Sep 19, 2015, 09:31 PM
All retail is suffering when is the last time you bought a computer in a store? If you own a store already one need to do what it takes to get people in the door. Just flipping a sign to open isn't going to hack it any longer. Local hobby stores don't try to get new people interested build loyalty with your customers. The old saying that retail will be gone soon anyway is something I have heard for years. If you keep running your business how you ran it in 1986 sure it's going to fail. Times change you have to change with them figure out new ways to do it. The way to beat the internet is to get the customer to come to you for those $500-1000 RC helicopters. Chinese RC has it's issues try returning to hobbyking it's not worth it the cost of shipping is more then what you bought. I would never spend more then $100 on China. If I want to buy a $2500 Rc helicopter I won't be buying online that's for sure.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 26, 2015, 10:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Expresscraft
I had a hobby shop up to a few years ago, After 20 plus years things have changed in the business.mail order was always there but it was never as cut throat as the internet is. I do not think the average customer understands how unethical the hobby business is.most stores have to compete with there suppliers. There is mail order price and retail prices,Nobody pays retail and whole sale barley covers shipping over mail order pricing. So customers come in all day wanting a small part for something they ordered on line and want the store owner to treat them like a loyal customer. It does get old day after day. I am not saying it is right, just putting it out there. Hobby shops will all be gone soon anyways. There only good business aspect is a right off for people that need a tax right off.Outside of that they fill a need that people are not willing to pay for. So they are pretty much done.Even the owners of horizon sold out a few years ago.They did not do that because there was a good future ahead.
This ^
They have been dying since mail order started ( places like tower hobbies ). The only ones I know that are still making it, have either gone online with competitive prices or are in wealthy areas, provide extra/ specialty help, and great customer service to cover their higher prices( train stores).
Dec 17, 2016, 07:20 PM
Was at franks today Ray and Marty there I heard Bernie died I think a month or 2 ago. Store still looks cluttered the used area needs to be cleaned up. Old AM radios from 1980's singles stick falling apart. I would send all that stuff to a E-recycle and clean up the place. As always both are friendly get to talking store seemed little busy today I saw someone buying an BNF E-flight ARF might have been a present for someone older guy didn't know much. The Min Credit card deal doesn't bother me I just bring cash. I once returned a castle speed controller was a few weeks old just quit working. I told them I called Castle creations and they tried to help me over the phone said to just return it to the store. Marty just swapped it for another no questions asked.
Aug 05, 2017, 12:25 PM

Store closed

Franks Hobby Shop has closed its doors.
It was in business for over 25 years.
Condolences to Bernie's family.
Aug 28, 2017, 04:32 PM
Back to Boats
I never had a problem with Franks' service in the 10+ years I shopped there. Local scuttlebutt is that Marty's wife had been sick for quite some time, and they were not keeping the place stocked due to Marty's unhappy distractions. When she passed away, they closed briefly. Then re-opened briefly, but not on Saturdays anymore (sucks since that's the only day I can get out there).

Then when Bernie died, they closed again for good. That's a real shame since Marty was always a nice guy and I feel much sadness for him. I hate ordering online but there are only a few options left now.

Before they closed for good, Ray said to my friend that they were going to get into a new place just down the road but that hasn't happened and I kinda doubt it will. There's nothing good about loosing a local retail hobby option.
Sep 02, 2017, 11:34 PM
I was in the store the last week Ray and Marty were packing everything up said it was going into storage and they would re-open in a new location although when Marty wasn't there Ray didn't seem to sure on what the plan was that was a few months ago. Supposedly it was going to open up on 32nd street & Shea area I think Marty said he already signed a new lease. Last couple of months I noticed stocking levels were lower and lower even CA glue was only a few on the shelf I asked about it Marty said they were going to restock but I think the shop was just bringing in lot less money then needed to keep the doors open. I think they said they planned on re-open in September but I might be wrong maybe they are going to re-open who knows.
Sep 04, 2017, 12:11 AM
Back to Boats
Quote:
Originally Posted by kell490
I was in the store the last week Ray and Marty were packing everything up said it was going into storage and they would re-open in a new location although when Marty wasn't there Ray didn't seem to sure on what the plan was that was a few months ago. Supposedly it was going to open up on 32nd street & Shea area I think Marty said he already signed a new lease. Last couple of months I noticed stocking levels were lower and lower even CA glue was only a few on the shelf I asked about it Marty said they were going to restock but I think the shop was just bringing in lot less money then needed to keep the doors open. I think they said they planned on re-open in September but I might be wrong maybe they are going to re-open who knows.
I'd certainly like to see them get back on their feet again, but that would be going against the trend in hobby shops these days.

Yeah, in the last several months, they really stopped restocking stuff when it sold out. :/ I heard from someone who knew Marty that Marty was unable to keep up orders because of his wife's health.
Nov 13, 2017, 10:32 PM
Haven't heard anything about Franks I was thinking of them today I opened last new bottle of Foam glue labeled Franks Hobby house. I guess they aren't going to open back up again be nice if someone bought them out and opened up again. There is a place in Tempe called hobby Action they are always busy sell lot of cars and racing quads stuff seems if hobby shop can capture new quad racing market can still make money I go there to buy Lemon-rx receivers. I don't know why hobby stores are so reluctant to get into other brands like Frsky I don't mind paying an extra $10 so local shop can stock it I don't like waiting on shipping from china. Not much choice now hobby bench and Duncan's in the Phoenix area. Why not become a dealer for new battery's like revo and hyperion go to the local shops they all sell stuff like E flight batteries.
Last edited by kell490; Nov 13, 2017 at 10:38 PM.
Jul 16, 2019, 09:09 PM
I was sad to learn Frank's Hobby store is closed. I was a shopper there for years. They had great prices and were always good to me. I will be moving back to the Phoenix area and will miss them. They were the best in the Phoenix area. No one else came close to them as far as RC airplanes.
Jul 18, 2019, 12:18 PM
AeroDan
Sorry I never got to visit Frank’s Hobby. I have relatives in Bullhead City and Golden Valley.
Aug 08, 2019, 08:31 PM
Franks been gone long time now I was at Duncan's they seemed very concerned over the fact that Horizon Hobbies was buying up all the long time model aircraft manufactures. The future for hobby stores was going to be limited against HH online sales. Many of the well known kits, and arfs are now discontinued. I was looking at tower hobbies website many of the TF and Great Planes long term ARFs now say Temporarily Unavailable. The guy at Duncan's said that is because HH bought them out and are no longer producing them.

I suspect it's only matter of time for the other two to go under Duncan's closed their other store while is probably in store with lower leasing cost still not easy to compete with online sales.
Aug 22, 2019, 11:57 AM
AeroDan
I remember when Tower had the BEST mail order catalog/manufacturer selection anywhere. Makes me feel like I’m getting old REAL FAST!!! HH is AWESOME, but damn. You know what I mean?
Last edited by Bell47G2; Aug 23, 2019 at 12:49 AM.
Aug 30, 2019, 10:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bell47G2
I remember when Tower had the BEST mail order catalog/manufacturer selection anywhere. Makes me feel like Iím getting old REAL FAST!!! HH is AWESOME, but damn. You know what I mean?
HH ruined Tower they are turning the hobby into a high volume foam ARF hobby. I get their business model they can make lot more profit on foam selling millions of kits to people who just care about flying. That's how I got started with a foam after going to the club field finding out how much better high quality ARF, or wood kit build was then I was hooked on those. I was about ready to pull the trigger on a few GP models only 12 months ago they had them in stock now they have been discontinued.

Tower was kind of like the local hobby store of the 80's had every little thing you needed in one place now you have to search the internet for everything scattered in 100 different online stores. With the FAA issues I'm getting kind of discouraged with models really thinking about selling everything and getting my glider PPL took a couple of lessons really liked it no stupid medical test, and I can keep my glider on side of my house. Wife says if I go full size I have to sell the models she probably right no time for both I tend to hold on to stuff way too long ends up worthless. Balsa wood models sit around eventually get broken.

Quick Reply