Jul 31, 2011, 04:07 PM
Chad
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne
The glue is dry and mine is ready to fly this morning. I'm pleased with the weight. I don't have a scale here but it feels nice and light. Should fly great. I have various motors to try but first up is the good ol' Blue Wonder with a 9x3.8 prop.

Update: Successful maiden. Flies nice and slow. Hovers nicely with the Blue Wonder and a 3S 370 mAh pack stuck to the back of the firewall. Harriers seem pretty solid. I'll have some 3S 800 mAh packs for it soon.

awesome glad to here it went well and it handles good. you put that together quick and it looks great. I am gluing my kfm4 together right now.
And I think with the 800mah batt will be great cause the 370mah cant last that long.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 01, 2011, 06:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420
here you go
awesome, thanks theone420....
Aug 01, 2011, 10:18 AM
My hovercraft is full of eels.
Mine weighed in at 7.5 oz without the battery. I get 4 minutes out of the 370 mAh packs. The 3S 800 packs should double my flight times and give me more balance options. I need a different prop too. The APC 9x3.8 works but the GWS props in that size are lighter. If I could find a 9x6, it might fly with the 2S 800 mAh packs that I already have and that would be sweet!
Aug 01, 2011, 03:07 PM
Do you know the specifications for the 20 inch? motor, esc, bath, prop, servo? I have printed and cut and paste these plans on a piece of foam.
I'll cut it if I already know the specifications.
ty.
alpha
Aug 01, 2011, 06:36 PM
Chad
Thread OP
i would say the AP05 5.4 gram motor up to a 10 gram motor the 10 gram motor will prob give much better power. but if you keep the build under 70 grams with the battery the AP05 motor from HK will work good.

Motor= 5-10 gram motor
Servos= 2-3.7 gram servos from HK work great I use the 2.2gram on a plane of this size
Battery= thunderpower 250mah 2s or hobby king 350-370mah 2s
ESC= 5-8 amp brushless (lightest one you can get)
Prop= 5030 gws for 5 gram motors 6030gws up to 7" propfor larger motors once you get it dialed in play with diff props to see what you like best
Aug 02, 2011, 05:09 AM
and,how about RX?
i mean can i use , 4ch tx and 6ch rx?
Last edited by alphaeyes; Aug 02, 2011 at 05:27 AM.
Aug 02, 2011, 11:33 AM
Chad
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphaeyes
and,how about RX?
i mean can i use , 4ch tx and 6ch rx?
the lightest rx you can find is the best i often take the shells off the rx to save weight.i use spektum so i buy the cheap 6ch orange rx's and remove the orange shell
and you can use a 6ch rx and 4ch tx. You can do 1 servo for ailerons one for rudder and 1 for elevator and the esc that is 4ch and will work fine.
you can also use 4 servos and just use a y harness for the 2 aileron servos. but the extra servo is extra weight that if you can get away without I say do
Aug 02, 2011, 12:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheOne420
the lightest rx you can find is the best i often take the shells off the rx to save weight.i use spektum so i buy the cheap 6ch orange rx's and remove the orange shell
and you can use a 6ch rx and 4ch tx. You can do 1 servo for ailerons one for rudder and 1 for elevator and the esc that is 4ch and will work fine.
you can also use 4 servos and just use a y harness for the 2 aileron servos. but the extra servo is extra weight that if you can get away without I say do
ahh i see.

I'm planning on making this plane with 2 servo, rudder and elevator.
because I rarely use the aileron
I will make this aircraft as light as possible.
thanks for the help.
after I completed the kit, I will order electronic parts at a hobby shop in my town.
Aug 02, 2011, 12:15 PM
Chad
Thread OP
aileron and elevator is a good choice too because with ailerons this plane will do nice rolls and great maneuvers.
Aug 02, 2011, 12:57 PM
I still consider myself a beginner, so please correct me if I'm wrong, but I think you might have your hands full with this model if you just go rudder and elevator. As TheOne420 suggested above, if you need to use only two servos, I would go with aileron and elevator.

Here's why: This model is an aerobatic, low wing, sporty flier, with a "symetric" airfoil and no dihedral. In other words, it's going to go where you point it. Without dihedral, it is NOT self-righting. On this type of model, the rudder truly yaws the plane. I feel like you could end up in a situation where a wingtip starts to dip, and you would not be able to correct it! Applying rudder would just swing the tail around and not necessarily correct the roll.

Please -- if anyone else has more insight - correct me!
Aug 02, 2011, 08:43 PM
Chad
Thread OP
I was thinking the same thing more or less. It should be fyable I believe but it will be a handful without the authority of ailerons. I am sort of new to this as well so am not 100% so this might be a question for someone that has tried such a thing. I'm sure there is a thread on this forum about RET on sport planes
Aug 02, 2011, 08:58 PM
Sounds good to me. That would probably work but you really need all control surfaces functional on this plane for the best results. Sbachs are wildly aerobatic. If you are not prepared for them, you will stick them into the ground repeatedly. I think they really need that rudder to help smooth out the turns as they have a tendency to dip the nose during a banked turn. Just a tiny bit of rudder will keep that nose pointed in the right direction. In tight spaces, I prefer the flat rudder turns with Sbach foamies.

Now... I just got back from the field. It was completely calm but also unbearably hot. I didn't stay long.

This may be my new favorite scratchbuild! I'm still working out the motor/prop/battery combo though. The Blue Wonder 1300 is just not making enough thrust, even on 3S. It will hover, but vertical sucks and both the motor and batteries are getting too hot to create the kind of thrust I want. Next up is the Turnigy Park 300. If that doesn't do it, it's time to order a Motrolfly 2205-1750. THAT will get the job done!

It flies slow. Really slow! It harriers nicely but rocks a bit in high alpha. It has the nicest Sbach foamy KE I've seen yet! (I've built a dozen or more in various sizes for myself and friends over the past year) I was fish swimming and KE looping all over the field. It hovers beautifully and rollers are quite easy with it.

I am VERY pleased with this aircraft! I'll get some video of it soon.
Last edited by SD One.; Aug 03, 2011 at 09:32 AM.
Aug 02, 2011, 09:13 PM
Great info, StormdriverOne! I'm just curious -- in your opinion, at what throttle setting should the model hover? less than 1/2? In knife edge, do you need much aileron correction? And what are your control throws (in degrees)? I'm not used to 3D capable models so just wondering how to properly set one up. I have some electronics from my old eflite p40 300 that I may like to try in this airframe....
Aug 02, 2011, 09:46 PM
Ideally, I like my planes to hover around half throttle or a little over. It doesn't always work out but I try not to overpower foamies. Unlimited vertical is nice but I'd rather keep it light, fly slow and low and have "just enough" power to pull out of trouble. For 3D planes, I want at least 45 degrees of throw on the tail feathers. Ailerons vary from plane to plane but I start around 35-40 degrees, check the roll rates and go from there. I like lots of expo on my 3D rates, 65% or so on everything, but expo is a personal thing and can change with stick time.

From my experience this afternoon, my plane required no aileron or elevator correction once it was in KE. Just roll it over, hold a bit of rudder, release right stick and... pick nose / scratch nads / drink frosty beverage.

Very nice job on the plans there 420!
Aug 03, 2011, 05:37 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by StormdriverOne
Ideally, I like my planes to hover around half throttle or a little over. It doesn't always work out but I try not to overpower foamies. Unlimited vertical is nice but I'd rather keep it light, fly slow and low and have "just enough" power to pull out of trouble. For 3D planes, I want at least 45 degrees of throw on the tail feathers. Ailerons vary from plane to plane but I start around 35-40 degrees, check the roll rates and go from there. I like lots of expo on my 3D rates, 65% or so on everything, but expo is a personal thing and can change with stick time.

From my experience this afternoon, my plane required no aileron or elevator correction once it was in KE. Just roll it over, hold a bit of rudder, release right stick and... pick nose / scratch nads / drink frosty beverage.

Very nice job on the plans there 420!
wow,sound great storm......

Quick Reply