Dec 03, 2011, 05:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas
My Bixler left HK yesterday and is on its way (EMS express) to me as we speak. Should have it by end of next week.

I went and visited my LHS today and while there i chatted to the plane guy about the Multiplex Easystar (as i figured its basically the same as a Bixler) and found out what gear they carried to suit.

He gave me a fly of the Easy star on Real flight 5.5 sim but it all felt a bit strange in mode 1. I asked about having it set up with the elevator and ailerons on the same stick and he then told me the easy star doesn't have ailerons and that its a 3 Ch plane

Now i dont know if the Bixler and the easy star are that different but i was 100% sure that Bixlers have ailerons and that they are 4Ch planes. Throttle, elevator, aileron and rudder?? Correct me if i'm wrong or is my LHS guy is off his head?

I have bought a mode 2 6Ch Tx with the plan to run throttle and rudder on the left and Ailerons and Elevator on the right. Is this OK with the Bixler?
Of course! You can fly in any mode you like. Just plug the throttle into ch3, the rudder into ch4, the ailerons into ch1 and the elevator into ch2.

And I agree with you, mode 1 is strange.
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2011, 05:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flypoppa
It would also depend on what 'mode' transmitter you had.
Mode 1 is throttle on right, Mode 2 is throttle on left.
Most would if right handed would go for mode 2.
Think about it...
He's already said he has a mode 2 Tx.
Dec 03, 2011, 06:53 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
He's already said he has a mode 2 Tx.
Yea that's right. I was trying to explain the different modes that were available.
Dec 03, 2011, 07:04 AM
Because gas is for BBQ's
Quote:
It would also depend on what 'mode' transmitter you had.
Mode 1 is throttle on right, Mode 2 is throttle on left.
Most would if right handed would go for mode 2.
Think about it...
Yes, The radio i've got coming is mode 2.

Only problem i see with mode 2 is self launching, as i'll have to throw the plane with my dodgy girly throwing left arm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq
Yes, that's the way most of us fly. I think the EasyStar IS a 3 channel. So, we're both right.

And, rudder and elevator on the right is standard with 3 channel models. So, all is good, all makes sense.
After looking further into it it seems the EZ star doesn't have ailerons. So the EZ star costs more but doesn't come with servos, has a brushed motor and doesn't have ailerons! No wonder the Bixler is so popular.

Rudder and elevator on the one stick would kinda make sense, but this guy was saying (and the sim was set up the same way) rudder and throttle on the right and elevator on the left. It really didn't feel natural but i guess its all dependent on what your used to.
Dec 03, 2011, 08:13 AM
Me a long time ago
Well if you fly a 3 channel model with rudder and elevator then you should fly with the right stick (mode 2). So just the throttle on the left.
Saying this, I have seen people fly with elevator on the right stick and rudder on the left.
If you then fly a 4 channel model you would be used to the main controls on the right stick so it becomes easy to use the right stick with aileron and elevator.
So now you would have the rudder on the left stick.
When I fly a 4 channel model I always mix a bit of rudder in with the ailerons. You get a better turn with this mix.
Dec 03, 2011, 09:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by nogas
Yes, The radio i've got coming is mode 2.

Only problem i see with mode 2 is self launching, as i'll have to throw the plane with my dodgy girly throwing left arm.

After looking further into it it seems the EZ star doesn't have ailerons. So the EZ star costs more but doesn't come with servos, has a brushed motor and doesn't have ailerons! No wonder the Bixler is so popular.

Rudder and elevator on the one stick would kinda make sense, but this guy was saying (and the sim was set up the same way) rudder and throttle on the right and elevator on the left. It really didn't feel natural but i guess its all dependent on what your used to.
Don't waste your time with counterintuitive stuff like mode 1.
Dec 03, 2011, 09:05 AM
Quote:
When I fly a 4 channel model I always mix a bit of rudder in with the ailerons. You get a better turn with this mix.
Me too.
Dec 03, 2011, 10:10 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarustheflier1
Here is the test of my Bixler. The model is completely original as the kit, I only changed the propeller with a 6x4 APC. The original motor is quite powerful. At the airfield we all enjoyed a lot. My set up:1800mAh 3S 30C Li-Po, 30A ESC. The measurements at full throttle with 6x4 prop: 20A at 17500rpm about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=978qH...el_video_title
Congratulations. That was an excellent video and some nice flying. Glad you mastered the hand catch.

Bill
Dec 03, 2011, 10:21 AM
Me a long time ago
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gerry__
Don't waste your time with counterintuitive stuff like mode 1.
For someone that was left handed, mode 1 would be a natural way to go.
My earlier RC kit that I built my self was mode 1 as I am a lefty with some things.
At my return to the hobby all I could get was mode 2 . I thought that I could convert it to mode 1 as one could with the old gear by just swapping a spring.
I realised that it is not that easy with this modern gear. So I learnt to fly mode 2. It was not too difficult for me to do.
Dec 03, 2011, 10:37 AM
KC
KC
Registered Loiterer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by icarustheflier1
Here is the test of my Bixler. The model is completely original as the kit, I only changed the propeller with a 6x4 APC. The original motor is quite powerful. At the airfield we all enjoyed a lot. My set up:1800mAh 3S 30C Li-Po, 30A ESC. The measurements at full throttle with 6x4 prop: 20A at 17500rpm about.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=978qH...el_video_title
I also enjoyed your video very much. It's one of the best videos I've seen showing how nice the Bixler can fly.

Thanks for sharing, and welcome to RCG.
Dec 03, 2011, 12:01 PM
Quote:
For someone that was left handed, mode 1 would be a natural way to go.
My earlier RC kit that I built my self was mode 1 as I am a lefty with some things.
At my return to the hobby all I could get was mode 2 . I thought that I could convert it to mode 1 as one could with the old gear by just swapping a spring.
I realised that it is not that easy with this modern gear. So I learnt to fly mode 2. It was not too difficult for me to do.
Also, if you learn mode 2 you can share more easily with your buddies. I've admired a plane as it was flying only to have the pilot hand me the Tx... "Here, try it." It happens a lot, and it's fun. And I've done the same back. Of course we know each other and have seen each other fly!
Dec 04, 2011, 06:06 PM
FPV and Robotics
~Ignore Message~
Dec 04, 2011, 08:55 PM
Waiting for my Medication
Quote:
Originally Posted by hauntfreaks
I've been working with my buddies at FrankenQuad to make a GoPro mount for my bixler... this is what we came up with, I think came out really good.... even added some Neodymium magnets so it fits just like stock canopy... still going to use a couple rubber bands for insurance. ....oops almost forgot I'm using it with GoPro tri-pod adapter...

Umm bixler out of stock US warehouse right now but I do also have a Hawk Sky. Would it fit that also???
Dec 05, 2011, 08:26 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
Quote:
My earlier RC kit that I built my self was mode 1 as I am a lefty with some things. At my return to the hobby all I could get was mode 2 .....
I originally learnt to fly gliders with basic 2 ch 27mHz gear - Rudder on the right stick (because it only moved side to side), elevator on the left stick (because it only moved up & down). Ergo, Mode 1.......

On my return after over a decade layoff (more like a decade & a half) I realised that Mode 2 was the 'Modern Way' and that my muscle memory should have eroded to such an extent that I would be about as bad in either mode. So I did a few hours on a cheap sim, converted the old Skysport 4 back to Mode 2 (which you could do by swapping a spring) and you know what?

I was right - I was just as bad in Mode 2!!!
Dec 05, 2011, 12:34 PM
Flyin' low & slow T-28s!
This has probably been posted, but PLEASE change out your rear control horns and get rid of that God-forsaken connecting rod clamp thing. My Bix went nose-in yesterday when the horn came off during launch and the nut fell off the connector.
I epoxied a new, stronger horn in and launched her again. This time (today) the little control rod clamp just lost grip (despite my double checking it prior to launch) the rod slid free and she nosed in again at launch speed. (WOT)

Yesterday, the Bixler landed in a tall clump of green grass and had no damage.
Today, it hit the dirt and sustained MAJOR damage. The entire tail broke off.... front clip wrinkled and busted up. And the elevator servo is cooked.

Josh and Josh Bixler oughta warn people about these flimsy control pieces and recommend changing them out before Flight #1!
Still, nobody's fault but mine for trusting those tiny, cheapo clamps. Shame on me. DUH.

Mac
Last edited by MaladroitFL; Dec 05, 2011 at 02:49 PM.

Quick Reply