MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab™ Airframes: Knife,FPV-Reconn,Vampire,Y-Siix,QuadOcta,Armour - Page 73 - RC Groups
Jan 20, 2012, 01:09 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike SF
Cool, post some pictures when they are done!
Be happy to!! I just tested a small piece of the sheet I purchased at Amazon.com and it not only matches the finish of the Scarab 150mm base, I was easily able to bend it with a heat gun!

Jim
to remove ads between posts
Jan 24, 2012, 09:44 PM
Name: tricopter.jpg
Views: 120
Size: 86.2 KB
Description: Concept for landing gear

This is a crude image of what I'm planning for the landing gear. I did this as close to scale in a 3D program in order to determine the length of the legs and how much they needed to be bent.

Jim
Jan 26, 2012, 03:54 PM
Scarab quad under the extreme weather conditions. -10°C + wind.

Everything works ok, except battery life is very,very,very low.
Jan 27, 2012, 09:28 PM
Registered DSer
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shikra
The mag and baro is working quite well for me. After all I read I wasn't really expecting too much, but it's better than I thought it would be.
However, I think it will have its most value when GPS position hold / RTH becomes a reality.

I rarely get any opportunity to fly in zero wind, so although it holds altitude and direction very well, it does drift away.

I've tried flying with them enabled - the Mag seems quite effective, but with Baro on it's a little annoying. tends to wander up/down a little. Best left for static altitude hold!
It may be that you would have had better results with some form of baro isolation as the wind travelling over the sensor probably has a really bad effect. Bit like having car window open when you drive

Agree that if flying FPV, good Pids, rates and pilot skills are very effective.

I am looking forward to GPS hold though - imagining using pan/tilt under the copter and concentrating on the shot rather than flying. Perfect for some shots.
Shikra - how do you get the baro to alt hold and the mag to heading hold? I was getting the impression that they cant be made to work yet! Can you please describe how to enable them in the 1.9 software (uncommenting lines) and setting them up in the config? I'd like to get alt hold working at least.

Thanks in advance (and to anyone else who can help out here).

Roger.
Jan 28, 2012, 11:50 PM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
Just got a care package from Quinton today! Needless to say, I've been busy rebuilding my Scarab Hexa into a Y-Six with a roll gimbal. The VoltAir power distributor does well at keeping the wires clean, as well as providing lots of solder pads for extras and goodies. I'm very excited for the new copter with all the new cool parts - a perfect vehicle for my Sony Nex-5n!

Jan 29, 2012, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by quadslo
Scarab quad under the extreme weather conditions. -10°C + wind.

Everything works ok, except battery life is very,very,very low.
I wonder if warming up the battery would help - or is the the high altitude making the copter work harder to fly?

Cool AP photo of the mountain range.

Cheers,
Jason
Jan 29, 2012, 01:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj
Just got a care package from Quinton today! Needless to say, I've been busy rebuilding my Scarab Hexa into a Y-Six with a roll gimbal. The VoltAir power distributor does well at keeping the wires clean, as well as providing lots of solder pads for extras and goodies. I'm very excited for the new copter with all the new cool parts - a perfect vehicle for my Sony Nex-5n!

Hello Jason,

Yes very neat preparation with the Voltair. Why do you put the esc wires like this? Are you going to have the wire running outside the booms? I would turn them 180°. Do you think there is enough place to put the receptor and the video rx between the frames as I do in my QuadOcta? If not, were do you plan to put them?

Cheers,

Gregory
Jan 29, 2012, 06:03 PM
Do it once, do it right
Can someone please post some pics of a scarab Y6 with 230 mm booms.

I have shortended my booms to 230mm total length and am now trying to fit legs. It appears that to make them fit the curved section of the lef will be in contact with the base lifting the mounting face up (not flat with the base plate)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
Jan 29, 2012, 10:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrf900
Can someone please post some pics of a scarab Y6 with 230 mm booms.

I have shortended my booms to 230mm total length and am now trying to fit legs. It appears that to make them fit the curved section of the lef will be in contact with the base lifting the mounting face up (not flat with the base plate)

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Richard
You could try using a 1/64" or 1/32" (or more) plywood shim or washers between the legs and the fame to space them enough so that the curve is not affecting the mounting.

I'm also at the point of deciding on boom length for my Y-six. I've figured out that 260mm booms will work without changing the current position of the legs. Anything less and the legs will have to be moved in to clear the lower prop.

Edit: Just talked to Quinton at MultiWiiCopter.com and he said the stock 290mm booms on the Scarab y-six are perfect. I trust Quinton's knowledge and experience on this matter very much so. Woot! Can't wait for my Y-six to get going!!!
Last edited by crazyj; Jan 29, 2012 at 10:38 PM.
Jan 29, 2012, 10:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by glambert
Hello Jason,

Yes very neat preparation with the Voltair. Why do you put the esc wires like this? Are you going to have the wire running outside the booms? I would turn them 180°. Do you think there is enough place to put the receptor and the video rx between the frames as I do in my QuadOcta? If not, were do you plan to put them?

Cheers,

Gregory
Thanks Gregory. The motor wires will be inside the booms as usual. The ESC wires can be tucked away inside the frame once connected to the motors.

There might be enough space for the FPV stuff in the center frame, but I'm not doing that. I plan on making the FPV modular so it can be easily added/removed when needed. The VoltAir power board has multiple JST connectors that I can plug the FPV stuff into, and also power LED strips when night flying. I like having options.

The FPV camera will be mounted using the 3mm holes that are in the gimbal mounting block shown below. The camera may have to be on a spacer to get it higher so that I can get a clear view around the Nex5n. The video transmitter will probably be placed on the bottom of the frame near the front using velcro. The FPV equipment will be powered off the flight battery using a power filter/buck inverter for video clarity.

Cheers,
Jason
Jan 30, 2012, 12:45 AM
Do it once, do it right
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ
When I was doing the initial testing on the prototype Y6 I was running roughly 260mm arms and it was all good. However, to reduce harmonics and for the sake of testing I reduced the arms down to 230 and it just got better - knew it as soon as I took off. What you need to do is cut the legs down so you get more clearance. It's a bit more work cutting and drilling new holes but worth it from my experience.Quinton also told me straight up that he found the shorter arms were much better.

It's really a personal call and if you get the results you are looking for on longer arms you should just do it. The only thing to remember is that all the info on the MWC site has come from extensive testing from quinton, me and the rest of the team. Id hate to know how many hours goes into each airframe but interestingly we all have very different flying styles and all seem to agree on similar numbers when it comes to physical construction.

Cheers,

John
Quote:
Originally Posted by crazyj
You could try using a 1/64" or 1/32" (or more) plywood shim or washers between the legs and the fame to space them enough so that the curve is not affecting the mounting.

I'm also at the point of deciding on boom length for my Y-six. I've figured out that 260mm booms will work without changing the current position of the legs. Anything less and the legs will have to be moved in to clear the lower prop.

Edit: Just talked to Quinton at MultiWiiCopter.com and he said the stock 290mm booms on the Scarab y-six are perfect. I trust Quinton's knowledge and experience on this matter very much so. Woot! Can't wait for my Y-six to get going!!!

Well thats great.

One test pilot stating Quinton said 230mm boom were best and the other stating Quinton says 290 are perfect.

Who to believe? Too late anyway as I followed John's post and have cut them to 230mm. Hope it flies ok!!
Last edited by mrrf900; Jan 30, 2012 at 03:48 AM.
Jan 30, 2012, 03:20 AM
SILURIA / UK
Yes - its working in1.9

Your hardware needs to be defined properly in config.h file - if you are in this thread I guess you are using the paris / sirius setup. The #define sirius is all you really need to get started.
Then its just a case of enabling it on the GUI white click boxes.
And tuning... Mag probably not needed - it's not critical like the Baro

If you have doen a good job on your balancing and have a good z sensor, you can also try #define TRUSTED_ACCZ

Code is still being optimised though. Hopefully next release will be much better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kahnx
Shikra - how do you get the baro to alt hold and the mag to heading hold? I was getting the impression that they cant be made to work yet! Can you please describe how to enable them in the 1.9 software (uncommenting lines) and setting them up in the config? I'd like to get alt hold working at least.

Thanks in advance (and to anyone else who can help out here).

Roger.
Jan 30, 2012, 03:50 AM
Hello all,

Maybe some wonder what a MultiwiicopterPilot is doing while waiting for FedEx to deliver its YSiix with gimbal...
The answer is training, training and training again.
For your eyes only, our cameraman could infiltrate glambert7777 training camp and film one of these sessions brought to you here:
Scarab Pilot training... before FPV session (2 min 12 sec)

Obviously, you may not need to do that to master your Scarab which is way easier to pilot.

Cheers,

Gregory
Last edited by glambert; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:20 PM.
Jan 30, 2012, 08:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrrf900
[/COLOR]

Well thats great.

One test pilot stating Quinton said 230mm boom were best and the other stating Quinton says 290 are perfect.

Who to believe? Too late anyway as I followed John's post and have cut them to 230mm. Hope it flies ok!!
I just did the same thing and cut mine down to 230mm - but all is good and I may even buy a 2nd set and leave them at 290mm at try! It IS nice to have choices!!

Jim
Jan 30, 2012, 06:01 PM
crazyj, I'm looking forward to see your new videos with the y6 and nex5. Tell us the difference in handling from the HexiiKopta.