MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab™ Airframes: Knife,FPV-Reconn,Vampire,Y-Siix,QuadOcta,Armour - Page 66 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Dec 31, 2011, 02:11 AM
MultiCopterPilot & Film Maker
crazyj's Avatar
Here's another sneak peek at my MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab Avatar tricopter:

MWC Scarab Avatar - Light Show (0 min 34 sec)


I stopped by a junk electronics store today and picked up a bunch of funky items to add detail to the copter (some very cool looking items for mere pennies). Just waiting on the canopy and then it's time to paint!

Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 31, 2011, 02:59 AM
Quad beginner
Cool Jason! I like that you presenting a new dimension in multicopting - scale.

Happy new year!

//Tobias
Dec 31, 2011, 12:28 PM
Registered User
drmgcm's Avatar
Looking real kool Jason, can't wait to see it when you have finished.

All the best for the New Year


Danny
Jan 02, 2012, 03:23 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Hi I'm a long time fixed wing RC pilot with 30+ years experience in RC planes and now recently single rotor RC helis. I've got about 2months experience flying micro RC helis, both flybarred and non flybarred , I'm fairly comfortable doing most basic maneuvers ( figure eights, Fast forward flights, and nose in hovering) but no crazy 3D stuff. But I'm really really interested in aerial photography and some fun flying,, and maybe who knows maybe making a little money on the side doing this??? Is that possible??? I have a fairly good working knowledge of photography ( my wife and I had a small pet portrait business a few years back ) have also done a small amount of video. I'd like to combine my two loves : flying RC and photography. So,,,,,, would like to get experience in a quad or other multicopter. Don't want to spend alot at first ( maybe 300-700usd) currently I'm flying all my planes and helis on a spektrum DX-8. I have two high quality chargers, lots of 2200mah 3s lipos,, and a few 3200mah 4s lipos. Which multicopter would you recommend to get my feet wet and maybe later grow with??
Jan 02, 2012, 03:42 PM
Village Idiot!
ScooterInVegas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Which multicopter would you recommend to get my feet wet and maybe later grow with??
On the low end of your budget, I would build a spider quad with cheap 50-60g 1000-1200Kv motors and a KK board (under $300). There is a pad on the front for a GoPro. I use this frame with a Paris V4 board and its flys GREAT.

http://www.blueskyrc.com/index.php?m...products_id=29

On the higher end of your budget, I would look at the V2 Tri from Mulitwiicopter.com ($799) It comes with a gimbal mount for a GoPro that the board keeps somewhat level to the ground for light AP. This kit has everything included, your just have to build it. (no GoPro)

http://www.multiwiicopter.com/products/sku-19
Jan 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
Hi Which multicopter would you recommend to get my feet wet and maybe later grow with??
I'll second the recommendation that you check www.multiwiicopter.com - they have been very helpful to me and they are also photographers/videographers.

Jim
Jan 02, 2012, 05:59 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
I have a question for those who have built a Scarab Y6. I putting one together, but already had my own carbon fiber 12mm arms. However, I'm confused as to the optimum length. In the online guide, they recommend 230mm for the length, but the arms on the Scarab Y6 kit are 290mm. What is the best length for the arms for the Scarab Y6 with the 775KV motors?

Thanks!
Jan 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc
I have a question for those who have built a Scarab Y6. I putting one together, but already had my own carbon fiber 12mm arms. However, I'm confused as to the optimum length. In the online guide, they recommend 230mm for the length, but the arms on the Scarab Y6 kit are 290mm. What is the best length for the arms for the Scarab Y6 with the 775KV motors?

Thanks!
230 is the go mate. You could try 290 but during testing the prototypes we found 230 to be the best.
Jan 02, 2012, 09:52 PM
Village Idiot!
ScooterInVegas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc
I have a question for those who have built a Scarab Y6. I putting one together, but already had my own carbon fiber 12mm arms. However, I'm confused as to the optimum length. In the online guide, they recommend 230mm for the length, but the arms on the Scarab Y6 kit are 290mm. What is the best length for the arms for the Scarab Y6 with the 775KV motors?

Thanks!
I dont know about the length, and Im wondering the same thing (MWC Y6 in my future) but I do know the Y6 has 12/10 arms, not the 12/11 that the other MWC's come with.
Jan 02, 2012, 10:05 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ
230 is the go mate. You could try 290 but during testing the prototypes we found 230 to be the best.
Thanks AP_OZ! I orginally was going to cut them at 230mm, but figured I should check with you guys first! ScooterinVegas just posted about the 10mm vs 11mm inner diameter. Mine are 10mm carbon fiber - do you see any problem with the thinner walls with the Y6 configuration?

Jim
Jan 02, 2012, 10:08 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas
I dont know about the length, and Im wondering the same thing (MWC Y6 in my future) but I do know the Y6 has 12/10 arms, not the 12/11 that the other MWC's come with.
Yeah, mine are 10mm ID - but seem to be quite strong. I'm going to finish with these and will keep you posted. I still need 3 more motors, the Paris board and I'm currently fashioning some legs. I also thought I would use the engine lock-over and I have to order a set of those.

Jim
Jan 02, 2012, 10:15 PM
disenfranchised...
AP_OZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc
Thanks AP_OZ! I orginally was going to cut them at 230mm, but figured I should check with you guys first! ScooterinVegas just posted about the 10mm vs 11mm inner diameter. Mine are 10mm carbon fiber - do you see any problem with the thinner walls with the Y6 configuration?

Jim
Hi Jim,

No worries mate. Always happy to help.

The thinner booms are okay as a temporary measure as long as you don't fly too hard. I used the thinner booms initially and it flew okay. In saying this I always fly conservatively and never really threw it around or did any aero's (that's what my little quad and tri is for).

Bottom line is use them if you've got nothing else - just don't push them too hard.

Cheers,

John
Jan 02, 2012, 10:23 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ
Hi Jim,

No worries mate. Always happy to help.

The thinner booms are okay as a temporary measure as long as you don't fly too hard. I used the thinner booms initially and it flew okay. In saying this I always fly conservatively and never really threw it around or did any aero's (that's what my little quad and tri is for).

Bottom line is use them if you've got nothing else - just don't push them too hard.

Cheers,

John
Hey John - Thanks! No - I plan to use this with a GoPro and FPV, so I don't plan to fly it too hard (gonna have to build another for that! - yeah - I'm addicted). One more thing - is the 230mm the measured length of the arm, or the length that extends from the base? I'm using the Scarab 150mm base with the custom red aluminum mounts.

Thanks for all the help, mate!!

Jim
Jan 02, 2012, 10:30 PM
Village Idiot!
ScooterInVegas's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jimfc
Yeah, mine are 10mm ID - but seem to be quite strong.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AP_OZ
Hi Jim,

No worries mate.

The thinner booms are okay as a temporary measure as long as you don't fly too hard. I used the thinner booms initially and it flew okay.
Wait, Im confused. I thought the 12/10 arms were the thick wall Y6 ones?

Quote from the web site:
6 x 12/10mm Carbon booms 260mm (three x spare YSiix specific CF booms)
Jan 02, 2012, 10:49 PM
So I have a head on my butt.
jimfc's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ScooterInVegas
Wait, Im confused. I thought the 12/10 arms were the thick wall Y6 ones?

Quote from the web site:
6 x 12/10mm Carbon booms 260mm (three x spare YSiix specific CF booms)
Sorry - that was my error - I meant to state that mine are 12mm/11mm - 11mm inside diameter! The 10mm ID are the thicker wall versions. The ones I have were intended for a 450 helicopter.

Jim


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log Twisted Hobbys - Telink 43" SU 29 - Build, Fly, Vid hercdriver7777 3D Foamies 635 Oct 27, 2017 10:37 AM
Discussion Radical RC Stick 400 Build Thread~~~Now with Video Carnifax Electric Plane Talk 186 Aug 20, 2014 09:55 PM
Question Skywalker 3 Build Advice and Eventual Build Thread! Ecibob FPV Talk 2 May 01, 2011 05:46 PM
Discussion Easyglider Build Thread (Help wanted) worzul Foamies (Kits) 2 Mar 18, 2011 08:45 AM