw some of the excellent scale pilots on this web site. Are they still available, especially the 1/8 scale Navy pilot?
Oct 14, 2012, 02:15 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ctei
Saw some of the excellent scale pilots on this web site. Are they still available, especially the 1/8 scale Navy pilot?
Yes, the 1/8 scale Navy pilot from Scale Pilots USA is still available. Because of an up-date to Matt's site the link was invalid, but it has now been corrected.

Gary
Nov 21, 2012, 04:17 PM
Always Ready!
Nice collection. It's unfortunate that Pete's Pilot is taking other people's work and reselling it as his own:

The 1/8 scale USAAF pilot is a direct rip-off of the Verlinden pilot bust kit:
http://www.internethobbies.com/verli...sts-200mm.html

As well some of the other pilot busts he sells that are "JustPilots" brand:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494732

http://www.justpilots.ca/pilot_figures.htm
Nov 24, 2012, 05:42 PM
"Auntie Samantha"
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by warhead_71
Nice collection. It's unfortunate that Pete's Pilot is taking other people's work and reselling it as his own:

The 1/8 scale USAAF pilot is a direct rip-off of the Verlinden pilot bust kit:
http://www.internethobbies.com/verli...sts-200mm.html

As well some of the other pilot busts he sells that are "JustPilots" brand:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=494732

http://www.justpilots.ca/pilot_figures.htm
Thanks Warhead for that info.

I too wasn't aware of that (I read the discussion on the "Apparent Fraud on eBay: Pete's Pilots!!!" pg.), very interesting! Then again, whenever EBay is in the equation, anything seems to go????

JustPilots is located in Canada, right? I'll get in touch with John and see if I can link to his website.

Gary
Last edited by Sandancer; Nov 24, 2012 at 08:06 PM.

Quick Reply