Jun 03, 2011, 01:12 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Frank's Hobbies - Phoenix Arizona - WARNING

WARNING !
Do not use cash when purchasing anything at Frank's Hobbies in Phoenix over $10 (under this amount they charge a service fee anyway). By using your credit card you have automatic Return Protection that gaurantees you the right to return anything for any reason for up to 60 days. Don't be intimidated or hood-winked by these guys.
Frank's Hobby House in Phoenix, AZ is a private company categorized under Crafts. Our records show it was established in 1981 and incorporated in Arizona. Current estimates show this company has an annual revenue of $1 to 2.5 million and employs a staff of approximately 5 to 9. Bernard "Bernie" Frank is listed as the president and Martin Frank (his son) is listed as the owner. In other words, Bernie is NOT just a cashier.
BTW, never, never show any emotion when trying to return an item and getting stonewalled by them as they will all have a good laugh after you leave. All in all, quite a low-brow place.They could care less that their grief over returning a $5 item (part of a much larger purchase) may impact a future $200 purchase.
See how this works, Frank's? Bad business practices travel fast and breed bad press. Google this place check out other reviews.
Last edited by CONDOR2; Jun 03, 2011 at 01:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2011, 12:02 PM
Thanks for the Heads up. I shop at Duncan's R/C but its farther west. They have 2 locations but nothing near as far on the East side as Franks. But they are cheaper than Hobby Bench and great service in the last 2 years Ive shopped there.
Jul 10, 2011, 06:17 PM
Have always avoided them, due to numerous poor reviews.
Oct 18, 2013, 01:25 PM
On the ol' Interweb
Nothing has changed since, they're still the same! I recently purchased a $120 ARF with all required items, which came to almost $250. I purchased 2 optional parts--one was in stock and one was ordered and in 2 days later. When I went to return one of the items, it now became a "special order item" and Bernie didn't want give me store credit. I was never told that any of the items were "special order" and non-returnable. Both optional parts fit multiple planes as well. This place is a joke and I can't see how the stay in business. Between the ridiculous policies, like only having one set of wheels in stock, no CC payment under $10, no refunds, etc.
Last edited by TazRC; Sep 16, 2016 at 12:37 PM.
Nov 23, 2013, 10:06 PM
This is great information to know. I've never personally shopped there but will not support a business that treats their customers like that. I personally shop at Duncan's RC and HobbyTownUSA anyways. But rest assured, cheap parts or not I will not stand for that kind of business behavior.
Dec 30, 2013, 11:35 AM

really?

i must have a different outlook as a bussiness owner (not hobbys) I've only had great experiances there. Pricing better than most every where else in town, and returned compete models small parts ect never having an issue. But I have To admitt I always treat them with respect, in return been treated the same.I coninue to shop there and will as long as i 'm treated the same. Thanks for being there for me!
Jan 15, 2014, 08:51 AM
Gee, wonder if the above post is from the owner? First post, and last post since joined....seems a bit obvious.
But seriously, I think most people treat people at the sales counter with respect, until they are shafted by poor attitudes from the other side.
Feb 07, 2014, 12:42 PM
Eh, Byron from Duncan's isn't always the most pleasant of shop owners either. Tony and Mike are really cool and that's why I've been using the Greenway store. I haven't seen Tony in a while though. I've always had good service at the 43rd and Bell Hobby Bench, I really like Rick, but I know people that hate that store. In many of the mom and pop hobby stores I've been in, the shop owners/employees are grumpy. I've found if you keep going back they warm up

I've never shopped at Franks. To be honest I kind of want to now to see what the fuss is all about. Maybe I'll go look around, if the owners a dick, I'll leave.
Feb 10, 2014, 03:54 PM
Closed Account
Yikes, I'm heading out to AZ in a few days to visit my parents and Franks is apparenetly the closet shop to them so I was going to visit it. Maybe I ought to think about trying someplace else.
Mar 14, 2014, 08:29 PM

Franks Hobby

As with any older persons all have there up's and down days, I have shoped at Franks several time's and my first visits were less than enjoyable. Over time the service has improved, seems to always have what I need and that is more important than anything. Hobby Bench as some drone like people including Rick's wife. There prices are not even close to the word reasonable, but Rick is very experienced and has great advise some times well worth the price. The shaved head guy has the personally of Lurch from the Adams family. Avoid if possible, Duncons seem to cater to electric flyer's and I find the boring! I know Mike and fly with him nice guy The rest not impressed.
Apr 05, 2014, 01:43 AM

Avoid Frank's Hobby House

I'm not sure how this place stays in business. By far the rudest most unprofessional shop in the valley. Bernie (owner) is a first class jerk and apparent hoarder by the looks of the checkout counter. Go to any other shop in the valley or order online. Don't support this place.
Aug 08, 2015, 08:30 PM
I was in there today I heard something about someone having a stroke I'm not sure but maybe it was Bernie he wasn't there his son was kind of over heard his son talking to someone else. I have gone there for years on and off .Never had any of the customer service trouble that people speak about. I have returned things there no problems. I noticed today they have no helicopter parts or kits at all, and some of the shelves were empty. Maybe they are on their way out not sure.
Aug 20, 2015, 03:06 PM
On the ol' Interweb
Bernie's son, Marty, was always nice to me when I was in there... so was Ray. It would be nice if Marty took over the store and made it more customer friendly. They would have my business back. Of course they would have to clean and organize the place too, lol!
Aug 22, 2015, 01:33 PM
I think they could do a lot better if they tried when I went in to buy a flight sim software Marty said the Phoenix display PC was too old to run the new version he didn't want to upgrade it. Store seemed kind of cluttered does need to be cleaned up I would get rid of all that used junk takes up a lot of room looks shabby tangled up wires and stuff. With the price of 2.4 radios no one is going to fly old 72am/fm stuff. Maybe a few used items are good but pair it down to the better stuff. They should work to get new people into the hobby I noticed no quad copters they were complaining about people flying those. If I had a business I would embrace that new market not push it away. I think the shop could do much better if they tried.
Sep 11, 2015, 12:19 PM
I had a hobby shop up to a few years ago, After 20 plus years things have changed in the business.mail order was always there but it was never as cut throat as the internet is. I do not think the average customer understands how unethical the hobby business is.most stores have to compete with there suppliers. There is mail order price and retail prices,Nobody pays retail and whole sale barley covers shipping over mail order pricing. So customers come in all day wanting a small part for something they ordered on line and want the store owner to treat them like a loyal customer. It does get old day after day. I am not saying it is right, just putting it out there. Hobby shops will all be gone soon anyways. There only good business aspect is a right off for people that need a tax right off.Outside of that they fill a need that people are not willing to pay for. So they are pretty much done.Even the owners of horizon sold out a few years ago.They did not do that because there was a good future ahead.

Quick Reply