Jun 03, 2011, 11:35 AM
Detail Freak
Thread OP
Contest

VENUE CHANGE: June 12th, 2011 POINT FERMIN F3F with SCSR

Racers-

I'm happy to announce the next www.socalsloperacing.com event will be an F3F race at the beautiful Point Fermin venue.

This race will be standard a standard SCSR event, meaning that ALL pilots are invited/encouraged to attend, AMA membership is REQUIRED, the fee to enter will be $10, and standard FAI rules apply (ballast internal, 7.5mm minimum nose radius, etc!).
The last round will be decided before the race starts, to keep things fair.
Medals will be awarded for 1st through 3rd, if one of the guys brings a laptop for slope-side scoring.

I will be the Contest Director, and would like folks to show up at 11:30.
I will be asking for help to setup the timing gear, and so the sooner we are ready, the sooner we will be racing.

Point Fermin has "world class" lift on par with the best slopes in the world.

We will likely try to end at a decent hour, to respect our San Diego group of pilots, and also plan on eating at a local haunt afterwards (optional).

Cant make it to this date? Here's the list of races this year:
http://www.socalsloperacing.com/2011.htm

ALSO:
Some of you may be interested in this F3F thing, but may be intimidated... An excellent way to "check it out" is to come and volunteer to work at one of the turn bases. Not much skill is needed to press a button or two when the plane passes the line, and you will learn what works, and what doesn't in the turn.
We at SCSR always encourage slope pilots to come out and see what it's about. YOU DO NOT NEED TO HAVE A 3M RACE PLANE TO RACE!!!!!!
If you have an M-60, 60" molded plane, 2M, or 3M sport plane, bring it. You are racing the clock, and it's both easy to do, and harder than it looks, to do well. In short, it's a lot of fun.

If you have thought about it, stop thinking, just DO IT! New racers fly their first race FREE, and you will have as much help as you want, all you need to do is ask.

I'm pumped!

R,
Target

PS. Please state your intentions with frequency and AMA #

Pilots List

Target
Channel 58
AMA 5956

Dave Cortina
2.4 Gigahertz

Sam A
Channel 41
AMA 918648

Bruno
2.4 G
AMA XXXXXX

Bob M.
2.4 G
AMA XXXXXX

Kyle Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXX

Kyler Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Koby Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Adrian
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Mark C.
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Matt B.
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX
Last edited by target; Jun 09, 2011 at 09:09 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 03, 2011, 11:54 AM
Detail Freak
Thread OP
It will be amazing!
Here's a call out to a non-racer:
Phil Davy, I've heard you have the bug, dude. Try to make it out for this if you can. Bring the Espada and/or one of your numerous other excellent choices.

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Jun 04, 2011 at 09:56 AM.
Jun 03, 2011, 01:56 PM
building season is here.
Tracer on #41
Finally a WP event! I'm in.

Sam
Jun 03, 2011, 02:55 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
WP! I will be there!

Something on 2.4 or 5.8 ghz
Jun 03, 2011, 03:54 PM
I'm your huckleberry
I'm in, ESO or possibly Cyril on 2.4

Bob
Jun 03, 2011, 03:55 PM
Any weekend but THAT weekend!
Jun 03, 2011, 05:15 PM
Detail Freak
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smurfmacaw
Any weekend but THAT weekend!
http://www.socalsloperacing.com/2011.htm
Jun 03, 2011, 10:37 PM
I'm definitely in!!!

32" Patton P-40. 27Mhz

Adrian
Jun 03, 2011, 11:28 PM
Looking forward to WP, it's been a while.

Aris / 2.4
Jun 04, 2011, 09:53 AM
Detail Freak
Thread OP
Just a reminder, we have a method to our madness at SCSR. White Point is a baseball field, and only available for our use on Sundays because it is used for (gasp) baseball on Saturdays...
Also, we intentionally schedule events on both Saturdays and Sundays so that those with obligations one weekend day may get out and race the other.
And, SCSR always attempts to work with the locals of any spot, to try not to "dominate" "their" site. An example is Grass Mountain. The local groups there prefers one day over the other, so we try to schedule all races on their "off" day....
Lastly, we try not to schedule our dates to conflict with other type sailplane events, i.e. larger hand launch or thermal contests. After all, some of us fly both.

So, managing the racing schedule is always a headache, and never easy, but we do the best we can, and it will never be perfect for everyone.

Phil- Sorry for the miss spelling. To answer your question, there only used to be the one 2-day Torrey race; it actually was me that suggested we try another one there during the year, and I also lobbied for Bills Hill. It is because guys like Mark Canfield that come to so many races far from his residence, that I wanted more races south.
Still, Torrey has it's own set of extra problems that you may have overlooked as a Torrey local: Jellyfish, extra cost/hassle for the non-Torrey pilot flying there once a year...
These are real issues for the rest of us.
Regardless, I hope that we see you at a venue other than Torrey. Fermin's lift is especially outstanding, and I would say, regularly stronger than Torrey's is, and the wind is very consistent there also. We've been skunked many times at Torrey in recent years.

Have fun with the Fosa, what a beautiful plane!

R,
Target
Last edited by target; Jun 04, 2011 at 07:50 PM.
Jun 04, 2011, 04:14 PM
Challenge is rewarding
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Davy

Why is Torrey only on the schedule 2 times a year?
There are only two races a year because of the many politics that are at Torrey. We need to have permission form the Torrey Pines Soaring council, which means the TPSS, the Paraglider association, Full Scales.... Lots of work. It needs to be accomplished nearly 6 months in advance. When I started the Torrey Pines Classic, there was a lot of resistance to slope racing at Torrey. It seems to be falling away thanks to all of the active locals and great cross board politics of guys like Mark Canfield and Mark Wood.

Take up Target on his invitation. Most of the slopes they regular have stronger lift and are more consistent than Torrey.
Jun 04, 2011, 05:26 PM
I'm in

Cyril/Extreme

Matt
Jun 04, 2011, 05:31 PM
Sloping the Financial Cliff
Since KP is undecided:

I will make it: Sting 5.8Thz
Jun 04, 2011, 07:47 PM
Detail Freak
Thread OP
Here's a shout out, while I remember it:

I'm missing my ball link pliers, I think I loaned them to someone at Fermin at the last race....
If you have them, PLEASE PM me and bring them to WP.

Thanks!

R,
Target
With lost pliers and mind...

PILOT'S LIST:

Target
Channel 58
AMA 5956

Dave Cortina
2.4 Gigahertz

Sam A
Channel 41
AMA 918648

Bruno
2.4 G
AMA XXXXXX

Bob M.
2.4 G
AMA XXXXXX

Kyle Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXX

Kyler Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Koby Paulson
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Adrian
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Mark C.
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Matt B.
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Brandon M
2.4G
AMA 803520

Tim T
2.4G
AMA XXXXXX

Frank S.
Channel 39
AMA 727029
Last edited by target; Jun 05, 2011 at 05:23 PM.
Jun 04, 2011, 10:33 PM
Team USA F3F Member
Target!

You forgot me!!!!

2400 MHz Vampire and Nyx

Quick Reply