Whats the cheapest I can get into a quadcopter for? - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Jun 01, 2011, 05:31 PM
Expat
Discussion

Whats the cheapest I can get into a quadcopter for?


Hi all
I'm kicking around the idea of a quadcopter, maybe something to lift a GoPro. Just looking for something simple and cheap to see if I like it. Know nothing of quadcopters. Just have a HoneyBee FP, and a couple of airplanes.
Where can I start?

Thanks!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 01, 2011, 06:05 PM
Registered User
FlyLT's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNiceGuy
Hi all
I'm kicking around the idea of a quadcopter, maybe something to lift a GoPro. Just looking for something simple and cheap to see if I like it. Know nothing of quadcopters. Just have a HoneyBee FP, and a couple of airplanes.
Where can I start?

Thanks!
Check this thread .
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1416168
Contact Witespy for more info
Jun 01, 2011, 08:30 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Assuming you're a little bit handy, you could make your own frame out of plywood and square dowels from the hardware store, complete with hardware, for about ten bucks.

When the HK controllers become available, they'll be $30. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17537

motors: $7 x 4 = $28 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8622&aff=61689
ESCs: $7 x 4 = $28 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6457

Add a few bucks for props/connectors etc... $10

So everything except for rx and battery for about 110 bones.
Jun 01, 2011, 10:04 PM
Registered User
bob4432's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by themicahmachine
Assuming you're a little bit handy, you could make your own frame out of plywood and square dowels from the hardware store, complete with hardware, for about ten bucks.

When the HK controllers become available, they'll be $30. http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dProduct=17537

motors: $7 x 4 = $28 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...8622&aff=61689
ESCs: $7 x 4 = $28 http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6457

Add a few bucks for props/connectors etc... $10

So everything except for rx and battery for about 110 bones.
those escs are not compatible w/ the 'hk' kk controller...
Jun 01, 2011, 10:22 PM
Aircraftus Fragmentum
Quote:
Originally Posted by bob4432
those escs are not compatible w/ the 'hk' kk controller...
I didn't think about that... so make it $12/ea for the ESCs to get turnigy plush 18A... that brings it to $130ish
Jun 02, 2011, 01:42 AM
Expat
Thanks all. I'll check that link after work.
I was on HK last night when those controllers were released and still available and saw the commotion. But I've learned the hard way not to jump into something without doing a bit of research first.
themicahmachine, that sounds awesome! I had no idea they were so simple. Are they easier to fly than a FP heli? Sounds like 3 or 4 ch?
Jun 02, 2011, 03:35 AM
Suspended Account
....
Last edited by n3m1s1s; Sep 14, 2011 at 04:31 AM.
Jun 02, 2011, 03:46 AM
Suspended Account
I think he's probably full of it, they might be slow to respond (but even that's debatable) otherwise there's no "compatibility" issue. And HK board is 100% kk board so it should work.
Jun 02, 2011, 04:17 AM
Jose Angel
I have done a post in my blog about this topic
http://spcopter.blogspot.com/2011/04...tor-world.html

Maybe not the cheapest option, but a first approach for a newbie!

Note: shipment to Europe included in the estimation.
Jun 02, 2011, 04:21 AM
Registered User
lipoflyer's Avatar
I ordered the cc board yesterday and built the frame today. Didn't take long but you will need to reglue what was already glued
Jun 02, 2011, 03:39 PM
Registered User
bob4432's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by timecop
I think he's probably full of it, they might be slow to respond (but even that's debatable) otherwise there's no "compatibility" issue. And HK board is 100% kk board so it should work.
why would i be 'full of it'? the non-programmable ss series from hk have known not to work w/ the kk controllers and this a kk controller - pretty simple but op do what you like. there are 2 different version of the hk ss escs - one is card programmable the other is not. i have verified this along w/ a friend, but i guess that means 'i am full of it' seeing it firsthand trying to offer some info i thought would be helpful for a noob...

let tc lead you the way, i am sure you will be just fine.
Jun 02, 2011, 06:47 PM
Expat
Thanks for the links guys!
How hard are these to fly compared to a FP heli? How large do you need to go to carry a GoPro? How many channels are required? Also, is a quad the best all-purpose choice?
Last edited by TheNiceGuy; Jun 02, 2011 at 07:02 PM.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion the fastest motor I can get for the smallest plane i can get gathem Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 19 May 28, 2011 10:18 PM
Yippee! CHEAPEST RTF TREX CLONE / 450 heli YOU CAN GET!! javipons22 Electric Heli Talk 16 Apr 08, 2011 09:42 PM
Discussion Can't get my DSM2 spektrum receiver to go into bind. bropee1 Radios 1 Mar 06, 2011 02:11 PM
Whats the cheapest route to get Bl set up for corona ProfitOfDoom Electric Heli Talk 6 Jul 22, 2004 11:20 AM