MultiWiiCopter.com Scarab™ Airframes: Knife,FPV-Reconn,Vampire,Y-Siix,QuadOcta,Armour - Page 543 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Sep 11, 2017, 09:16 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
What FC and motors are you running there?
the paris air3 inav with m8n gps and the old model MT2216 v2 900kv tiger motors
to remove ads between posts
Sep 11, 2017, 09:25 AM
How do you like the iNav setup?

I've considered losing the v5r1 board, but then I'd lose my OSD etc. What is the setup you actually use under the main plate?
Sep 11, 2017, 09:51 AM
not a very descriptive image but
air3 inav on top of that dark green imu anti vibration gel stuff (lol)
held down for extra security with a compression band
on top of that carbon X plate notmally meant for 4x anti vibration balls (I didn't use them as they move around too much with all the cables connected)
underneath that and literally 1mm from the roll shaft that goes to the rear mounted roll motor for gimbal is a 5in1 matek PDB. There are better PDB's out there but it does the job for me.

I don't use OSD, never have, I have a voltage sense module connected to radio receiver for voltage telemetry and my radio has rssi as well.
If you want OSD get one of the andromeda osd and pdb they recommend for the air3, I used it, it's built very well but doesn't support some cameras so make sure you have the right camera and if you don't want an xt60 soldered in that's almost impossible to remove ask them not to do it. Also it takes up a decent amount of space and there is no real mounting point for it on the scarab. Otherwise, thumbs up from me.

I really like iNav, it's very good. I have tried to set up multiwii configurator before I couldn't even get it to work.
I have used mission planner and NAZA as well.
I personally like iNav the most but I also like how easy NAZA is. iNav, is more tunable, it flies smoother, its position hold is very good (the air3 needs open cell foam over the baro) on par with NAZA and on top of that in angle and gyro modes it flies much smoother. If you tune it well it can descend through its own propwash without going spastic like NAZA does.

I have never used multiwii before but from what I have seen and heard the air3 inav will be an upgrade for you. I do understand though that multiwii still has one of the best gyro modes out there if tuned properly... so I have read and seen anyway.

One thing I noticed when I went from NAZA to the air3 was that it seemed more efficient too, like it would fly longer, don't know how.
Unlike the NAZA though it's not really intended for you to fly around in gps mode, it's just there for parking, it snaps in and out of its position quite harshly when in 3d poshold mode. I haven't given 2d althold a decent try yet.
I used to fly only rate mode when I didn't have a gimbal and it was really good, so nice to fly, last video I did with it below. The stack at the end is my own fault, I set motor timing lower in blheli and it didn't have the power to pull out like I was used to.
Now I'm just setting this up to do some simple video and photos.

air3 iNav test flight on Scarab Reconn and Crash (my fault) (3 min 22 sec)

I'm not a very experienced pilot so for me to just pick up the scarab, fly it a bit with the NAZA in manual mode just a few times then change to the air3 and it working really well without much hassle says a lot about the hardware and software I think.
Last edited by Zac Johnson; Sep 11, 2017 at 09:56 AM.
Sep 11, 2017, 11:13 AM
Yeh I have the older mega iosd, Im impressed with thr footage considering you have no gimbal on.

I need to rebuild my Reconn v3, but something is really out of balance atm.

Laat thing I did was stack it into a tree some years ago and bought the armored gimbal but never really got it back into the again, it was my.first quad. It was super smooth, until the accident anyway! So yeh had the gimbal installed after rebuilding but it was acting up so I have an issue somewhere, keep meaning to rebuild it again I just havent as Ive been spending all my.time o n the racers, think I should tho.
Sep 11, 2017, 07:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Suteki
Yeh I have the older mega iosd, Im impressed with thr footage considering you have no gimbal on.

I need to rebuild my Reconn v3, but something is really out of balance atm.

Laat thing I did was stack it into a tree some years ago and bought the armored gimbal but never really got it back into the again, it was my.first quad. It was super smooth, until the accident anyway! So yeh had the gimbal installed after rebuilding but it was acting up so I have an issue somewhere, keep meaning to rebuild it again I just havent as Ive been spending all my.time o n the racers, think I should tho.
the things that would likely bend on the scarab in an accident is the older version motor mounts or the pins for the boom holders. The pins themselved could be bent enough that your arms come out at an angle.
The new motor mounts are good, if you install them a certain way the motors will lean in a couple degrees which helps with stability. They genuinely work as heat sinks and are much stronger.
Have a close look at the mounts, boom holders and boom pins to see what's bent.