May 31, 2011, 02:26 PM
I Like Deraring
Thread OP
Discussion

Solo pro TBE when pushing the heli too hard?

Hey guys, sorry for posting a new thread, this has probably been answered 100 times.

The problem is, the heli goes into TBE mostly when pushing the heli into a left turn? I have to be pretty hard on the sticks for it to do this, and It is possible to get it out of TBE by holding the opposite direction the heli is 'toileting'

It's not the flybar hitting, I shortened up. ( pretty neat how I did that, I should post a pic)

Unless the flybar pivots too much?

Too much swash play?

Or does it just happen because the c of g is off and the swash has to be tilted?

Please advise, also I made the left aileron endpoint short which helped a lot , but it still does it once and a while?

Any possible solutions would be great fellas!

Cheers!

Jdog
to remove ads between posts
May 31, 2011, 03:20 PM
Hmm.....shortened flybar, huh.

I've got four flybars that I interchange;

One standard, one standard length but stiffened, one shortened to 105mm, stiffened and a bit heavier than standard, and one shortened to 95mm, very light weight (1.1g)

With the two longer ones, TBE has never been a concern. With the shorter, heavy one I've experienced TBE a few times when being energetic on the sticks, and the short light one will enter the swirl quite frequently - to the point where I've given up using it until I fit some heavier weights.

So I'm thinking that weight is a factor, and I'd guess that length also has a part to play - there must be a reason why they're the length they are.

Just my thoughts.
May 31, 2011, 03:27 PM
Fan of just about anything RC
I know what you mean, when going into a hard left banked turn, sometimes the heli starts into a backwards wide spiral, right? Sometimes I can recover from it with a burst on the throttle, while moving the sticks to forward and right aileron. I believe it has something to do with the head setup, the flybar not being controlled by the cyclic input directly, but I'm no expert on that matter.
May 31, 2011, 08:32 PM
I Like Deraring
Thread OP

Your right solopro

You get the cookie on this one! It happened with the stock flybar too...

So, let's fix it!

Msr head on her?

Does anybody know what is causing that?
May 31, 2011, 10:53 PM
Cranky old fart
The 45° trailing flybar damps head movement, it doesn't assist it. As, I've stated many times, it exhibits the same flight characteristics as a coax, including loss of lift under certain conditions (direction, aggressive sticks, etc.), also known as coax death dive. The effect is not as pronounced in the Solo Pro and manifests itself differently. What has happened is the heli has reached a point where it will not bank any further and starts to slew air from under the blades. No air means no control. The TBE is simply the only motion it's capable of with partial lift as it attempts to right itself.

Flybar length and weights will alter the damping effect, which may alter the point at which this occurs; it's hard to say. It will always be inherent to that head design. But you may move it to a point where it would occur outside of the performance envelope of the heli. In theory, you could eliminate the effect by using a very small and light battery, which would raise the CoG and allow more banking. But, that's just my theory; I've never tested it.
Jun 01, 2011, 12:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Balr14
The 45° trailing flybar damps head movement, it doesn't assist it. As, I've stated many times, it exhibits the same flight characteristics as a coax, including loss of lift under certain conditions (direction, aggressive sticks, etc.), also known as coax death dive. The effect is not as pronounced in the Solo Pro and manifests itself differently. What has happened is the heli has reached a point where it will not bank any further and starts to slew air from under the blades. No air means no control. The TBE is simply the only motion it's capable of with partial lift as it attempts to right itself.

Flybar length and weights will alter the damping effect, which may alter the point at which this occurs; it's hard to say. It will always be inherent to that head design. But you may move it to a point where it would occur outside of the performance envelope of the heli. In theory, you could eliminate the effect by using a very small and light battery, which would raise the CoG and allow more banking. But, that's just my theory; I've never tested it.
Interesting, a lighter battery is pretty hard to find, but adding weight in the head is easier. Something like a metal swash might push this trait outside the performance envelope, as Balr suggested.
Jun 01, 2011, 08:48 AM
Cranky old fart
The long and low vertical CoG is what gives it the propensity to remain upright. The damping flybar gives it stability by killing response. But you reach a point where the CoG prevents banking, the lack of power and response can't make up for it and it starts to lose lift; very much like stalling a plane in a climb. A plane starts to fall, but as it falls it gains speed and the wings regain lift. On a heli, your "wings" are rotating, so it won't regain lift quite the same.
Jun 01, 2011, 10:22 AM
Is moving the batt higher up an option?
Jun 01, 2011, 11:27 AM
I Like Deraring
Thread OP
Or does this bird, really need a long and heavy flybar?,

Does this effect happen with the microheli flybar? Is there good reviews about that flybar?
Jun 01, 2011, 12:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdog83
Or does this bird, really need a long and heavy flybar?,

Does this effect happen with the microheli flybar? Is there good reviews about that flybar?
Microheli makes a flybar for the Solo Pro?
Jun 01, 2011, 12:44 PM
2011 - Year of the clones!!!
Think he meant the Xtreme flybar.
Jun 01, 2011, 01:42 PM
I Like Deraring
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank_fjs
Think he meant the Xtreme flybar.
He he

Yeah I meant the xtreme one....ha ha no wonder I couldn't find it on the web

Now lemme take a peak at it....