May 30, 2011, 03:24 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lost my Champ

So I was flying my Champ yesterday at the field I usually fly it at. I'm not sure what happened but as soon as I took off, I had barely any control over it and it just went higher and higher and further away from me while kind of doing circles. I'm guessing something malfunctioned. Eventually it got over the nearby forest and I knew it was in big trouble. Didn't take long before I saw it spiral down between the trees.

Looked for over two hours for it but the forest is very thick and the trees very tall so I didn't find it. Guessing it's stuck on top of a tree somewhere.

Of course over night we had massive thundershowers so the Champ is most likely dead either way.

Looking for advice on what I can get now instead. I'd buy another Champ but I think it only comes in RTF and I don't need all that other stuff, just the plane and internals.

Is there another plane I can buy where I can reuse all the batteries (150mAh) I had bought for the Champ as well as the radio? Doesn't have to be a good plane as I'm planning to upgrade to something more advanced anyway but would like to keep something simple and fun around still.
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2011, 03:39 PM
Sorry about your Champ! Keep looking for it!
UM T-28 BNF as a replacement.
May 30, 2011, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by soundguy63
Sorry about your Champ! Keep looking for it!
UM T-28 BNF as a replacement.
Thanks! Although I might give up on the Champ... already have cuts everywhere from climbing around in the forest. Also fell into a creek that I tried to jump over, haha.

The T-28 looks nice but kinda pricy for what I had in mind. Is there anything really cheap, like a china plane or something?
May 30, 2011, 04:52 PM
Try HobbyKing.com - this is the actual King of China - you might find what you need there
May 30, 2011, 05:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLager
...another plane I can buy where I can reuse all the batteries (150mAh) I had bought for the Champ as well as the radio?...
The Ultra-Micro BNF T-28 ($99) is your best bet. The other option is to buy some sort of plug-n-play (PNP) plane and order an Orange Rx Spectrum compatible receiver ($7) from HobbyKing.

That Champ radio is good for about 300-400' range but no more. It works well for Ultra-Micros but the range limitation will become an issue for larger planes.
May 30, 2011, 05:38 PM
I enjoyed my ultra micro corsair until I started flying my fullsize corsair...
The ultra micro is not a great flyer, especially after any glue repairs are made. The T-28 sounds better.
IMO if your flying outdoors you probably want to add a few inches to your size. 25" should be suitable for some wind and outdoor flying.
May 30, 2011, 07:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLager
Thanks! Although I might give up on the Champ... already have cuts everywhere from climbing around in the forest. Also fell into a creek that I tried to jump over, haha.

The T-28 looks nice but kinda pricy for what I had in mind. Is there anything really cheap, like a china plane or something?
OH JUST WAIT!!!! Soon, very soon, it will get very, very pricey! Anyone even dare to disagree?
May 30, 2011, 07:18 PM
My Co-Pilots Rock!!
Sorry to hear about your Champ.. I have lost a few planes to the Tree Gods and it is never any fun.

I am assuming you are still a relatively new pilot as I make this suggestion...

Consider this airplane....

http://www.headsuprc.com/servlet/the...er-Moth/Detail

It will be a step up from your Champ in terms of size and speed, but not much. And it is a classic design that will you will still enjoy flying no matter how far you progress in the hobby.

It's a pretty easy build, and makes a very very good first build. It should fly fine on your Champ radio - I have a Champ too so I know the radio - and if you use one of the orange receivers and a cheap brushless ESC it won't cost too much since it comes with brushed motor. You can also still fly it in pretty much the same amount of airspace you flew the Champ in.

You can also upgrade it easily with an inexpensive brushless motor - heads up has good info on the upgrade.

Wolfe
Last edited by wolfewinde; May 30, 2011 at 07:24 PM.
May 31, 2011, 09:35 AM
Who are these that fly?
First post -- OP I feel your pain. Exact thing happened to me Sunday afternoon. Calm at a vacant soccer field, but when I flew near some 60' pine trees, there was an updraft and shot my plane up and up (note my handle). Put it into a power dive full throttle, but it only went higher until the TX lost control, too. There's a cliff behind the treeline and then a huge swamp, so it's gone up in the canopy somewhere.

Thx to the others for their suggestions. I did call Hobby Zone this morning. The Warranty Service rep was kind and we figured up all the pieces you could order to build a Champ and it came to $91.00. They are willing to do a "one-time only" deal called Fly Away (!) that offers the whole Champ kit box for $69.99, including shipping. Call 1-877-504-0233 if interested.
May 31, 2011, 11:31 AM
Old, New Guy
Best price fer building a Champ form parts;
http://www.wholesaletrains.com/Airpl...e&Item=HBZ4900
$37.99 for the fuse w/electronics, can't beat that.
shipping bout $9
Also a good place to buy a Super Cub from parts
May 31, 2011, 11:45 AM

Replacement

Get a dynam Hawk Sky :P good range, good trainer :P lots of reviews on this forum
Last edited by Gingerwill199; May 31, 2011 at 12:30 PM.
May 31, 2011, 11:55 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubo
shipping bout $9
What other electronics are in the fuse besides the receiver? I guess the motor?
If thats the case it would be cheaper to get the motor and fuse seperate. $8 for fuse, $11 for motor/gearbox.

ESC and servos are on the receiver which sells for $53 and I doubt its included in the electronic version of the fuse.
May 31, 2011, 12:05 PM
Who are these that fly?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tubo
shipping bout $9
Thx for the link, but I'm a bit confused. I'm a real noobie, but if I order the fuselage and electronics won't I also need wings, tail assembly, prop, landing gear, etc.? Even with the great prices on your link, that still pushes the price above $80 for replacement. Am I missing something?
May 31, 2011, 12:30 PM
Get a Dyam Hawk Sky :P The best plane available!
May 31, 2011, 12:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gingerwill199
Get a Dyam Hawk Sky :P The best plane available!
Do you speak from experience?

Quick Reply